Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Umpiring (home plate) is hell!

I had to umpire an 11-12 year old baseball game last night. My sons are in the league and I am a coach on my oldests' team. So the requirement this year is that all coaches must umpire 5 or 6 games depending on which level (age) your children play in.

Well, I was the home plate ump last night. It's very cool yet a thankless job. Good ole EVH Fanatic punched out a couple of kids looking at called third strikes.

This was a lopsided affair. The final score was 18-4 or something like that. I had a clicker, chest protector, chin guards and face mask. It gets hot under that face mask btw.

Anyway for you guys with sons they may want to play baseball someday and as a responsible Dad you'll have to ump.

On Fire
    Last Online

10.01.07 @ 07:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Umpires, sheesh. I realize its a thankless job and whatever call you make, one team is gonna disagree. I call basketball, which is little different, but still not an easy job. The level of umpiring, at least where my son plays high school baseball and where I coach middle school, is pathetic. It seems like anyone who says "I'll call" gets to, qualified or not. There is no review process, because the same guys that suck continue to suck, year after year. I know my son and my players work their tales off to improve their game and then have to put up with guys who don't know a foul ball from a homerun (true story). I've always said this, if your strike zone is terrible, as long as its consistent for both teams, we'll adjust. If you suck, do it with authority. Don't be wimpy and change calls or give one team a "makeup call" for the one you blew last inning.

BTW, I HATE your signature.
    By the way, I'm not real good with baby-steps. My specialty is ass-kicking. -DLR

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Rude
    BTW, I HATE your signature.
    Good!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I was actually quite good dude. If anything I called the game equally as you mentioned and didn't give any advantages with the strike zone.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

You really decked a couple of kids buddy? Good for you!!! LOL!!!
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

05.04.08 @ 05:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a high school umpire, and it is a pretty tough job, but its worth it. And I completely agree with you about the heat. Especially during the summer when its 95 degrees and we still have to wear our wool pants. But its really good money, so its worth it. Anybody who's looking for extra cash, if you get state certified, you can make $45 or $50 a game, and if you choose your games wisely, you can work girls softball and those games only take 1hr 10min sometimes. Unless people get in your head easily, its definitely worth looking into for some good extra cash.
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

"It is not possible to have life after death since death is the end of life." -OV

"What doesnít kill you, will only make you pissed off!"
    -Alexi Laiho

"If I know I'm going crazy...I must not be insane." -Dave Mustaine

"Simpson, QUICK! Honk at that broad." -Mayor Quimby

On Fire
    Last Online

10.01.07 @ 07:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LoveWalkinIn
    I'm a high school umpire, and it is a pretty tough job, but its worth it. And I completely agree with you about the heat. Especially during the summer when its 95 degrees and we still have to wear our wool pants. But its really good money, so its worth it. Anybody who's looking for extra cash, if you get state certified, you can make $45 or $50 a game, and if you choose your games wisely, you can work girls softball and those games only take 1hr 10min sometimes. Unless people get in your head easily, its definitely worth looking into for some good extra cash.
    You didn't mention your state, and I understand if you don't want to. What is the screening process? Is there any review process? Do you have to get additional training? Just wondering.
    By the way, I'm not real good with baby-steps. My specialty is ass-kicking. -DLR

Favorite VH Album

Olive um
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!!
    Last Online

06.14.13 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to coach baseball and never envied the guys behind the plate. My hats off to all those that take on that thankless challenge.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:46 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

I play ice hockey and wouldn't want to be the refs no matter what. We have some really good refs that call an excellent game, but then there are some that have their heads so far up their own asses that they can't see the light of day. By the way, they get paid around $50 a game that last at the most 90 minutes. Sometimes they do 2-3 in one nite. That's some easy extra beer money if you're willing to put up with the headaches.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I'll be umping again Saturday. Don't know if I'll be behind the plate or not.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,472 Times in 899 Posts

I umpired a couple of games years ago and hated being behind the plate. Out in the field was ok. Yes, it is a thankless job.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:16 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I spent my high school years as an umpire and I would do 2 games a night for 4 or 5 nights a week throughout baseball season. My good friend and I were paired together so we did 1 game on the bases and the other behind the plate. I haven't thought much about it until I saw this thread. I now vividly remember those hot, humid summer nights behind the plate with sweat literally dripping from my mask. By the end of game behind the plate I would have to peal the shin guards off of my legs. The early game was the worst because it was still sunny out. By the 8:30pm game the sun was pretty much gone and it was a bit easier of a go. The problem is at 8:30 the older guys played and they were a little more intense. They didn't like the idea of 18 year olds being umpired by 16 year olds. After heaving a couple of them they fell into line.

Thanks for the reminder. I actually enjoyed that time in my life. I only was hit by a flying object from the crowd twice!
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Currently: 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Panama
    Last Online

05.30.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I have memories of umpring too. I umpired from the time I was 14 until I was about 21 years old. I umpired mainly Little League with a few 15-16 year old game thrown in there. I would umpire on average 4 games a week and it was good money at the time. I also had another job but the umpring would pay for quite a bit. I knew almost everyone in the league including all the coaches because I was involved with the league as a player from the time I was 8. My dad was also a well respected coach there when I was a player. It was definitely a thankless job. But there were also MANY times that I got compliments from fans and coaches after games. I was fair and would make sure we got the calls right if there were any disputes. I also ran a tight ship. I can recall throwing 3 managers out and one player. I don't regret throwing out the one player. He cussed up a storm at me and was only 11!! The managers, parents, and other players were in shock at what was coming out of this kids mouth!!

I'm now 31 and have managed Little League baseball for the past 6 years. My wife and I don't have any kids yet but I have managed out of love for the game. I couldn't imagine doing anything else with my free time during baseball season. I played semi-pro baseball for 5 years and have lived and breathed baseball ever since I can remember.
    Thunder Mountain Brewing Company
    Owner and Brewmaster

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Bastard Stout (9.5% ABV)
    Bottled: 2011 Thunder Mountain Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
    Fermenting: 2011 Thunder Mountain Irrish Ale (4.9% ABV)

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool." -Eddie Van Halen, 1996

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Rude
    You didn't mention your state, and I understand if you don't want to. What is the screening process? Is there any review process? Do you have to get additional training? Just wondering.
    Right now I'm in Indiana, but I only go to school here. I umpire during the summer in Illinois. Usually if you look through the newspaper there are advertisements for Umpire companies. There is no screening process, you just have to take a test every year, 100 questions T/F. But its pretty tough every year. Also, every year you need to go to a rules meeting where they go over new rules for the year, and every three years you need to go to a clinic that is about 4 hours long which is the answer to your additional training question. You go to that the first year, and then every three. In the organization I ump for, you must be IHSA certified (Illinois High School Association) even if you don't plan on doing high school games. And then you also need to pay dues of $40 a year, and buy your equipment in the beginning. But it only takes a couple games to cover that stuff and then you can make some pretty nice scratch. Plus, you don't have to buy equipment every year, just the first. If you're looking for a way to find an organization, you could probably contact your state's high school association or look through the paper. But if your serious about getting into it, its fun and good money!
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

"It is not possible to have life after death since death is the end of life." -OV

-Alexi Laiho

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EVH FANATIC
    I'll be umping again Saturday. Don't know if I'll be behind the plate or not.
    Working the field is great. It's not hot, and the pressure your under is miniscule (spelling?) compared to behind the plate. IMO field umps should be paid less than the plate ump, but who am I to complain. I love working the field!
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

-Alexi Laiho