Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default So...Ward Connerly Shows Up In My Neck Of The Woods

Human bile-duct Ward Connerly was invited by some asshole organization out at the CSUMB to spew his crap.

No big, he's got a right to speak. Even though he's wrong and comming from a place of self-loathing that he externalizes has hatred of the U.S.. Well he sort-of hates the U.S. Government, since he works for a state university that receives money from the federal government he's technically on their payroll and I'm sure he cashes every paycheck. Anyway, back to the show...

I had to see this for my self. I went down, parked on the dark side of the moon (CSUMB is at the old Fort Ord, my home away from home as the 7th Infantry historian), this way if trouble broke out my truck would be safe from rocks or bottles. I get down to where he's going to speak and this and I see a large group (30 or so) of self-identified "Young Republicans", mostly female BTW, holding a small protest rally. Actually their plan was pretty smart for a bunch of Republicans, they simply planned to read the names of the people killed in the attacks of 9/11/2001. These people, according to Connerly, deserved to die. Well, about 20 mintues into their little show, counter-demonstrators show up...to..protest...the..reading..of..the..names... of..the victims..of 9/11. They carried signs that said the war on terror is racist (?), oblivious to the fact that we didn't start it, that it was declared on us in 1992.
    What an uninspired group of douchebags. First off, half of the - whatever the fuck they are - were over 50 years old. The one detainment by police I saw was an old, butt-ugly, woman about 60 years old. She'd gooten in the face of another older man and then hit him with her sign. The man she hit turned out to be there to read his son's name, you see his son was killed in the North Tower. I should also point out that he didn't press charges, demonstrating the level of class on his side of the protest. Don't these fucking people bathe? The only people there who shaved their legs were the guys. The young repubz didn't block access to the theater, you had to go find them, they weren't the ones looking for a fight, that would be the anti-war crowd.
    Anyway, I left and went home. According to the news, the lecture(?) went on as planned and the Young Republicans wrapped up their reading of the names and went on their way.

I went to sleep last night chuckling to myself about Ward Connerly. The irony of him giving a lecture about the evil of the United States government in a lecture hall built by the US Army and then given - not sold- to the university. A university build amoungst the buildings of t Fort Ord, where men were trained and sent to places like Attu, Guadal Canal, Korea, Vietnam and a place where the previous tennant deployed to Honduras and Panama.

On this night, I wonder if Mr Connerly knows just how small and pathetic a man he actually is, standing in their shadows?
    Last edited by Axxman300; 05.03.05 at 11:06 AM.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Axx, Ward Connerly is from California and leads the campaign against racisl preferences...I think you mean a different Ward...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Axx,

Sacto is right...your talking about Ward Churchill.

He isn't a small and pathetic man. He is a Native American professor and he has a different opinion of 9/11 than the majority of Americans…that doesn’t make him a “human bile-duct”.

Your classification of him is unfair. It’s your opinion, so I am not going to say you are wrong—just unfair.

His point is valid to him. I don’t think it‘s all that bad really. Do you even know what he has actually said? I doubt that you do according to your comments.

Native Americans have a right to bitch. We took their land from them.

Just my opinion.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

07.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Ward Churchill came to my college UW-Whitewater a few months ago. My school got national coverage for this. Unlike many other places my school allowed him to speak and didn't cancel his trip. While I don't agree with what he said, I believe the media really took his words out of context.

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    He isn't a small and pathetic man. He is a Native American professor and he has a different opinion of 9/11 than the majority of Americans…that doesn’t make him a “human bile-duct”.

Your classification of him is unfair. It’s your opinion, so I am not going to say you are wrong—just unfair.

His point is valid to him. I don’t think it‘s all that bad really. Do you even know what he has actually said? I doubt that you do according to your comments.

Native Americans have a right to bitch. We took their land from them.

Just my opinion.
    Churchill isn't Native American. Even if he were it doesn't grant him some kind of pass for being an asshole.

Come to think of it, you're a perfect example of why Churchill has claimed to be a Native American. The claim is a means to help shield himself from criticism and you use that very cover as a means to agree with him.

You said it yourself, "Native Americans have a right to bitch."

Once you do a little research and learn that Churchill isn't a Native American what, then, will your stance be on his comments? Since he's not a Native American does that mean he still has "a right to bitch?"

Have fun at the next Maggie Gyllenhaal movie you see.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Down In Flames
    Churchill isn't Native American. Even if he were it doesn't grant him some kind of pass for being an asshole.
    Good catch. I am glad you pointed that out so that I wouldn't go on thinking it. I did a little more research myself and found that he indeed is not a Native American. In fact, he has been masquerading as one, which is shitty, and does make him an asshole, but his comments on 9/11 do not.

Come to think of it, you're a perfect example of why Churchill has claimed to be a Native American. The claim is a means to help shield himself from criticism and you use that very cover as a means to agree with him.
    That's your opinion and your welcome to it.

You said it yourself, "Native Americans have a right to bitch."
    Yes, they do. You disagree? I sure hope not, because if you do, that is pretty sad.

Once you do a little research and learn that Churchill isn't a Native American what, then, will your stance be on his comments?
    Same as it was before. They were not bad. It was his opinon, and he has every right to say it.

Since he's not a Native American does that mean he still has "a right to bitch?"
    Yes, it does.

Have fun at the next Maggie Gyllenhaal movie you see.
    Thank you, I will.

The American Indians have a right to bitch comment in my original post was not meant to be taken as the sole reasoning of my statements...it was an incidental remark.

The fact remains, no matter what his stance, opinion, or how shitty a person he might be, he still made a good point with his comments. It was taken out of contex on several points to make it sound worse than it actually was in my opinion.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Duuuoooh!!!

My bad, I was listening to the radio while I was typing.

My good friend Mike is Navajo, he thinks Churchill is a shitbird. His comments sure aren't helping the Native Americans. They've got it tough enough without this guy linking himself to them.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Native Americans don't have any more right to bitch than anyone else. Their cultures were weak and it gave way to something more powerful, just as has happened a great many times to a great many cultures throughout history.

Unlike most other cultural failures, they've received quite a bit of special treatment. There is nothing inherently disadvantageous to an American being of Native American descent, yet there's a disproportionate amount of codling given to American's of Native American descent. We act as though we should be ashamed of the results of their cultural weakness.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    Native Americans don't have any more right to bitch than anyone else. Their cultures were weak and it gave way to something more powerful, just as has happened a great many times to a great many cultures throughout history.

Unlike most other cultural failures, they've received quite a bit of special treatment. There is nothing inherently disadvantageous to an American being of Native American descent, yet there's a disproportionate amount of codling given to American's of Native American descent. We act as though we should be ashamed of the results of their cultural weakness.
    Other than the "Cultures were weak" remark, I'm with ya. Not to say that I don't agree with that remark as much as the wording.

Other than that, Yeah. Best I can tell the Native Americans living on reservations and crying injustice and poverty are there because they choose to be. They have just as many opportunities as the rest of us and if they don't want to take advantage of them, so be it, but don't cry foul about it.

Being Native American does not give you the right to bitch. Being AMERICAN gives you the right to bitch. It's one of the freedoms we all have. I don't care what you are, culturally, if you are a citizen here you have the right to bitch about anything you choose. No matter how important or trivial.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.30.06 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I've learned, I'd be bitching too if I was stolen from my home, put in a residential school, and forced to adopt a completely new way of life.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

There's an over-sensitivity about certain things. When I say a culture was weak, I mean just that. It couldn't withstand the pressures of another culture. If it had been stronger, it would have adapted and been able to at least co-exist. It couldn't. There's no need to sugar coat things.

That's not to say that Native Americans were without culture, which is exactly how some lesser-people would take that.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Exactly.
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perrott
    From what I've learned, I'd be bitching too if I was stolen from my home, put in a residential school, and forced to adopt a completely new way of life.
    And anybody who was stolen from their home and forced to adopt a new way of living should be pissed.

Their decendants who have not experienced any of those hardships first hand should not. We shouldn't be apologizing for what our ancestors did to their ancestors. That's bullshit.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I have to disagree, Mike.

You can believe that "cultural weakness" BS all you want to make yourself feel better, but the fact remains that we took their land from them. Period.

Do I think it is something that I should leave the country over? No, of course not. Other civilizations have done the same thing. It is part of history.

Does that mean I am not going to recognize their plight, though, just because it's been done before? Of course not, but it seems as though you do.

Recognizing the tragedy of the Native American plight just because it falls into a historical template is not "over-sensitizing" the issue...it is showing compassion.

Failing to recognize it is just naive.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I never said we have to apologize for anything. Just recognizing a past wrong.