Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Putting up a front: Bands on tour with new singers

When bands lose a musician, it's like losing an arm.

But when a singer departs either because he or she stormed off in a huff, got thrown out or, in the worst-case scenario, shook off this mortal coil it's like losing a head.

Prosthetics can give you a new arm. But how many head transplants have you heard about lately?

Such a daunting task hasn't stopped lots of big-name bands from trying to pull off this ultimate makeover. Currently, Queen, the Doors, INXS and Big Brother are each touring with a replacement singer or auditioning for one.

Those last two bands are getting help from the most up-to-date method possible: reality-show auditions.

Similar attempts to fill the void have met with mixed results over the years. Here's a look at how past and present groups have managed without their most public faces:

Queen
    When this flamboyant British band lost singer Freddie Mercury to AIDS in 1991, they vowed never to tour or record again. A wise decision, considering Mercury owned one of the most powerful and expressive yowls in rock history.

But this year, two key members, guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor, thought better of their pledge and decided to tour. To pull this off, they roped in singer Paul Rodgers, formerly of Free and Bad Company. Original bassist John Deacon decided not to join them.

The group is playing theaters in Europe, with plans to hit the U.S. this fall. Though I haven't yet heard them, and while Rodgers remains one of the U.K.'s most soulful singers, he hardly seems suited to the grandeur of Queen. Which means the group probably sounds like some weird hybrid: Bad Queen, anyone?

There's only one Lizard King. Replacing Jim Morrison, front, the lead singer of the Doors who died in 1971, has proved impossible so far.

The Doors
    Finding an apt replacement for Jim Morrison seems about as easy as casting a new James Bond after Sean Connery ditched the series. Yet, in the early '70s, the remaining Doors had a smart idea for a sub: Iggy Pop, a guy who rivals the late Lizard King in both mania and brilliance. As it turned out, the band did their own singing on two terrible albums in the early '70s. Then, last year, they joined with Cult front man Ian Astbury. Drummer John Densmore stayed away and sued, which seemed more than justified. It turned out Astbury was so bad, he'd have probably lost in a Jim Morrison karaoke contest.

INXS will use reality-show auditions to replace singer Michael Hutchence, who died in 1997.

INXS
    The late Michael Hutchence wasn't just a wonderfully huffy singer his feline sexuality made him an erotic one-of-a-kind. Still, the other band members had nothing else to do, so they happily prostituted themselves to reality-show czar Mark Burnett, who agreed to help them search for their own mock-Michael. The sure-to-be-chilling results will air on CBS in July.

Genesis
    In 1974, when Peter Gabriel stormed out of what he called the Genesis "machinery," the band seemed doomed. Who could replace his inspired foghorn of a voice? As it turned out, drummer Phil Collins could. He was to Peter Gabriel what Julie Budd was to Barbra Streisand: a solid knockoff. For a while, the Collins-led band stuck with their early art-rock format. Then they swung in a slicker pop direction, which made them 10,000 times bigger than they were with Gabriel. The group didn't totally collapse until years later, when Collins left and they replaced him with Ray Wilson for one bomb CD.

Van Halen
    When Diamond Dave Roth ankled the Halens to go solo in 1985, the smart money was on Dave to run away with the legacy, especially as he was replaced in the band by the odious Sammy Hagar. But after one good CD, Roth went soft and the Halens wound up raking in more moolah, and scoring more hits, than they did with Roth. Hagar later got into his own tiff with the guys and was briefly replaced by Gary Cherone. But to this day, fans debate Roth vs. Hagar the way some do the Mets vs. the Yankees. Let's just call it a draw.

Judas Priest
    The members of this classic metal band had no intention of fiddling with their formula after singer Rob Halford stormed off. So they hired a professional Halford impersonator. The mock-Halford was so loyal to the band's legacy that when the old singer wanted back in, he graciously bowed out. Now that's love.

Deep Purple
    A host of singers have fronted this long-running metal touchstone. But Ian Gillan remains the great one by divine right he played the son of God in the original "Jesus Christ Superstar." When he left in 1974, they hired the thoroughly awful David Coverdale to mimic him. Coverdale later impersonated Robert Plant in the atrocious Whitesnake, inspiring the Led Zeppelin singer to dub him "David Cover Version," a term that may offer the last word on singer substitutes.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss

Last Online

08.02.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ive heard some queen bootlegs from the current tour and i was real suspect of paul rogers since i didnt know too much about him, but they sound great and the tour has been getting really good reviews. i think they did the right move, i never saw queen live but now is the chance to actually hear those songs live...i like that they arent denying their past, this still leave the stage for boheim rhapsody and you have freddie and he is used and referenced a lot. its nice that they are also playing paul rogers stuff so it isnt really a queen tour, it really is queen plus paul rogers.

the doors are different beasts since they are doing all doors stuff and it seems just mooching on their name.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.26.09 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You forgot the single most successful singer change of all... AC/DC!!!

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Skidz of course.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:30 PM
    Liked 1,619 Times in 996 Posts

Donor

IMO, the only two hard rock acts ever to pull off a singer change successfully are AC DC and Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    IMO, the only two hard rock acts ever to pull off a singer change successfully are AC DC and Van Halen.
    Sabbath sorta did with Dio, but nowhere near the success as AC/DC and Halen

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw
    Sabbath sorta did with Dio, but nowhere near the success as AC/DC and Halen
    Yeah, Mob Rules was good, but...just wasn't quite as bad ass as the Oz man.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Yeah, Mob Rules was good, but...just wasn't quite as bad ass as the Oz man.
    It ain't Sabbath without Ozzy

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by empyre44
    ive heard some queen bootlegs from the current tour...
    What kind of songs are they playing together?

Yeah, how could the article writer leave out AC/DC? Haven't heard any of the new Journey, but seems they do okay with fans with Steve Augeri. And then no mention of J. Geils Band, The Clash, Foreigner & Bad Company as failures...

I love INXS and want them to continue making music, but I wish when they do settle on someone to sing for them they'd call it something other than INXS.

Last Online

Donor

Know Sabbath, know ozzy?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Amen brother!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And another thing. Where does Queen get the balls to tour without Freddie Mercury? I don't care how good Paul Rodgers may or may no be. This is blasphemy.

Brian May and Roger Taylor should be ashamed of themselves.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    And another thing. Where does Queen get the balls to tour without Freddie Mercury? I don't care how good Paul Rodgers may or may no be. This is blasphemy.

Brian May and Roger Taylor should be ashamed of themselves.
    dude whatever......he's doing well and the fans are enjoying it. and they pay tribute to freddie (according to one persons account in a previous post above) sounds like a good show to me.

some would probably argue that replacing DLR was "blasphemy".....maybe....i wasnt very old back then so i couldn't tell you. but its the same thing....their singer just died instead of quit. its different however in that they arent pulling it off as "Queen"....this is Queen with Paul Rodgers.
    Last edited by OnTheInside1985; 05.02.05 at 09:06 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheInside1985
    dude whatever......he's doing well and the fans are enjoying it. and they pay tribute to freddie (according to one persons account in a previous post above) sounds like a good show to me.

some would probably argue that replacing DLR was "blasphemy".....maybe....i wasnt very old back then so i couldn't tell you. but its the same thing....their singer just died instead of quit. its different however in that they arent pulling it off as "Queen"....this is Queen with Paul Rodgers.
    I hear ya, just disagree with ya.

You got the Tribute concert at Wembly, the tribute albums and didn't they recently release the music for a broadway play. (honestly I'm really not sure about that last one.) The line between tribute and whoring can be razor thin.

But that's just my opinion. Hope everyone who goes has a great time.

Last Online

08.02.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

they did release the broadway music on CD but I dont see your point...and what tribute CD? I missed that one. Im a big fan of the music that Queen did (even Radio Ga Ga) and they sound good with Rogers. Should they use the queen name + Paul Rogers? probably not since queen was more than brian and roger but that leads us into the whole name change debate that we all know all too well with a certain group. It will be interesting if they write any tunes with rogers and keep the name, that would be odd. apperently john gave them his blessings, he is retired. its certainly not Queen without Freddie, but those songs plus the few Paul Rogers songs is a god show, at least it sounds like it on the boots.

bytheway, loved the tribute, thought it was real well done to pay tribute to Freddie.
    Last edited by empyre44; 05.02.05 at 09:31 PM.