Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

11.21.07 @ 12:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Early Van Halen sound with 5150 combo and Marshall 4x12

I was curious to see how the 5150 combo would hold up playing along with a few early Van Halen songs. I took out Ed's guitar and played along with the right channel of the song which on the CD only has his effect return with no guitar. I didn't try to copy the exact sound of the album or anything like that. I have to say this freakin thing sounds awesome in my opinion! I never tried doing this with the 5150 combo before, just a Plexi reissue and an old 70 Super Lead. I always thought the combo would sound crappy with those older songs. I have it set up with the sound coming out of my 4x12 Marshall cab. I kept the gain real low to try and get a more plexi-like vibe to the tone. Let me know what you think. It's two very short clips. I used the exact amp settings on both songs.

Everybody wants some w/5150 combo

Van Halen 1st album w/5150 combo

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Sounds pretty good to me!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

10.04.07 @ 10:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VHoholic
    I was curious to see how the 5150 combo would hold up playing along with a few early Van Halen songs. I took out Ed's guitar and played along with the right channel of the song which on the CD only has his effect return with no guitar. I didn't try to copy the exact sound of the album or anything like that. I have to say this freakin thing sounds awesome in my opinion! I never tried doing this with the 5150 combo before, just a Plexi reissue and an old 70 Super Lead. I always thought the combo would sound crappy with those older songs. I have it set up with the sound coming out of my 4x12 Marshall cab. I kept the gain real low to try and get a more plexi-like vibe to the tone. Let me know what you think. It's two very short clips. I used the exact amp settings on both songs.

Everybody wants some w/5150 combo

Van Halen 1st album w/5150 combo
    What are the 5150 settings? Could you please share them with us. Sounds really good.

Also what were your mic techniques, distance, angle, mic type etc. I have yet to achieve that sound with a SM-57, single mic setup. It either sounds too brittle or too dark sounding when I mic. Did you re-eq once recorded?

Thanks!
    --Peavey EVH Wolfgang Standard-Black; 5150 Half Stack
    "In the 7th grade, James Sanford got me in to Santana and Van Halen. Who knows what the hell I would have been listening to otherwise. Thanks man, wherever you are!"-JD5150

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emm5150
    Sounds pretty good to me!!!!
    Thanks emm5150.

Quote Originally Posted by jd5150
    What are the 5150 settings? Could you please share them with us. Sounds really good.

Also what were your mic techniques, distance, angle, mic type etc. I have yet to achieve that sound with a SM-57, single mic setup. It either sounds too brittle or too dark sounding when I mic. Did you re-eq once recorded?

Thanks!
    Thanks jd5150. Here's my exact settings: Lead Pre - 4, Bass - 6, Mid - 7/8, High - 4, Res - 6/7, and Presence - 7/8 depending on what guitar/pickup your using. I used a Kramer Striker and have a Seymour Duncan 59 PAF in the bridge. My cab is a Vintage Reissue. It's a 1960 Classic straight with 25 watt Greenback reissues. I used one sm57 mic and had it placed right against the grill cloth of the Marshall 4x12. I positioned it about an inch lower than center of the lower right speaker and had the mic going stright in, no off axis angle or anything like that. The positioning is really crucial because i find that if i even move the mic a half inch or less one way or the other it totally changes the sound. After i layed the track down i didn't do any re-EQing. I always try to get the best possible mic position so i don't have to bother with altering the sound afterwards. Makes things much easier in my opinion.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

10.04.07 @ 10:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VHoholic
    Thanks emm5150.

Thanks jd5150. Here's my exact settings: Lead Pre - 4, Bass - 6, Mid - 7/8, High - 4, Res - 6/7, and Presence - 7/8 depending on what guitar/pickup your using. I used a Kramer Striker and have a Seymour Duncan 59 PAF in the bridge. My cab is a Vintage Reissue. It's a 1960 Classic straight with 25 watt Greenback reissues. I used one sm57 mic and had it placed right against the grill cloth of the Marshall 4x12. I positioned it about an inch lower than center of the lower right speaker and had the mic going stright in, no off axis angle or anything like that. The positioning is really crucial because i find that if i even move the mic a half inch or less one way or the other it totally changes the sound. After i layed the track down i didn't do any re-EQing. I always try to get the best possible mic position so i don't have to bother with altering the sound afterwards. Makes things much easier in my opinion.
    Hey VHoholic thanks! Yeah the Mic positioning is key. I found the sweet spot one time... Then I never found it again, I was pissed!

I am still partial to that vintage Marshall tone, some of your stuff really nailed it! But I love the 5150 amp too.

By the way that song Original 3 rocks! Warren Dimartini meets VH!
    I love that era of stuff.
    -JD5150
    --Peavey EVH Wolfgang Standard-Black; 5150 Half Stack
    "In the 7th grade, James Sanford got me in to Santana and Van Halen. Who knows what the hell I would have been listening to otherwise. Thanks man, wherever you are!"-JD5150

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jd5150
    Hey VHoholic thanks! Yeah the Mic positioning is key. I found the sweet spot one time... Then I never found it again, I was pissed!

I am still partial to that vintage Marshall tone, some of your stuff really nailed it! But I love the 5150 amp too.

By the way that song Original 3 rocks! Warren Dimartini meets VH!
    I love that era of stuff.
    -JD5150
    Thanks man! Glad you liked it.