Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

05.17.12 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default All things must pass --and that is OK!

I have only posted a few times on the board, but view it daily (as Van Halen is my favorite Band / soap opera)!

Over the past few weeks, the smile that last summer's tour put on my face has begun to fade. At first I was a little saddened by the reports of Eddie's erratic behavior, or Sam's claims of being "over" Van Halen. However, all it takes is a Van-Halen heavy playlist on my iPod to make everything OK with the world again. --Whether they are a functioning band or not. Here's why:

Plain and simple, Van Halen was genius when fronted by Roth. I challenge anyone to listen the CVH catalog and deny that they are not, collectively, among the top rock recordings of all time --the guitar work, the lyrics, the swagger, the danger, it was all there.

But, just like with cars, airplanes, boats, and women, the the higher performance they are, the bigger pain in the neck they can be! --And we can all see that Roth could be a tremendous pain in the neck! Just listen to a bootleg of a circa 1984 Roth show, and you will see that the danger, attitude and showmanship that made them great, had started to become an annoying sideshow that threatened to derail one of the best bands in the world. Roth's quitting merely prevented an implosion --and protected the legacy of one of Rock's most amazing string of albums (look at how half-cocked some of Roth's later efforts were, and you can see where I cam going with the whole "legacy preservation" angle).

When Hagar came into the fold, it was like lightening had struck twice in the same place --one listen to "Best of Both Worlds" or "Summer Nights," proved this. While the music wasn't world changing, it was still magic, and Hagar's presence enabled the band to continue in a manner that in no way tarnished what they had already accomplished --and allowed for those moments of sheer brilliance that we all love VH for. I can honestly say that I like Hagar and Roth equally well (and for entirely different reasons). --Roth for the reasons listed above, and Hagar for his appreciation of the fans, personality, approachability, and great voice. While the band wasn't as brilliant with Hagar, it certainly made up for it in consistency and desire (I have never heard of a Hagar show where he did not leave it all on the stage).

However, eventually the well dries up, and for Van Halen the well has been dry for nearly a decade now. I have faced up to this, and it looks like many of you have too. The three new songs were average at best, and do not bode well for future efforts (Sammy's songwriting was never his strongest point --see Lyrics to "Up for Breakfast" for an example), but they really seem to have gone downhill since Marching to Mars. So, even if we were to get a new VH album, how good could it be? With Sammy, it would likely be OK (not bad, but not great). With Roth, it would likely be a train wreck (just look at the recent interviews with the guy, he is so consummed with turning EVERYTHING into a joke or a one-liner, that HE has become a one liner).

Perhaps it can be best summed up with this: if VH were to release a new album, would it be good enough to replace Fair Warning, 5150 or Van Halen on your playlist? --Yeah, mine neither. (At least based on everything that we have seen over the past 10 years). BUT THIS IS OK... We have more than enough killer tunes to make even a transoceanic flight tolerable, and enough concert memories to fill a coffee table sized book. So I for one am going to chill out, quit worrying about what the VH future holds, and enjoy what I already have: 9 or so albums of great music!
    Last edited by CaboTime; 04.29.05 at 10:59 AM.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.10 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Amen Brother!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great post, but it would have been a good fit in the other threads already going about the future of Van Halen.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett