Register

Thread: Jeep Wranglers

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Jeep Wranglers

Hey,

I'm seriously considering buying one. Anybody out there own(ed) one?

I've heard they are terrible riding on the freeway, gas mileage isn't great and all that. But do they hold up mechanically?

Could you recommend the convertable hard top of soft top? I'm in Wisconsin so I have the changing climates. Are they good in the snow? Stuff like that.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Last edited by hellohawk; 04.21.05 at 02:34 PM.
    VHLinks Fantasy Baseball Champions: 2004, 2009, 2011

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I do not own one but, as a mechanic of 15 years who repairs cars all day, I've never done a major repair on one yet, none of the Jeeps, Wranglers, Cherokees, etc. Hope this helps in your decision!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

My brother had a soft top that I borrowed one day. I was gonna go across town for a drink with the wife and I finally pulled over in a shopping center and called her to just come and get me. I was being battered by the wind and it was just too annoying to try driving it anymore. What a piece of crap. I wasn't even 2 miles from the house. If you don't mind not enjoying driving then go for it, I guess. I think people buy these more for the image than for anything else. The reason I was even using it is because he took my car for a short trip out of town. I couldn't even imagine that.
    Last edited by TheresOnlyOneWay; 04.21.05 at 02:51 PM.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

P.S. I think he had 3 or 4 stereos ripped off out of it because of that stupid soft top.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have a 99 Sport. bought it new.

buy a six cylinder, the fours are dogs. the sixes run forever, there's a lot of guys on the Jeep boards that have gotten 200,000 miles out of it. and if you ever want to get bigger tires, the six will handle it better, the four will get even slower. the ride on the freeway isn't too bad, it's not like i went from a big plush vehicle to this one. mileage isn't too great, but find a similar vehicle that does get good mileage (by similar i do not mean car based sissy trucks like Escapes, CR-V's, and RAV4's). it's a BOX, not a aerodynamic shape that's close to the ground.

i have both the hard and soft tops, plus the bikini top/windjammer/tonneau cover setup. i like having the rear defroster and wiper for the winter, since the soft windows can't be scraped. if you can find one with factory dual tops it's the way to go, at least try to get the full hard doors. if it's real hot, the air works great, and it inflates the top so it cuts down on the wind noise on the highway. it's really flappy with the air off and a window down.

i knew what i was getting into when i bought it, with the wind noise, ride, etc. my dad worked at the Jeep plant and we always had one, and those were WAY more utilitarian than they are now. it's definitely not a ride for everyone. i wanted one since i was probably five years old and i'll never get rid of it.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay
    I think people buy these more for the image than for anything else.
    you think too much.

i wanted a convertible, and even with my dad's Chrysler discount, the Wrangler was cheaper than a Sebring. then take into account that i'm in the snow belt where we routinely get two feet of snow in a storm...no way i'd live where i do and not have a 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay
    P.S. I think he had 3 or 4 stereos ripped off out of it because of that stupid soft top.
    there are security consoles available that would have been cheaper than buying two stereos. do it right the first time, and it's not an issue. i have a removable face Sony in the dash, and a 10 disc changer secured inside a locking trunk out back. haven't had an issue with either. some guys recommend leaving the doors unlocked so your top won't get slashed, but i haven't had issues with that. i routinely leave the top off overnight at work but i don't leave anything of value anywhere inside, not even in the glove box or stock console.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:44 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

Definitely the 4 liter 6. I've got a Cherokee with about 90k on it and no problems. :knocking on wood:

Someone told me one time that those are the same engines they put in NYC Taxic cabs. Not sure if it's true or not but it sounded good.

The Wrangler's hold there value pretty well too. Can't say the same about the Cherokee or the G Cherokee though.

The real jeep, however, will beat you to death on the highway.
    Dealing with it.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84
    Someone told me one time that those are the same engines they put in NYC Taxi cabs. Not sure if it's true or not but it sounded good.
    i don't know about that...i can ask my dad, he'd probably know.

i've got 93k on the TJ...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jeep Wranglers are great if you are an outdoor, back-woods type. They are the best 4WD vehicle, for the price, that you can buy. I like the hard-top myself.
    If you are not going to be hitting the logging roads and old county roads in your area then do your homework, check insurance rate/gas mileage and maintenance costs. 4WDs of any stripe can be expensive for even basic tune-ups. Make sure you factor in the price of tires too, Jeep tires can be steep, even the road-only types.

If you live on a ranch, somewhere it snows or you live for the great outdoors then the Wrangler is a great choice. For around town never to get muddy, then not so much.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Me and my friends went off-roading at our old middle school and drove under the goal posts. Plus we would take dips at 35 mph and hit air. So they're good if you want to do off roading fun shit like that.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.23.12 @ 12:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A jeep wrangler is a great investment on so many levels.
    I am on my second wrangler (first was a lease)
    They hold their resale value very well, check the blue book.
    4wd and convertible in one vehicle.
    Towing capacity of 3500lbs (good for jetskis, motorcycles, sleds, or small boats).
    The best and most fun off road capability out there.

I just got a 2004 wrangler X(straight 6). I put a tow hitch on it. The hitch cost me $100 from Quadratec, and the installation was 8 bolts. (took an hour). Electric harness was $25 and took 10 minutes to hook into the brake lights. I use it to tow a seadoo 14' boat with no issues. 4wd is handy on a wet boat slip.

The 4wd is very nice in the snow as well as being fun to drive.

I recommend getting the ragtop. Have never had experience with the hard top. Also, opt for the air conditioning. Even with the convertible, you need AC on those hot rainy days when you can't drop the top. If you can't get the full doors, you can go aftermarket and get half doors with glass sliding windows that are very nice.

The only downside of my jeep is that the ride is rough and a bit noisy, but it's a jeep for chrissakes, stop being a pussy. I would not recommend it for a long drive (Unless you are taking it camping), and the gas mileage is about 12mpg. other than that, you can't go wrong with a Jeep.

I also have leased 2 cherokees over the last 8 years and never had a problem as long as I kept up with the normal maintenance.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Jeeps are usually very dependable mechanically. Can't speak for the Wrangler, but the wife has an '03 Grand Cherokee, and it's great. Like Rico said, keep up with the scheduled maint and it will treat you well! That goes for any vehicle in my book.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

11.12.14 @ 04:07 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Definitely get the 4.0L straight 6 - I have that engine in a '94 GC and have over 238,000 miles on it so far.

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Urock

Thank You.
    Once again the VH community does not let us down.
    It will be mostly for driving around Milwaukee. We take the wife's company car on long trips. But I like driving convertables and I need something to pull a small fishing boat when we go camping. So the logical step seemed like a Jeep Wrangler.

- The six cylinder seems to be the consensus.
    - Mixed reviews for us folk on the soft/hard top. Both is best (of course).
    - Get the full door.
    - I don't give a crap about my image... unless that image is sitting on the side of the road with a broken car. hahaha
    VHLinks Fantasy Baseball Champions: 2004, 2009, 2011

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.25.10 @ 03:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hellohawk,

What did you decide about the Jeep Wrangler?