Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Default Losing weight

My whole life I've wanted to be thinner.

When I was in the Coast Guard, I achieved this elusive goal...I lost 25 lbs before boot camp and another 40 pounds during it. I slowly put on 20 lbs before my "A" school...but all we did was play hoops at night in the hot Virginia summer air, and I was down to an astounding 175 lbs. (Astounding for me, because I hadn't weighed this little since probably 8th grade.)

I'm 6 foot 1 inch tall...I weigh every bit of 240 lbs and I'm tired of it....again...it was one thing to be heavy back in high school to play a big bruising lineman, but I don't want to be called "big guy" anymore.

I'm still very active...aside from wanting to lose weight, I don't have any self-esteem issues...I just eat junk. It is an addiction like anything else I feel...

Anyone have any good secrets, or ways to increase will power? C'mon, which chubs want to go on a diet with me? Anyone, anyone?
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been a big guy all my life as well and recently had my doctor prescribe me phentermine. I do have high BP (well more along the lines of 'elevated')and have to watch it when i'm on these put so far the pounds have just been melting off. It really helps with the cravings and now i'm pretty much just getting a silm fast bar when I get up, one good meal and might have a little something (bowl of cereal) for dinner. I hoping to start working out some but it's been hard with my work schedule and having to work some overtime to have extra $$$ for me and the mrs.

If you can convince your doctor to give you a script it'll help big time, so far the only disadvantage i've had is that I can't sleep (which is a normal side effect) but then again an abnormal schedule since I work til 1:30am. Just make sure if you get it that you watch your BP religiously.

My insurance wouldn't cover it (unless I filled out a ton of paperwork, jumped through endless hoops..etc,etc,etc) but places like Wal-Mart and Sam's will fill it with a script and only charge me about $28 dollars w/o insurance and you can always comparionship shop around for prices with other pharms.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quit the junk. I know it's easier said than done, but you can change your
    habits; replace 1/3 to 1/2 of those trips to Jack in the Box with leftover
    fish and rice, cut your dairy by switching to soy milk (I swear by it), and
    replace the Snickers with a Power Bar. I'm not sure what you mean by
    "still very active", but you're at that age where you're basically gonna have
    to double your aerobic activities of 10 years ago to loose anything. I try
    to burn 300-400 calories runing in the gym (with the VH pumping thru the
    Discman, natch) at least 3-4 times a week before or after I lift. This may
    or may not sound like much, but that's at least 1200 calories a week
    that's not hanging around anymore.

I was always Shaggy thin as a kid, but I had to consciously make all the
    aforesaid adjustments at your age. Now, I'm in the shape of my life - a svelt
    165 - and am actually trying to get UP to 175, only by way of more muscle.
    How the hell do I do that?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've heard doing at least 30 minutes cardio (e.g. jogging or bike riding) first thing in the morning before breakfast or anything is the best way to go.

Also if you feel sluggish inside from too much drinking or fatty food eating, a good 2 week detox is also helpful of giving you back energy both physically and mentally. You should easily be able to find one on the market in your health stores. I do it usually once a year to keep myself in moderation.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Donor

Thanks for the tips, guys. mistere, it is so funny that you mentioned Snickers...there's one of my downfalls right there.

When I say I'm active, I don't mean working out. I do mean keeping up with the kids, walking the dog, yard work, etc.

I pretty much know the answer is more activity and less food...I just have to quit the junk as you put it so succinctly.

Rovus, tell me about this detox thing...what do you mean? Some kind of pill that "cleans you out" (which I presume means lots of shitting?)

Any side effects?.. I mean aside from the obvious? What is the official name of the stuff?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth
    Rovus, tell me about this detox thing...what do you mean? Some kind of pill that "cleans you out" (which I presume means lots of shitting?)

Any side effects?.. I mean aside from the obvious? What is the official name of the stuff?
    Good guess.

Yeah going from memory, the 15 day program which I used is basically rearranging your eating plan as well taking 4 different tablets (stomach, liver, intestines, bowel) to clear out unwanted substances inside which all comes out onto Mr Toilet.

The diet plan is like:

Drinking warm water with lemon squeeze first thing in the morning - VERY IMPORTANT FOR THE LIVER.
    Breakfast mainly consists of raw muesli with soy milk (dairy milk or other products aren't allowed)
    Mid morning snacks can be a banana with green/herbal tea (citris fruit is a no no)
    Lunch is salad sandwiches on wholemeal bread (no yeast bread or butter)
    Mid afternoon snack, same as the mid morning.
    Dinner can be wholemeal pasta, rice, stir fry, or grilled fish on ocassions.
    During the day, you'll have to take 10 tablets a day (about 1cm in size) as assistance.

Your body will usually react on the 2nd or 3rd day when you feel urgent need to go the bathroom. Side effects can be feeling light headed or lack of energy but the program offers a FAQ to assist for that. Keep in mind, it's not intended to be used as a weight loss program. Seriously, you'll feel great afterwards just like BootCamp.

This was the one I used on the Aussie market, there should be similar programs in the US:

http://www.australiashop.com/crown-1.jpg

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Rovus; 04.14.05 at 01:00 AM.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Donor

Thanks bro. I appreciate it.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:46 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Before I went to Boot Camp for the Army I dropped an ASStoudning 70+ lbs by watching what I eat, cut out desserts almost totally, eat "candy" very sparingly, and run, run, run. I also play ice hockey about once every 7-10 days for the past 4 or so years. Didn't try any of those damn diet fads or such. So here's my lose-weight plan: watch what you eat, SMALLER PORTIONS, if you snack - snack healthy, and exercise, exercise, exercise. I talked to my doctor and with my big frame he suggested more of a walk-run plan if I wanted to run. Running is not good for you unless you've got the body for it. I also work out (i.e. lift weights and do some kind of cardio) almost every day at work. By doing what I've just talked about, I've dropped 10 lbs in the past 6 or so weeks
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Yeah, thanks for the tips fellas!!!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:17 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I am in a similar boat as you, Extreme. I am 6'5", 285 pounds. I am not "fat" per say, but I am definitely a husky guy! I stay active by walking 3 miles every morning with my dad, and then walk another mile after work at the fitness center before lifting weights 3 or 4 times a week. My downfall is fast food. I try to eat salads 4 times a week for dinner, but Friday, Saturday and Sunday kills me. The last thing I want to do is cook (even though I have a brand new kitchen), and I feel like I am going to turn into a rabbit if I keep eating salads! It is all a self control thing, and so far I have very little! I would like to get down to 250 - 260 pounds (I like being known as a big guy). I would be fine weighing 285 if it was more muscle then fat, but so far it isn't. With time, I'm sure that will change.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm trying to lose weight as well. I'm 5'10" and was up to 190. I wasn't huge or anything but I wanted to get back in shape. So far so good, I'm down to 178 or so and I've put on some muscle weight as well. I subscribe to Men's Health and there are a lot of good tips in there. The Abs Diet Power 12 or whatever it's called is pretty good for what to eat. I don't know if you should cut out dairy... I've heard that the calcium actually helps you lose weight. Just go with skim instead to avoid the extra fat, etc. I'm not a big fan of skim milk though. I drink the stuff that's skim but it tastes like 2%. Not sure what it's called.
    I would avoid all of the crazy diets if you can. They usually only work until you stop. Who wants to eat rice cakes and bean sprouts for the rest of their life? The best way to do it is eat the right stuff and hit the gym.
    My biggest problem is that I don't have time to get to the gym. My work will give us $20 toward a gym membership which would pretty much cover it if I went to the YMCA or something. Instead, I started doing Combat Conditioning. I can do it at home and I don't need any equipment. It's actually working pretty well and your less likely to be injured than if you hit the weights too hard too soon. Check it out at http://mattfurey.com/conditioning_book.html.
    I'll admit I was skeptical but it seems to be working for me. If you can do 50 regular pushups, you'd probably have a tough time with 25 of his Hindu pushups. If you're short on time, he recommends 3 exercises that you should do that will give you pretty much a full body workout.
    Of course, I'm not an expert on any of it, that's just what's worked for me so far.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 319 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I need to drop 20-30 myself. Checking in at 6'7" and 270. Which isn't horrible except for the fact I played hoops at 210 in college. I really don't have the big burly frame. I show the fat in my face big time.

I just need to eat smarter. I'm getting there, trying to cut down on my portions, have a medium or small sub instead of a large, etc. I also need to get off my ass and do something physical, but I can't run, my body breaks down if I do. Would love to get back to playing hoops, but I have to drop some weight first to take the pressure off my knees and achilles.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many!
    Last Online

03.12.07 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Don't deprive yourself of the foods you enjoy. This will only drive you crazy and make you even more miserable. Simply downsize your portions, try to stay active and don't eat before bed time!
    "Maybe I was the only one, but I really felt like we could surprise these guys. Obviously, that was not the case."

Brett Favre 09/10/06

http://www.myspace.com/lionzrule

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

My wife and I did the Weight Watchers a few years ago and I had gotten down from 230 to 195 and did it without feeling sick (which had happened when we tried Atkins). But then I went into a period when I had to travel a lot for my company and it went right back up. I don't understand it either - when I travel, I usually don't eat lunch but I have breakfast and dinner. I know part of the problem when I travel is I see these appetizers that I "have" to have and I think that's a big part of the problem - I don't have appetizers every night, mind you, but it must be enough to push me up. It still doesn't make sense though, because when I travel, I'm usually more active - having to run up and down stairs and stuff like that. It just sucks 'cause I know I have no (and have never had) any type of metabolism - I've seen plenty of people that can eat me under the table that never seem to gain a pound. I do try to get out and run around with my kids a little bit, but even on grass my feet just take a beating.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many!
    Last Online

03.12.07 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I am what you just described Billy yet my quick metabolism is as bothersome to me as yours is to you. I eat eat eat....and can't gain a pound. I try to consume at least 3500 calories a day with about 150 grams of protein. I also go to the gym and lift heavy weights with low reps and STILL I struggle to gain weight. Protein shakes....cheesecakes...cupcakes..etc. I take them all! I'll trade metabolisms any day.
    "Maybe I was the only one, but I really felt like we could surprise these guys. Obviously, that was not the case."

Brett Favre 09/10/06

http://www.myspace.com/lionzrule