Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

01.31.15 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default confused about what effects for my 5150

I have done a search on the subject and have gleaned some info, but wanted to ask some specific questions.

5150 II - Half Stack - various guitars

Looking for "VH ish" tones - reverbs, delay, chorus, flange, phase shifter, noise gate.

Should I take a rack approach and build accordingly and include other things like the THD Hotplate, BBE Sonic Maximizer. If so what rack gear & brand do you guys like.

- OR -

Buy something like a Boss GT-6 - do it all floor processor???

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 5150 sig head and (2) 4x12 Marshall cabinets.
    I run an old Digitech GSP21 multi-effects rack for pre-gain and EQ at all times.
    In addition, I use a TC Electronics G-Major for effects such as delay, flanger, chorus, etc ... The G-Major has a cool effect called "detune". It sorta reminds me of a mix between a chorus and a harmonizer.
    On the floor, I use a Morley Bad Horsie and an EVH Phase 90.

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

One man's opinion, floor processors sound bad, and, you won't be able to tweak them like individual pedals. Not a big fan of a rack system, unless you have a group of roadies to haul your crap around with.

You might find a floor processor that has a great delay, but the flange is sort of OK and the overdrive terrible etc. Too many compromises on tone.

Rack gear is tough to find, service or even sell. Pedals are cheap, hold their value pretty well, and can be interchanged with the whims of a fickle guitar player.

Here's a Fulldrive...
    www.playlikerandy.com/changed.mp3
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not a big fan of a rack system, unless you have a group of roadies to haul your crap around with.
    I have 4 rack units consisting of a GSP21, G-Major, Power Conditioner, and a Wireless Unit, all in one 4U rack case. I personally find it alot lighter and less clumsy than a bag of pedals.

I WOULD appreciate a group of roadies to help out with my cabinets though.

Don't get me wrong, pedals are a cool way to go (I mentioned 2 that I use regulary), but I would suggest staying away from those "multi-effects" floor processors that claim to do everything. They usually end up being "one trick ponys" at best.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you want Van Halenish sounds, then you need to decide which era you want to model your tone after.

Early VH...MXR Phase 90, MXR M117 Flanger, and I'd even recommend a 6 band pedal eq to put in front of it all (set it for a frown). Also I like sticking a delay in there as well. The thing most people mess up with is trying to use a lot of preamp distortion to achieve that sound. Ed's tone is from the power amp tubes of his Marshall Plexi being driven hard, so go ahead and invest in that Hotplate. Although don't expect the 5150 II to be able to totally nail his Marshall tone.

For latter VH tones I'd say just add a chorus and you'd pretty much be able to get it. You've already got the amp. Ed used an Eventide Harmonizer from 5150 on, as far as I know. He also used Lexicon PCM 70 processors too. He still uses the Phase 90 and MXR Flanger..so there's a common link to his old setup. Personally, I don't care much for his tone after 1984. His tone on 5150 was awful..too clangy. It did get better, but it wasn't the "brown sound" anymore.

I've been playing long enough to have started with pedals, go to rackmount, and I'll be damned if I'm not back to using pedals again. Easy to hookup and you don't get lost in patch hell.

You won't find a multi-effects floor processor than can do the MXR flanger sound justice or the Phase 90 in all honesty. But you'll have to trust your own ears, after all it's your money.
    Last edited by BrownSound1; 04.22.05 at 11:17 PM.
    Eat Us and Smile...yeah we're still around.

Roth Army Webmaster
    http://www.rotharmy.com