Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Elton John

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Elton has given me much musical joy since I discovered him in the early seventies...I'm not saying he can do no wrong, as anyone who has ever heard his horrible disco record "Victim of Love' (featuring a dance version of "Johnny B. Good"..Christ, if you thought Judas Priest's version sucked, give this piece of dung a listen ) can attest.

If a tax break and marital status with a significant other make the guy happy, then good for him in my book.

By the way, his last 2 albums (Songs From The West Coast and Peachtree Road) have been the best work he's done in years.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig
    Elton has given me much musical joy since I discovered him in the early seventies...I'm not saying he can do no wrong, as anyone who has ever heard his horrible disco record "Victim of Love' (featuring a dance version of "Johnny B. Good"..Christ, if you thought Judas Priest's version sucked, give this piece of dung a listen ) can attest.

If a tax break and marital status with a significant other make the guy happy, then good for him in my book.

By the way, his last 2 albums (Songs From The West Coast and Peachtree Road) have been the best work he's done in years.

...craig
    I have 5 of his (classic) albums now. How are Tumbleweed Connection, Rock of the Westies, and Caribou? And is there anything in between the Classic Years stuff and Songs From the West Coast that are worth having?
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx
    I have 5 of his (classic) albums now. How are Tumbleweed Connection, Rock of the Westies, and Caribou? And is there anything in between the Classic Years stuff and Songs From the West Coast that are worth having?

"Tumbleweed"...is a must own, as it is the sound of a British group attempting to sound like "The Band", yet coming up with something new/old at the same time.

"Rock of the Westies" (West of the Rockies) is a weird album. Elton fired his rythm section, formed a new group and wound up with "Island Girl", and several other strange tracks...for the serious EJ fan only.

"Caribou" has 3 tracks: "Ticking" about a guy taking hostages in a bar, "Solar Prestige A Gammon" with nonsense lyrics and a terrific melody, and "Don't Let The Sun..." in it's original full lenght version.

This album was a warm-up for "Captn. Fantastic".

If you can find it, "11-17-70" is the Elton John 3 piece (with Nigel Ollsonn on drums and Dee Murray on bass) that is one of the best hard rock live albums of all time..."Burn Down The Mission" is played at a speed metal pace.

Outside of "Blue Moves" around '77-78' (a two record set), EJ hibernated until 4 years ago. There are no "must own" records between "Blue Moves" and the current album...sure there were hits, yet the albums were dogshit.

However...if you can find the 2 disc "Here And There" live album, it features John Lennon's last recorded performance, on "Lucy In The Sky...", "Whatever Get's You Through The Night" and the Beatles" "I Saw Her Standing There".

In case you were wondering, I've forgotten more about Elton John than most fuckers will ever know-it ain't bragging if it's the truth.

Best of luck!
    ...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Blue Moves is worth having?

So in terms of studio stuff, the only other "must-owns" are Tumbleweed and the 2 new ones?

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

However...if you can find the 2 disc "Here And There" live album, it features John Lennon's last recorded performance, on "Lucy In The Sky...", "Whatever Get's You Through The Night" and the Beatles" "I Saw Her Standing There".
    Last recorded live performance, of course!

Elton was cool in the '70s, that's for sure.

Last Online

Blue Moves is worth having?

So in terms of studio stuff, the only other "must-owns" are Tumbleweed and the 2 new ones?
    All of the EJ records up through "Blue Moves" are classic, must owns. After that...

Well...you could allow "21 at 33"...it came after "A Single Man" (yeccchhh), and features the Eagles on backing vocals on a track or two, and has "Nakita".

That's about it, as the eighties records were fueled by cocaine and bad ideas.

Get one of the greatest hits albums from this period..."I'm Still Standing"? Ugh.

The nineties found overblown film soundtracks ("Can You Feel The Love Tonight") that were hurl-worthy.
    ...craig
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Heh....sounds good.

First I got Yellow Brick Road....friggin' AMAZING record, one of my all-time favorites for sure. Then I got Honky Chateau...also great. Then Captain Fantastic, Madman, and Don't Shoot Me..at the same time. Don't Shoot Me is my least favorite of the 5.

Last Online

Heh....sounds good.

First I got Yellow Brick Road....friggin' AMAZING record, one of my all-time favorites for sure.

Don't Shoot Me is my least favorite of the 5.
    LEAST FAVORITE?
    "Teacher I Need You", "Elderberry Wine", "Teenage Idol", "Daniel", "Texan Love Song", "HAVE MERCY ON THE CRIMINAL' ???

The live in Australia album rocks, too...sorry I forgot that one! That is also a must own, as it features an orchestra and a great sampling of the career.

...craig
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah--the only songs that really really stand out (though I've only listened to it thrice) are Elderberry Wine, Screw You, and High Flying Bird.

What's your least favorite of those 5 albums? I know your favorite is also Yellow Brick Road, right?

Last Online

Yeah--the only songs that really really stand out (though I've only listened to it thrice) are Elderberry Wine, Screw You, and High Flying Bird.

What's your least favorite of those 5 albums? I know your favorite is also Yellow Brick Road, right?
    Well, in all honesty, my favorite album of all time is "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road".

This might sound odd, yet I never liked "Madman Across The Water"...outside of "Holiday Inn", "Levon" and "Tiny Dancer", I think this record is a stiff.
    "Razor Face"? doink.

Give "Don't Shoot Me" a few more listens...trust me, you will see the beginnings of "Yellow Brick..."

...craig
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I've always liked "Your Song."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, in all honesty, my favorite album of all time is "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road".

This might sound odd, yet I never liked "Madman Across The Water"...outside of "Holiday Inn", "Levon" and "Tiny Dancer", I think this record is a stiff.
    "Razor Face"? doink.

Give "Don't Shoot Me" a few more listens...trust me, you will see the beginnings of "Yellow Brick..."

...craig
    Hmm...I like Madman a lot...not as much as Honky and YBR, maybe, but I think it's great--I like Razor Face (amazing grace!) and Madman, as well as Indian Sunset. MATW is actually my girlfriend's favorite Elton record--and she's heard pretty much all the classic years stuff. Might have something to do with the fact that it's the album that she first heard, and first got her loving Elton.

I will definitely listen to Don't Shoot Me more. I haven't given up on it, heh, I still like it.

GBYBR is phenomal--17 songs and every one of them is fantastic! I don't even think Physical Graffitti is that rock-solid from start to finish.

Craig, after all this, we should just start an Elton thread, lol.

I'm going to see him at the Pond in less than two weeks, I'm so stoked!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark
    I've always liked "Your Song."

That's a good one. I listened to that album ("Elton John") a few weeks ago, and it was the only song that really stood out as great to me.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Know what I love about this thread? There's actual discussion on the music of the man, despite what the topic was supposed to be. No bashing, no hate-speech.....just great discussion about the tunes this guy put out.

The first (and still favorite) record I remember hearing is "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". My aunt was a teenage Elton junkie who brought home the LP one day and played it to me when she babysat me around the age of three, I guess. It was at this time I learned to operate the turntable and I'm pretty sure I learned to read the lyrics sheet with her help. I must have learned every song on the thing and to this day I think of those times whenever I hear any song from GBYBR.

Elton rules.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I saw him in vegas last year and in dallas last month. great shows.

I about shit here in Dallas when he did funeral for a friend/love lies bleeding, becuase he teased us with the intro in vegas but did not play it. Has to be my fav.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph