Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

06.24.15 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Eddie should pay homage to blues players like Clapton does

IMHO, If it wasn't for these great players such lightning Hopkins, Blind Lemmon Jefferson, Robert Johnson, B.B. King, or Chuck Berry there would be no Eddie..At least Clapton does pay homage to these guys..Alot of their licks are like Eddies with exception of the delay, distortion, etc...I mean Eddie sounds like one of these Blues player on steroids..

O.K. let the flaming begin
    "Well, he's an intelligent, well-read guy. But it's like he can't connect the dots somehow." (EVH Guitar World, March 1998).

GP: "Did you use a pick for "Spanish Fly"?

EVH: "Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something."

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Well I can't agree with you. Eddie is not a blues player. He does some blues type jams and was very influenced by Cream, but that's about it. His licks are based on blues scales and stuff, but not all of them. I think Eddie should keep pushing himself on guitar like he used to in the past-thinking of new, strange things to do with it like he used to. 316 was the last solo piece he put on record, and it's cool but not groundbreaking in any way. Eddie seems to rely on the same licks and techniques now, instead of pushing himself. That's how I see it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

06.24.15 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04
    Well I can't agree with you. Eddie is not a blues player. He does some blues type jams and was very influenced by Cream, but that's about it. His licks are based on blues scales and stuff, but not all of them. .
    Well if he's not a blues player..I don't know what he is then..He plays a "Hard rock blues style"..i.e. Full Bug, So this is Love, Take your Whiskey home..and the list goes on..All of his scales sound bluesy to me..

all the distortion(In good taste), delay, flanger, etc gives the blues a new flavor..Its not metal for sure
    "Well, he's an intelligent, well-read guy. But it's like he can't connect the dots somehow." (EVH Guitar World, March 1998).

GP: "Did you use a pick for "Spanish Fly"?

EVH: "Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something."

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I can't agree with you. Eddie is not a blues player. He does some blues type jams and was very influenced by Cream, but that's about it. His licks are based on blues scales and stuff, but not all of them. I think Eddie should keep pushing himself on guitar like he used to in the past-thinking of new, strange things to do with it like he used to. 316 was the last solo piece he put on record, and it's cool but not groundbreaking in any way. Eddie seems to rely on the same licks and techniques now, instead of pushing himself. That's how I see it.
    I totally agree.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

I may get flamed here as well from Clapton supporters.

While Eddie uses the pentatonic and certain blues phrases, he also uses Mixolydian, Dorian and some patterns into his soloing. Also uses classical elements with something like Eruption.

Clapton is like a 4th generation blues guitarist. Therefore he pays his homage to the greats.

He never created a style of playing....just enhanced it to a degree.

Then Hendrix came along and blew everything up. While he used blues phrases he also shook things up so much he transcended guitar playing.

Then in 1978 Eddie came along and blew everything that came after Hendrix.

Those two created a style of playing. They are the starting points for guitarists after 1968.

When Stevie Ray played behind his back who did people think of? Hendrix.

When people see a guitarist tapping what do they think of? Eddie.

I love Eric Clapton and really respect his work but he does need to pay homage to the greats more so than Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls
    Those two created a style of playing. They are the starting points for guitarists after 1968.

I love Eric Clapton and really respect his work but he does need to pay homage to the greats more so than Eddie.
    I'm not going to flame you, but I'd say these are both pretty narrow ideas about guitar playing in the last 40 years.

Take your rock bands of the last 5 years...the sound a whole lot more like the Stones and Aerosmith than VH.

Secondly, Ed did NOT invent tapping...He popularized it...After that, what's he done that so musically groundbreaking?
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

02.25.07 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default "Narrow ideas?"

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    I'm not going to flame you, but I'd say these are both pretty narrow ideas about guitar playing in the last 40 years.

Take your rock bands of the last 5 years...the sound a whole lot more like the Stones and Aerosmith than VH.

Secondly, Ed did NOT invent tapping...He popularized it...After that, what's he done that so musically groundbreaking?
    He didn't say he invented tapping. But history has and will think of Eddie when someone taps. His use of tapping was groundbreaking because of his ability to use it in a catchy, hook-filled rock band and get the attention of non-players. Sure John Maclaughlin did it. But he did not do it in a way that captured millions of people's attention. Eddie did. I personally consider that groundbreaking. His whammy bar techniques were undeniably groundbreaking as well. The very fact that more rock bands lately don't sound like VH is proof of how unique VH is. Musically speaking, it's easy to copy the Stones and Aerosmith.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Eric Clapton should pay homage to Edward Van Halen.

I don't recall him ever publicly giving Ed the respect he deserves. By Edward professing that his major influence was Clapton, he steered more than a few fans over to Clapton's music as well.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

I started playing guitar in 1983/4. I remember every kid in every guitar store used to play Eruption or at least try to. Hell you could eventually not even freaking play it without getting yelled at.

I don't recall ever being told to not to play Walk this Way or Brown Sugar ever in my life.

I know that tapping has lost its popularity over the years but for about a 12 year stretch (80-92), everybody tapped. I used to have every GFTPM and Guitar World (back when it was worth a damn) from those years and in that period of time, there was no question who was the man.

How many guitarists out there had a run like that while putting out new music?

I know that Hendrix, SRV and to a lesser degree, Rhoads are imortalized however dead people get a boost because of the age old question "what could have been?"

As far as new music sounding like Aerosmith and the Stones. Well for one, MTV decides what is going to be popular. Secondly if they are not, then VH1 is.

Favorite VH Album

VH1,Balance,FW,and VH3
    Favorite VH Song

Panama,without you and IAT
    Last Online

05.17.11 @ 11:41 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mk5
    Eric Clapton should pay homage to Edward Van Halen.

I don't recall him ever publicly giving Ed the respect he deserves. By Edward professing that his major influence was Clapton, he steered more than a few fans over to Clapton's music as well.
    agreed clapton should show some respect.
    Rock on MotherFucker!!!!!!
    Official VH Links Van Halen 3 fan

Bands I Have Seen Live:
    Van Halen The Smashup
    Twisted Sister Sanctity
    Loverboy Into Eternity
    WASP 2X Overkill
    LA Guns Arch Eenemy
    Stephen Percy Opeth
    Collective Soul Lamb Of God
    Motley Crue 3x Megadeth
    Queensryche 2x Aerosmith
    Amon Amarth Angels & Airwaves
    Trivium
    Children Of Bodom
    Still Remains
    Suffocation
    It Dies Today
    Poison The Well
    Shadows Fall

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't recall ever being told to not to play Walk this Way or Brown Sugar ever in my life.
    However, many have been banned from their local music stores for playing Stairway to Heaven and Smoke on the Water.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan

Remind me where we are again?

How about innovating on his innovations. The Mean Street Intro. The pianistic 1984 Tour playing. Trans Trem Use and Abuse. Six fingered runs. His awesome and memorable lead lines. Hummingbird picking. Not to mention the man's undeniable tone and killer rhythm work. Factor in Eddie's persona, his innovations in how the instrument it is built in itself, and the appearance of his instrument.

I left out some obvious stuff for sure, and probably forgot to mention some things. Secondly, what have the "rock bands" of the last 5 years done for the instrument or the genre? Great music? I could give two shits. Someone could piss and moan all day about how Harvey Mandel, Steve Hackett, or the older Country guy invented tapping. Flat out, I don't think I'd be far off in estimating that Edward inspired well beyond the majority of players that use the technique. Undeniably, he's the most influential and memorable player of the last 30 years. This is not to say that there aren't other greats among him, or Eddie must be your favorite player or you must die. Just don't deny the man's musical contributions, or try to minimalize them.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaboKid
    IMHO, If it wasn't for these great players such lightning Hopkins, Blind Lemmon Jefferson, Robert Johnson, B.B. King, or Chuck Berry there would be no Eddie..At least Clapton does pay homage to these guys..Alot of their licks are like Eddies with exception of the delay, distortion, etc...I mean Eddie sounds like one of these Blues player on steroids..

O.K. let the flaming begin
    Like was said before, Eddie was influenced a great deal by Clapton, and other dudes like Alvin Lee. He has made it clear that he did not "study" the blues. He was influenced by Blues Rock and Rock in general. As far as Clapton paying homage, there's a difference in having respect for someone/something than in "paying homage." Does this mean that every Blues Rock guitarist that was around in the 60s has to pay homage officially to the aforementioned players as well? I'm sure Ed has respect for the aforementioned players, as do many guitarists, but that doesn't mean Eddie has to release "Ed and Mr. Johnson" and so on.

Stylistically, Eddie is his own animal. I do agree and disagree about Ed not pushing himself. I think his rhythm work has continued to evolve leaps and bounds, a feat in itself. On the Best Of he did do some more awe inspiring work with the Trans Trem. In that light, I wish he would have pushed himself alot more on the "It's About Time" solo. He was definitely not pushing himself there. Nonetheless, noone can hold Eddie accountable for not continuing to come up with new techniques and so forth. He's done so much already to warrant a massive thank you. Still, I enjoyed his playing on Balance a great deal, and a solo like Feelin, you can't help but be awed. VH 3 may have had some interesting guitar work, but I still hold Balance and Humans Being as some of his most lyrical and tasteful playing, and would love to see a glimpse of it again.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Eddie should play homage to his fans....us!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Eddie is the biggest fan/copier of Clapton's material....PERIOD.

I believe he would've GLADLY provided tribute to his hero, had he been given the chance.

That he wasn't invited to Clapton's self-initiated tribute is a d*mn joke. John Mayer (a fine bluesman) is invited, many old-azz guys are invited, but Eddie isn't?

Eddie isn't a pure bluesman....true, but he doesn't need to pay homage to anyone. His style is completely & clearly his own, much like Hendrix before him. He's as oldschool in his influences as it gets, and has admitted as such, including his never released footage w/ Barbara Walters, where he plays "Crossroads" note-for-note.

As far as "groundbreaking" effects Eddie has had on music...c'mon Sacto....did anybody worth listening to play an overwound wax potted PAF through a d*mn Strat before 1978? No.

Did anybody intelligently abuse the whammy bar before Edward? No. Not even that out-of-tune idiot Hendrix. Henrix played brilliantly, but Eddie did as well, yet he SOUNDED smooth & brilliant as well. Henrix sounds like a retard. His genius was in his throught process, not in his tone....which was horrible.

Did anybody else effortlessly slide from bluesy to 'shred'??? No. Period.

Jeezus, Eddie actually invented shred, without playing it throughout a whole tune. Trust me, neither Hetfield nor Faggot....erm....Hammet could play "I'm the One". This was back in 1978, when Hetfield & Lars were sucking on Slurpees and busy copying (more like "stealing") King Diamond.

Did anybody bother to tremolo pick before Edward? No. Did anybody palm mute with any relevance prior to Edward? No. Never.

Eddie had more of an effect in 6 years (1978-1984) than Zakk Wylde, for instance, has had in 17 years. And Zakk is my favorite of the "current" players.

Did anybody use poweramp distortion in a "slave" configuration like Eddie? No. Never. Hendrix's sh*t was turned up to the max, but he had the SAME utilities Edward had at his disposal, yet didn't sound HALF as good as Eddie. Hendrix sounds HORRIBLE, yet he's half as stoned as Eddie.

Did Hendrix invent the D-Tuner? No. Eddie did. Period. He invented it. People who want NOTHING TO DO with Van Halen buy that damn thing.

Eddie's greatest contribution, like it or not, is songwriting. His 20th best song, let's say it's "Beautiful Girls", is better than Cream's 5th best song, or Hendrix's 4th.
    Last edited by Majestic; 04.23.05 at 06:51 PM.