Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 05:05 AM
    Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts

Default Daves Voice

I was listening to Women and Children first and Van Halen II today and got to thinking. Did Dave lose the high note because of his smoking? I have heard other singers I.e. Vince Neil, Brett Michaels, Jon Bon Jovi, etc on TV lately and they seem to have the same voice as before..So my question is why did Daves voice go downhill while others did not, I sure wish he could still hit those high screams... Just wondering..Mike

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Umm...I didnt know dave could hit notes. But im pretty sure it went downhill when he turned 50. Have you seen the guy latley?

"Theres nothing worse than an aging hipster!" - Dr. Evil, Austin Powers
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

05.01.16 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901
    Umm...I didnt know dave could hit notes. But im pretty sure it went downhill when he turned 50. Have you seen the guy latley?
    Well, I don't think Dave's looks have anything to do with him hitting his trademark high note..., if you ask me the others that where listed in the first post just happen to be lucky, nothing more...nothing less.
    I will say one thing though, I have been listening to alot of classic VH and Dave concert audio this week...his voice isn't too different now then what it was back in the day....to me anyway
    "The only honest job I've ever had was a paper route and that was to buy a musical instrument." - Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Human's Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:29 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

It could be a number of things, 1. Smoking 2. Drinking 3. Not warming up 4. he's getting old

Riddick.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901

"Theres nothing worse than an aging hipster!" - Dr. Evil, Austin Powers
    Perhaps had you been alive when Dave was in VH, you would have heard him hit some of those notes.

For whatever its worth Dave's voice sounds better today than it did 5 years ago. Maybe he is taking care of his voice a little better.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree with Menlow.....his voice took a serious beating on the Roth/hagar tour, but ever since then, he has steadily improved, and his voice seems to be in GREAT shape these days....better than the last 10 years or so, I'd say....
    Also, he's refined his vocal approach a bit, and using it more wisely....adjusting some of the phrasing ever so slightly, and it wears well on him, in my opinion.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

06.01.07 @ 07:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LOC
    I agree with Menlow.....his voice took a serious beating on the Roth/hagar tour, but ever since then, he has steadily improved, and his voice seems to be in GREAT shape these days....better than the last 10 years or so, I'd say....
    Also, he's refined his vocal approach a bit, and using it more wisely....adjusting some of the phrasing ever so slightly, and it wears well on him, in my opinion.
    Good point, i think Dave is beginning to learn that is his voice is his instrument and he is beginning to take care of it. If there is a lack of him hitting notes he hit on the first few albums, well 25-30 years of singing can kill a voice.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Personally, I could care less if he hits the "high notes" anymore. Dave has a very unique, stellar and cool voice period. Shit, he can just talk the songs live (much like Jagger does) and he'd still sound fuckin' cool.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Can't pick just one
    Favorite VH Song

Again...Can't pick just one
    Last Online

03.16.17 @ 01:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You know what I think would be very cool, if Dave would release a CD from one of his last few tours. He has all the rights as co-author to publish re-recordings (aka live recordings) of all the VH material he plays in his shows. He would have to pay royalties to the other guys, but he is most probably doing so already for the live shows anyway. But I just think it would be a cool thing to listen to. And probably would sell well. Probably better than any of his last few albums.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa Vertical
    You know what I think would be very cool, if Dave would release a CD from one of his last few tours. He has all the rights as co-author to publish re-recordings (aka live recordings) of all the VH material he plays in his shows. He would have to pay royalties to the other guys, but he is most probably doing so already for the live shows anyway. But I just think it would be a cool thing to listen to. And probably would sell well. Probably better than any of his last few albums.

That would be great but I highly doubt it would sell in today's market.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 05:05 AM
    Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts

I guess also I was wondering when I started this topic was if Dave did supernaturally return for a VH tour. Do you think his voice could hold up for an 80 city tour as Sammy's did? You know how his voice was going down hill during the Sam/Dave tour. Also I thanks you all for not turning this into a Dave bashing thread, there has actually been some very intelligent insights.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 5150, OU812, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/When It's Love
    Last Online

09.05.13 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette Dave
    Well, I don't think Dave's looks have anything to do with him hitting his trademark high note..., if you ask me the others that where listed in the first post just happen to be lucky, nothing more...nothing less.
    I will say one thing though, I have been listening to alot of classic VH and Dave concert audio this week...his voice isn't too different now then what it was back in the day....to me anyway
    You mean it has always sucked? I don't think so. I saw Dave w/VH in 80 and Dave solo in 87 and he sounded fine. I saw him twice with Hagar a couple of years ago and he sounded terrible.
    Last edited by clrw5150; 04.24.05 at 11:29 AM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa Vertical
    MUSIC BIZ ALERT!!

Music is recorded. Those recordings are copyrights (You have to pay to use the original recording).

Songs are written. Those written songs are published (BMI and ASCAP, through the collection of fees from television, radio and your local karaoke bar, pay the publishing company every time the song appears publicly).

If I recorded a killer kazoo version of "You Really Got Me", Ray Davies would get paid everytime any version of that song (kazoo, Van Halen, Toby Keith, et al) was performed publicly. I would only get paid when my CD sold off the shelf. I would need Ray Davies' permission to print the lyrics in my CD liner notes.

Dave only has to pay for the musicians and studio time. If he has a record deal, the record company fronted him that money and it becomes a recoupable expense. Dave won't get anything until the recoupable expenses have been paid in full. THE KICKER: Even though Dave has repaid the record company for the recording expenses, the record company still owns the master tapes to that recording. For anyone to use material from those master tapes, they must negotiate a mechanical license to use that particular copyrighted recording.
    If any of you saw the movie "Ray", you may recall his negotiations with his new label after leaving Atlantic. He wanted to own the masters. Anyone wanting to use that recorded material had to pay HIM, not the record company for mechanical licenses (the right to use copyrighted material).

As for Dave releasing a live recording of Van Halen songs: WHY? I believe many of us prefer a new studio album from Van Halen. With Dave. And Mike. And of course the genius and his enabler...