Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

06.01.07 @ 07:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Best/Worst Almost Van Halen Concert Experience

Hey guys, I'm new here so I apologize if this topic has been done a million times. But what's the best/worst concert you've seen featuring members of Van Halen but not the band. So Sammy or Dave Solo, Extreme, Montrose, Tribe of Judah, anyone old enough to see Halen before they were Halen, etc. My worst is easily Sammy's first solo tour here in Toronto, it was the most disappointing show I'd seen to that point (the Halen show in Hamilton this tour was worse though). He only played with 3 Halen songs and butchered 2 of them. My best would have to be Dave on his Skyscaper tour in Toronto. Real fun show.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Worst Almost Van Halen Concert Experience

This pisses me off to relive it again, but here goes. In '88 I went to Monsters of Rock in Dallas, TX, at the Cotton Bowl. Kingdom Come, Metallica, Dokken, Scorpions, and Van Halen. Me and 2 of my buddies went with another guy in my high school class and his girlfriend. We all rode together with the guy in my class.

The day was going great. Couldn't wait to see VH for the second time. After the third group plays and before Scorpions and VH come out, the guy who drove decides he is sick and we need to leave. "You gotta be kidding me!" Nope, he wants to leave. So we did. I was pissed. Drank all the beer I could, as fast as I could on the way home. Drowned my sorrows. Last count I remembered was my 5th beer to everyone elses 2nd. Don't remember much after that. But the worse thing was there was no VH memory either.

Last Online

02.18.12 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Summer Nights in Cabo
    This pisses me off to relive it again, but here goes. In '88 I went to Monsters of Rock in Dallas, TX, at the Cotton Bowl. Kingdom Come, Metallica, Dokken, Scorpions, and Van Halen. Me and 2 of my buddies went with another guy in my high school class and his girlfriend. We all rode together with the guy in my class.

The day was going great. Couldn't wait to see VH for the second time. After the third group plays and before Scorpions and VH come out, the guy who drove decides he is sick and we need to leave. "You gotta be kidding me!" Nope, he wants to leave. So we did. I was pissed. Drank all the beer I could, as fast as I could on the way home. Drowned my sorrows. Last count I remembered was my 5th beer to everyone elses 2nd. Don't remember much after that. But the worse thing was there was no VH memory either.

The choices here were:

(a) Beat the fuck out of him so that he forgets he is sick
    (b) Let him suffer
    (c) Catch some other ride home
    (d) All of the above
    (e) Give in and suffer this misery the rest of your life and give others nightmares about it

"I write and play music for a living, I'm not a businessman. It seems like all attorneys ever do is stir up trouble. They create problems that never existed and ream you for half your money, then they try to fix what they started and nail ya for whatever money you got left. I'll tell ya, man, I don't see how these guys sleep at night." --Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

You are asking so I have to tell you.

I saw Sam and Dave in 02 at Alpine Music Theatre in Wisconsin.

Sam went on first and rocked.

Dave was absolutely horrible. I had brought a bunch of friends who were giving me shit that Dave was a has been, I was telling them to can it, and that I was sure they would enjoy the show...everyone was laughing at Dave and at me. He looked bad, sang horribly, and brought out all his gags like the JD bottle.

I heard Dave has gotten better since that tour. He sounded ok with the Pops last summer.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,599 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

LOL...I love these threads. Lots of peeps know my bitterness at the Monsters of Rock tour...I'm in your boat, SNIC, but shades of gray separate our experiences. I'm wired tonight on black tea, so I'll tell it in a bit more detail this time. Skip this post if you don't like my rambles.

And it's all true, honest to goodness, really and for sure. I wish it weren't.

Six of us. Two suites at the Westin Downtown, several miles from the LA Coliseum. Lots of Jack Daniels and cocaine consumption ensues pre-concert. We have no desire whatsoever to see Kingdom Come nor Dokken, so we load up even more beforehand. Wasted. Big time.

My girlfriend of the time, our designated driver for the night, piles us all in the back of her '78 Buick, takes us to the coliseum, through the USC districts. We hoot and holler at what seems like an endless parade of silver and black clad LA Raiders fans. We storm outta the car at the gates, tell my gal we'll call her from the 7-11 across the street from the arena after the show to come get us. Among us, stuffed in crevices and folds best left to the imagination, are various concert party favors, including our one bag of weed, several coke bullets, and a few flasks of whiskey.

1. At entry, the dude holding the weed gets snagged by yellow-jacketed coliseum security. Rows of blue-shirted LA police, both on horseback and manning paddywagons, stand nearby. Turns out at this particular gate, they're offering an amnesty of sorts....give up any discovered contraband and go on in, or bitch about the tight patdowns and get arrested. Guess a hundred thousand people who're obviously in possession of varying illicit goods are too hard to handle. So we lose the one bit that's gonna take off our edge at the end of the night. They don't find the bullets or the flasks though. Next time, roll the joints and put 'em in the cig packs, yeah, yeah, we knew, we were just crispy-fried.

2. One of our guys heads off for beer and a corndog. We don't see him again until we're back at the hotel much later. Turns out he was standing too near a biker fight, and thought he was observing far enough away, but the cops didn't think he was afar enough. Forcibly ejected, his portion of the night's proceeds down the drain. (200 bucks a tick for 3rd row center on the floor of the Coliseum, another 75 per person for the limo, varying costs of drugs and booze, 80 per person for the suites). He wasn't happy for months after.

3. We get up to the loge and take in the view of the seething masses. We realized we've missed half of Metallica's set, but that ain't the worst of it. Turns out Hetfield at some point in the set called down all the nosebleed seats from their rafters, and the yellow-jackets and blue-shirts gave up on enforcing assigned seating as 30,000 wastoids swarmed the stage. 200 dollar 3rd row center. Now just a massive mosh pit half a football field wide, festival style. Fuck.

4. We all lose each other in the crowd. I barely listen to the Scorpions' set, I'm so pissed off.

5. Halen takes FOREVER to set up. The crowd gets antsy and starts throwing toiler paper rolls, beer bottles and cups, parts of loge seats. Debri rains down on everybody. It's pre-riot city.

6. Vh takes the stage. I'm alone, in the back of the floor, glaring at all the nosebleeders. Strung out, coming down, no more drugs. Mine all Mine never sounds worse.

7. We meet up at 7-11 after the show. We're all pissed off and we don't know where our sixth buddy is. We can't get through on the payphone to my gal back at the hotel. The spires of the downtown highrises of LA look deceptively close from USC. We're so strung out, we decide to walk, figuring my girl would take forever to get there with the 110 traffic and the concert exodus. 'Twenty or thirty minutes,' we stupidly figure. Coke's a dangerous thing, boys n girls. Just say no.

8. We start realizing our mistake when we reach the outer USC districts and are hurriedly walking through deserted underpass streets lined with barred pawn shops, empty warehouses, and used car lots framed with barbed wire. Five blonde SoCal water polo dudes walking east Figueroa Street in the late 80's. We might as well have been carrying placards saying Fresh Meat. We pass through a makeshift shantytown for the homeless under the 110. Varying asylum escapees press us for funds. Nobody kills us. Surprise.

9. Finally it happens. A glittery purple lowrider Datsun pulls up to us, slammed down to seriously non-legal levels. A rumbling voice says "You motherfuckers don't belong here." We say nothing, pick up our pace. Then a sawed off double barrel shotgun is perched out the passenger window and cocks. The voice says, "Run, motherfuckers, run." We run. Laughter follows us, as does the truck for a few blocks, then it turns off. We run all the way back to the Westin. Another hour. Hacking smokers' coughs all the while. Two of us (one of them me) puke up our guts en route.

10. I elicit my friends not to tell my gal about our motivation for our recent bout of midnight exercise. It mighta upset her. It's two am. Our friend who got booted is passed out in his room. My gal's pissed we didn't call.

All true, believe me. Monsters of Fucking Rock. Blecch. I ended up hitting the OU812 post-Monsters leg of tour to make up for the summer debacle, down in San Diego at the sports arena. Much better. And uneventful.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

It's like a bad dream, Squal.

You know the dream...you are gonna screw around with some girl you've been fantasizing about for months, and you can't seem to find the right place or time with her...you wake up frustrated and unfulfilled?
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

pretty much all of them
    Last Online

04.02.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ouch man.....LOL These are horrible stories.

I dont have anything like this.

Well Sammy and Lynard SKynard are supposed to be playing this rock show in houston in 2003 and i somehow got a free ticket to it. I go and Lynard ends up canceling so Sammy is playing a full set. I thought to myself you know i dont like Sammy solo too much but maybe he'll play some VH stuff and be a good show. I walk into the venue and i see some old buddies of mine i havent seen in forever. Whats the first they say ? " hey wanna get high?" . Not having a job at the time i said "no" but i really wanted to get fucked up so i smoked a ton of weed right before sammy comes on. We went through 2-3 blunts between the 4 of us.

Sammy comes on and im completely whacked. I'm having a panic attack since it was the first tiem i smoked in like 10 months since i was unemployed and looking for a job. I swear to god i was having hallucinations and seeing shit that wasnt really there coming off the stage. I really had to take a piss too but i was so paranoid that i ENVISIONED in my head tripping down the lawn and getting picked up by some cops for having some dope on me. I was pretty paranoid for a while. (funny how ive never had a bad experience before or after)

But Sammy played a good show.The whole tiem i was thinking "man....if he sounds this good solo imagine how goold he'd sound with VH right now"...pfft what an eh show from VH last year.
    What do you mean i dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Runaround
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

In March 1979 I went to a Boston concert with Sammy as the opening act. I didn't know who he was or any of his songs.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

The EAS tour. I was really looking forward to it, too. I didn't understand why only about 2500 people showed up. Then Dave made the huge mistake of saying "10,000 of my closest friends" when he should've adjusted that number accordingly. The jeering started from there. Mostly because the show was a Van Halen-less Van Halen show-people came to see THEIR songs, not VH. The boos got real bad when Vai did Eruption. The low point was the Big Gulp cup bouncing off Dave's dome.

Second was the Sam and Dave tour. Glad Sam played first because Dave wasn't very good at all and we left about halfway thru his set.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Wow Van Squalen, whatta terrible night!!! So sorry to hear of your troubles. Not the way to see the Monsters of Rock. But guess we all have our personal worsts and I'm no exception.
    In 1987, or 1988, I drove 200 miles to San Francisco to buy tickets for this show. The trip was me and my little girl - she was 1 or 2 at the time. The entire trip was a nightmare but we made it back home okay. So I'm cleaning out my car and stupid me, I left my tickets right in front, between the seats. Next thing I know, my little girl is eating the tickets, what's left is unusable. So I was out the $ and a long trip. That sucked.

Another time, I had tix for VH 5150 tour and was ready to go, when my babysitter backed out on me. I couldn't find anyone else to watch my little girl, so that was that. Not sure where my ticket ended up, but hope they enjoyed the show.

This past summer, we went to Sacto for the show. Being unfamiliar with Arco Arena parking, we spent the better part of an hour looking for our car after the show. We were wondering if it had been towed or stolen. But eventually found the car. Not too stupid.

BTW - in an unrelated incident, we traveled over 150 miles to see GNR. Before the show starts, everyone is instructed on their behavior, no throwing objects at the stage, etc. So what happens? Two songs into their set, some a-hole throws a beer bottle which hits Axl head on. Next thing I know, the lights are up and everyone's herded out the door which starts a mini-riot. That sucked.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc

This past summer, we went to Sacto for the show. Being unfamiliar with Arco Arena parking, we spent the better part of an hour looking for our car after the show. We were wondering if it had been towed or stolen. But eventually found the car. Not too stupid.
    LOL...Arco Arena. I hear ya, man. That place can get cluster-fucked before and after a show. I went to undergrad school at Chico, so during my tenure up north that was my local venue. When we saw Rush on the Presto tour, we walked around that lot for hours tailgating. Also saw Stevie Ray and Jeff Beck on his last tour before the accident at Arco.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.09.07 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Squalen, what's wrong with you?

Nobody thus far has even mentioned the fact that maybe your bad night might have possibly been your own fault. You were too busy worrying about your freakin' drugs to enjoy yourself and the show. If you mentioned your beloved "coke" once in that long diatribe you must have mentioned it a half dozen times. Next time (if there ever is a next time) leave all that crap at home and try enjoying the music.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VHJones
    Nobody thus far has even mentioned the fact that maybe your bad night might have possibly been your own fault. You were too busy worrying about your freakin' drugs to enjoy yourself and the show. If you mentioned your beloved "coke" once in that long diatribe you must have mentioned it a half dozen times. Next time (if there ever is a next time) leave all that crap at home and try enjoying the music.
    ....Squal....I didn't know your Mom was a Links member?

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by emm5150
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by emm5150

Thanks for the afterschool special pep talk, Jones. Maybe you aren't aware of this indisputable fact, Van Halen was, and is, a party-hearty band. At the US Fest, the '84 tour, 5150, et.al., there were precious few, if any, attendees who weren't inebriated in some fashion. I think it goes without saying my post quite obviously berated the issue of substance abuse. My 'beloved coke' was anything but, and I think my tone was evident regarding it. I'm thankfully reformed these days, but in my youth, I was quite the rager. But tell me, do you hit the skip button when Bottoms Up or Cabo Wabo comes up on the player? Do you look away when Dave or Mike chugs the JD, or when Sam shoots the mezcal and lime, or when Ed sparks up a fattie? Now since you're so offended by gratuitous details of concert life in southern California, and since you obviously have missed the boat on Dave and Sam's various odes to lifestyle, why don't you get back to listening to your Pat Boone greatest hits CD and shut the fuck up.