Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Default Just bought a new amp...

...a Splawn Pro Mod. Got a nice deal on a used one. In my semi-relentless pursuit for a Soldano SLO-100, I did a lot of research and found this for 1/2 the price. As soon as I get it, I'll try to post some sound clips for anyone interested (if I can figure out how to post w/o a web host for the clips).
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen,1984,Fuck,
    Favorite VH Song

LUTS,ddl,Amsterdam
    Last Online

03.24.12 @ 06:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As soon as I get it, I'll try to post some sound clips for anyone interested
    that would be great.
    "I talked to the cancer. I told the f*cker the party was over" - Eddie Van Halen

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman". - Homer Simpson

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

02.26.17 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts

now that you're a member of the splawn club come out and hang with us at the splawn fans board...
    Last edited by elvhfan; 04.14.05 at 12:52 PM.
    let's be real...EVH was GOD

Runnin' might put too much focus on the fact that there's a little kid on bass - knuck

I see three bona fide ROCK GODS, and then somebody's kid. - CaboTime

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Well, for anyone interested in these, I've had one (a Pro Mod) for about a week now and have some good time in on it. Here's a quick review on the tone:

The sound clips on the Splawn web page are pretty accurate.

It is actually quite versatile despite the obvious VH pinnings. I am amazed at the sustain that the amp's got. Even at a bedroom volume, I am getting about 10 seconds of non-harmonic feedback natural sustain from the rhythm channel.

Clean Channel: Better than I thought it would be. A little bit flat, but more dynamic as it gets turned up. When turned up it can get into SRV territory. With the right set of Fender Pickups, this think will quack all over the place. Not very "shimmery" but has a nice ring to it.

Overdrive 1 (Rhythm) Channel: Well, this is where the bread and butter is. If you really want VH, this is pretty much where it's at. My drummer and I laughed out loud after playing a few VH songs through it because the tone was just right on target. Thick, punchy, and dynamic. This thing has more gain than you'll need at about 12:00 setting. I find myself finding great sounds by turning down the pre-amp gain to about 9:00 and pushing the power tubes with the master up. This yields a more old-school plexi type tone with a nice cut. I give it up to Mr. Splawn, he delivers an amp "as advertised." The great thing is that you are not limited as you would be with say, a 5150. It's not a one-trick pony.

Overdrive 2 (Lead) channel:

See Overdrive 1 with a little more gain and a tad of compression.

When I first played this I was almost knocked over by the brightness of the amp--I have been used to playing a Mesa Boogie Triaxis that is a lot darker and smoother. But after fiddling with the EQ (it works!) I found that a lot of that high end could be dialed out.

I would be glad to post some soundclips, but I do not have a host site to upload them. I don't have a "studio" per se, so the sounds would be mic'd by my computer's omnidirectional mic (which actually is not too bad!). Any volunteers let me know and I'll forward some sound samples for posting.
    Last edited by mk5; 04.25.05 at 03:18 PM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?