Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Runaround
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Default An observation

I've had VH-1 Classic for about 5 months and get to see a lot of videos that I didn't see back in the 80's. Ever notice how many 80's hair bands guitarists copied EVH's style of playing? I remember Sammy saying on a VH-1 show (20 to 1: Best guitarists) about Eddie's style being ripped off in the 80's.
    Last edited by VHfan79; 05.06.05 at 08:39 AM.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I don't see it as a rip-off. Same could be said about guitarists of 70-s ripping off Hendrix.

Last Online

06.12.07 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did we notice how many guitarists in the 80's copied Edward Van Halen? Only about every one of them, yet no one even came close.

He's the only reason that ANY guitarist in that era picked up an axe. And made two-handed fretting part of their arsenal of tricks.

Van Halen as a whole was the benchmark for most rock outfits for the better part of that decade
    Talkin Some New Kicks

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Mishar McLeud
    I don't see it as a rip-off. Same could be said about guitarists of 70-s ripping off Hendrix.
    I think there's a difference between being influenced by someone, and rippin off their style.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    I think there's a difference between being influenced by someone, and rippin off their style.
    Well, whom do you have in mind when talking about guitarists who ripped off Eddie's style ?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Too many to list.

Vito Bratta comes to mind first though.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It wasn't so much ripping him off as much as it was something they had to do to survive musically. Along comes this kid who does the strangest most mind-boggling things with his instrument, not to mention he's a mad man on stage, and everything changed. They had to adapt to the style or they would be seen as boring.

Zakk Wylde asid it better than I ever could: "All these guitar player were walking around thinkin' they're the shit and they got it figured out and then Eddie comes in, looks around and say's "ok...BAM!!! ERUPTION MOTHER FUCKERS!! Shove that up your fuckin' asses."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    Too many to list.

Vito Bratta comes to mind first though.
    Next would come Nuno. Not that that's bad. I love both Vito Bratta and Nuno, but theres no denying their biggest influence.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Yea same here Junior. I don't think it's a bad thing either. Shit, I totally sound like EVH when I play..well..cept the whole being great part.

This might be better suited for the Guitar Room.
    Last edited by SuckaInA3Piece; 05.06.05 at 10:10 AM.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I agree that Zakk was tremendously influenced by EVH, he has all those Ed's copyrighted trics and even goes to Eruption when soloing, but the dude has his own independent tone and technique. In no way I'd consider him as a rip-off.
    Schon? No. Dimebag? No. Great players have their own style, about the rest I don't care that much.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

I think you can tell who was influenced by EVH and who was ripping him off.

For example, simply tapping on the neck is more influential. Steve Vai taps. He doesn't sound like Eddie. Neither does Satriani.

However, when guitarists start combining certain elements of EVH's style like the tapping, false harmonics and whammy bar dives, and phrasing, then you get into ripping him off. Take Vito Bratta's solo in the live version of "All You Need is Rock & Roll." He does this blues thing at the end and I swear that could be EVH playing. Total ripoff.

There were some monster players in the 80's, but most of them were complete Eddie ripoffs, or clones of clones of clones. The ones that stand out are the ones who took what Eddie did and expanded on it to where it became part of THEIR style, not just them mimicking Eddie.
    Last edited by mk5; 05.06.05 at 10:31 AM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:34 PM
    Liked 727 Times in 344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mishar McLeud
    Schon? No. Dimebag? No. Great players have their own style, about the rest I don't care that much.

Dimebag thought Eddie was the shit. Schon was touring with Carlos Santana when he was 16, so I don't consider Schon a "80s" guitar guy.

A lot of guys that were in the 80's hair bands came up in the late 70s from Southern California, right alongside Van Halen. I think there is a mis-conseption here. You have to remember the state of music in 1978 when Van Halen hit the scene. Disco was going strong. If it wasn't disco, it was the era of the singer/songwriter (Billy Joel, Dan Folgelberg...) Anyway, hard rock was pretty much an underground thing that alot of people were afraid of. Ozzy, AC/DC, and KISS actually scared people. Then, along comes Van Halen. First of all, a bunch of fun loving guys. They weren't biting the heads off bats, or putting on crazy face paint, they were just partying hard and going on stage and kicking ass. They weren't as threatening as AC/DC, KISS or Ozzy, so were more readily embraced by average people. Then Eddie married Valerie, and America so loved Val, that they decided, "Hey, the guy can't be that bad"

So, Van Halen's success opened the door for a lot of other bands in Southern California to make it big in the 80's. Alot of the guitar players out there were shredders, and brought that style of music to the forefront. Motley Crue is a good example. They were able to capitalize on the success of Van Halen.

In the late 80's there were a lot of guitar players that came up listening to VH, so that was just an influence to them. Consciously or not, anyone who plays guitar borrows techniques from the guitarists they respect.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's also a synchronicity thang too.

You had Eddie and Randy spearheading the virtuoso revolution out west, you have Steve Stevens and others on the East Coast. Over in the UK, there was Gary Moores cult following and Michael Schenker. There was a three-year fulcrum between 1982 and 1985 that just kicked the guitar to another level. It was a bunch of guys my age ( born between 1954 and 1967) that had all been brought up listening to the same music, coming from the same place and going in the same direction.
    I saw Night Ranger open for Sammy Hagar in 1980 and I remember thinking "Wow". I hadn't seen guys play guitar with that kind of attack. I'd seen guys like Ronnie Montrose and Neal Schon, both played fast, and I'd seen Nugent, who was a powerful but long-winded guitarist. I was listening to Randy Rhodes and Eddie at home and they represented possibilities to me about just how far the guitar could go in rock music. They opened a door, so why not walk through it and follow their lead for a while?

Plus you have to factor in that the Floyd Rose and Khaler locking tremello systems were suddenly available and almost every guitar player had to have one. Overnight, we could do bitchin' dive-bomber moves and elephant sounds.
    As a studio guy, I can tell you that most of us would get instructions like "Do a Van Halen thing here", it was now part of the landscape.

So yes, everybody was doing their own version of Eddie back in the eighties. I see no problem here. Just look at popular music since 1991....there ya go.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mk5
    Neither does Satriani.

However, when guitarists start combining certain elements of EVH's style like the tapping, false harmonics and whammy bar dives, and phrasing, then you get into ripping him off.
    Surfing With The Alien.

Favorite VH Album

VH I, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake, dirty movies
    Last Online

03.06.12 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bratta is the fuckin shit