Favorite VH Album

VH1,Balance,FW,and VH3
    Favorite VH Song

Panama,without you and IAT
    Last Online

05.17.11 @ 11:41 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Soloing

what should a solo consist of?just a bunch of randoms riffs or sumtin????help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rock on MotherFucker!!!!!!
    Official VH Links Van Halen 3 fan

Bands I Have Seen Live:
    Van Halen The Smashup
    Twisted Sister Sanctity
    Loverboy Into Eternity
    WASP 2X Overkill
    LA Guns Arch Eenemy
    Stephen Percy Opeth
    Collective Soul Lamb Of God
    Motley Crue 3x Megadeth
    Queensryche 2x Aerosmith
    Amon Amarth Angels & Airwaves
    Trivium
    Children Of Bodom
    Still Remains
    Suffocation
    It Dies Today
    Poison The Well
    Shadows Fall

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Let's start by playing something in key.

Next, play something that sounds like it belongs in the song.

Lastly, use your best judgment. Don't play tasteless like CC DeVille or something...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

09.16.13 @ 02:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow. There's no real answer to that. This is the best advice you are going to get.

Copy as many solos as you possibly can. Learn them note for note. Learn solos from the kind of music you want to play and also branch out. The more you learn the more you'll understand. Eventually if you learn enough licks and the basics that make up the canon, you'll be able to string them together and make your own thing. Eventually if you have a really good body of knowledge and a lot of memorized solos under your belt, you'll be able to improvise freely and create something that is hopefully unique. At the very least you'll be able to make it sound good.

Improvising is creating spontaneously. It's kind of counterintuitive. The only good way to really create and eventually be original is to copy as much as you possibly can.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I like what Jimmie Vaughan says about his solos...He tries to make his lines sound like conversation between people...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If yer thinkin yer stinkin. just let it flow, but make sure it has a beginning a middle and an end. Pretty much all the stuff your english teacher told you about writing a good essay or story, but applied to music.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

That's a hard question to answer while trying not to steer you an certain way.

In my opinion, try to focus on melodies. Playing really fast (shredding) can be impressive, but unless it is really leading somewhere and/or it's tastefully used, it's mostly forgettable in the context of a song. Think about the main lick from "Layla." Now think about the solo from Yngwie Malmsteen's "Dreaming." Which one is more recognized?

Also, ask yourself: do you want to play the 1st position pentatonic scale over and over like SO many others have done? Learn as many notes and patterns and scales as you can. Know how to play the same thing in 2-3 places on the neck.

It all depends on how original you want to be and the type of person you are.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Everybody's going to have their own aproach.

Some guys can spend hours working on a single solo, others just let loose and see what happens. For me, it should at least fit the song. If I'm playing a Beatles/Byrds type song then the solo to "You Really Got Me" is just going to fuck up the song. On the other hand, if it's a song like "The Full Bug", a bad-assed blues shuffle in standard I-IV-V-I then I'm just going to fucking melt my strings, because that's what those kind of songs are designed for IMO.

They key is to know your scales/modes, triads and arpegios in advance so that when you have to come up with a solo that you don't have to think about that stuff and just add color to the song. Solos are litterally icing on the cake. If you think of it that way, as decoration on a cake, then you understand that some cakes have minimal decoration and others are monster works of art. Both will melt in your mouth. Few people are going to marvel of a simple icing job but everyone will notice if you fuck it up.

Either way, with each new solo, try to push yourself.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    Everybody's going to have their own aproach.

Some guys can spend hours working on a single solo, others just let loose and see what happens. For me, it should at least fit the song. If I'm playing a Beatles/Byrds type song then the solo to "You Really Got Me" is just going to fuck up the song. On the other hand, if it's a song like "The Full Bug", a bad-assed blues shuffle in standard I-IV-V-I then I'm just going to fucking melt my strings, because that's what those kind of songs are designed for IMO.

They key is to know your scales/modes, triads and arpegios in advance so that when you have to come up with a solo that you don't have to think about that stuff and just add color to the song. Solos are litterally icing on the cake. If you think of it that way, as decoration on a cake, then you understand that some cakes have minimal decoration and others are monster works of art. Both will melt in your mouth. Few people are going to marvel of a simple icing job but everyone will notice if you fuck it up.

Either way, with each new solo, try to push yourself.
    Yup!

Just make sure sure to solo on only red guitars, they're the fastest ones
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.04.05 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Learn Theory. Try going to www.GuitarKnowledgeNet.net there are a lot of thisngs that will help you there.
    Guitar KnowledgeNet the only guitar instruction site you'll ever need!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Go buy some books or videos. Or better yet, take lessons, if you're really serious about the guitar.

Just screwing around is not a very efficient method for learning to solo. Scales are a great place to start, then start mixing the notes up in those scales, do some bends etc. Before ya know it, you sound like you know what you're doing.

Good luck

Favorite VH Album

VH1,Balance,FW,and VH3
    Favorite VH Song

Panama,without you and IAT
    Last Online

05.17.11 @ 11:41 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

thanks for all the advice...i do take lessons but he only shows me like riffs here and there....i mean want to finally learn how to do a solo ...i might change teachers.once again thanks for all the advice keep'em coming.
    Rock on MotherFucker!!!!!!
    Official VH Links Van Halen 3 fan

Bands I Have Seen Live:
    Van Halen The Smashup
    Twisted Sister Sanctity
    Loverboy Into Eternity
    WASP 2X Overkill
    LA Guns Arch Eenemy
    Stephen Percy Opeth
    Collective Soul Lamb Of God
    Motley Crue 3x Megadeth
    Queensryche 2x Aerosmith
    Amon Amarth Angels & Airwaves
    Trivium
    Children Of Bodom
    Still Remains
    Suffocation
    It Dies Today
    Poison The Well
    Shadows Fall

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

to many to name
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

IMO the best place to start is Jimmy Page stuff, if your into that. Since I have long fingers I like to do alot of finger stretching stuff like the Ice Cream Man solo. The best way to impress people on guitar is to try to find somthing you like that hasn't been done to death and play it. Fuck, when I play Van Halen people have no idea what it is and they're blown away by it. Just don't get trapped in anything...

Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.06.08 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RockGod5150
    thanks for all the advice...i do take lessons but he only shows me like riffs here and there....i mean want to finally learn how to do a solo ...i might change teachers.once again thanks for all the advice keep'em coming.
    If he's just showing ya riff's here and there sounds like you should get a new teacher. Soloing is something you learn how to do like speaking and writing. Granted, you need to be in key and know what notes you can play, but you have to tell a story. Start out with a statement, turn that into a sentence, then a paragraph and so on. The conversion happens with your band as they interact with your story.

There's lots of great posts on this thread already stating this, but there really is no other way. Doesn't have to be complex, just say something.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Van Murphenstein
    If he's just showing ya riff's here and there sounds like you should get a new teacher. Soloing is something you learn how to do like speaking and writing. Granted, you need to be in key and know what notes you can play, but you have to tell a story. Start out with a statement, turn that into a sentence, then a paragraph and so on. The conversion happens with your band as they interact with your story.

There's lots of great posts on this thread already stating this, but there really is no other way. Doesn't have to be complex, just say something.

Yeah, it should be more than riffs, unless they're free lessons. There's a hodge-podge of stuff that you should be learning in the beginning: Major & Minor scales and WHY they're that way. Rythmn (sp), counting and time signatures and a couple of songs a week. The songs can be one of his and one that you want to play. I loved "Aint Talkin Bout Love" because it's two chords, plus it's a great song to learn about arpegiation and riff-building by using simple chords and stripping them down.

The only way you will learn guitar is by playing songs and then learning the theory behind them. The more songs that you learn, the better you'll get.

I had both lessons and figured stuff out for myself. I spent hours in front of my stereo, picking up the needless and dropping it back down on a track. I destroyed 2 VH1s and a WACF this way. I bought song books of my favorite albums (KISS, Cheap Trick, Van Halen), before tab, and learned the chords and figured out the riffs.

Best piece of advice is :

Chuck Berry is your friend. So is the Blue's Scale. Learn them, know them, love them. They will get you places faster and will save your bacon almost every time. Everyone comes back to that Blues scale once in a while.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Less notes = better. See David Gilmore for more information. Really great solos are the ones you can "hum note for note." They should be their own little song withing a song, a side story.

Sometimes they just need to flat out wail with every effect pedal on into a howling feedbacky mess.

I sure wish I could solo better. The world is sorely lacking good solos. There are plenty of wankers who can hit a billion notes, but so few who can let their soul out. See Neil Young with Crazy Horse for full explanation.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.