Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

NBA Age Limit

I'm sure most of you read Jermaine O'Neal's comments yesterday regaring the age limit the NBA is proposing. What is everyone's opinion on this topic? Here's mine-I think there should be an age limit on players coming into the NBA for several reasons. First, let's look at the recent high school kids coming into the NBA: LeBron, Kobe, T-Mac, Kevin G., and J. O'Neal. Other than James, none of these players provided an immediate impact towards their team. I can't think of any h.s. players who were drafted high and began to play right away (James being the exception). It took at least 3 years before these players were able to play at the NBA's level. At that time, their rookie contract was up, if I'm not mistaken. Granted, they are amazing players now, but I can still recall Kobe/T-Mac/etc riding the pine as their teams struggled through the season. Instead of riding the pine, they could have been in college improving their game and themselves personally. Look at Tim Duncan-he spent 4 years in college and provided an immeadiate impact on his team. Secondly, whenever a team "drafts" a player, it seems all the G.M.'s are scared they are going to miss the next Kobe/T-Mac/etc. So they are drafting on what could be instead of what is (i.e. Kwame Brown). Finally, when I went to college, I grew up. I found out who I was and what I believed in. It was my first time away from home and I was on my own. It certainly couldn't hurt if Kobe had the same experiences I did.
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

There's an excellent article on this subject on espn.com right now...

O'Neal is wrong about the racism. The fact of the matter is that HS kids just can't compete their first years in the league. LeBron is a a rarer talent than even Jordan. Even Garnett took several years to become the monster he is. O'Neal's comments are even more lame considering how long it took him to become the player he is...

It's not a race issue. Stern knows what a joke the quality of the game is overall and he needs to address it...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    There's an excellent article on this subject on espn.com right now...

O'Neal is wrong about the racism. The fact of the matter is that HS kids just can't compete their first years in the league. LeBron is a a rarer talent than even Jordan. Even Garnett took several years to become the monster he is. O'Neal's comments are even more lame considering how long it took him to become the player he is...

It's not a race issue. Stern knows what a joke the quality of the game is overall and he needs to address it...
    I too recall O'Neal rotting on Portland's bench for several years. That's just the thing, he didn't do much of anything in Portland and then he "blossomed" for lack of a better word, when he went to Indy. Could he have been this good in Portland had he gone to college for a few years?

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

I agree with Sacto. I think the one thing that seperates Lebron's situation when he was coming out of high school from other kids is that he had an NBA body. He wasn't all lean and frail like most kids are coming out of high school.

I agree that there should be an age limit, although I do see Jermane's point about hockey and baseball. He doesn't know that most of those kids get sent down to the minor's and juniors to hone their craft, and basically just bulk up for the contact they're going to take.

There are a ton of things in every league that could be linked to direct racism, but this is not one of em. As an afro-american I believe that every black kid coming out of high school needs to go to college. I'm not saying they have to stay the full four years, but too many ppl have died for us to have the right to get a collegiate education. So for that we owe them by atleast attending college for a mandatory 2yrs.

All these kids coming out early is exactly the reason why the crop of players just aren't as good as they used to be. You just don't have the experience to compete with guys that have been playing in the NBA for years, and also have that college experience under their belt.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:15 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I'm not the biggest fan of college athletics and realise that the "education" most of these guys get in college is a joke. If a guy can play, then if a team wants to take a chance on 'em, they should be able to. I might make it mandatory that you have to finish high school or something, but I don't think they should be required to go to college. Of course, it would help if the NBA had a minor league like baseball does, but I believe all the "secondary" basketball leagues (except maybe the WNBA) have dried up, right?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

That's a good point also Billy. However there are a good deal of these players that do go to college to play ball and get an education.

Even if the education they get at college isn't worth shit, atleast they're getting a chance to play at another level and hone their craft. So many players today come into the league with no sense of the art of defense, or a perimeter game. Everybody wants to play this "backyard basketball" style of game that you see on ESPN2. I think if more of these guys went to college their overall game would be more refined.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:05 AM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Ignorant statements by Jermaine O'Neal IMO.

And yes there should be an age limit. For every Kobe, KG, and Lebron, there have been guys like Qyntel Woods, even Jermaine O'Neal, etc. that definitely weren't ready for the NBA at 18. And it has nothing to do with the color of their skin, it has to do with maturity.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

If teams would do better scouting, and use more restraint, this wouldn't be an issue. Pistons included.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    That's a good point also Billy. However there are a good deal of these players that do go to college to play ball and get an education.

Even if the education they get at college isn't worth shit, atleast they're getting a chance to play at another level and hone their craft. So many players today come into the league with no sense of the art of defense, or a perimeter game. Everybody wants to play this "backyard basketball" style of game that you see on ESPN2. I think if more of these guys went to college their overall game would be more refined.
    Granted, the "education" the college player gets may or may not be legit, but there's more to college than just taking tests and going to class. Again, for me, I grew up and found out who I was-what I believed in-what I stood for-etc.

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

How about this one to make it even harder...

Age restriction, and college degree required to enter the league. Mandatory. Then the kids who worship these players would instantly understand that education is not only important, it's impossible to move into the league without it.
    Last edited by stratogibson; 04.13.05 at 08:29 PM.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    Ignorant statements by Jermaine O'Neal IMO.
    He's your run of the mill smart ass punk kid with too much money and too much mouth. Not enough of what we call, "da social skills." He's a fucking racist for even saying that. But we can't say that shit these days. Fuck him. I hate basketball by the way. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Age limit needs to be enforced. It'll make the college game better. I know for a fact DePaul got screwed a couple times in a last couples years by recruits going NBA at the last minute.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by csm5150
    Granted, the "education" the college player gets may or may not be legit, but there's more to college than just taking tests and going to class. Again, for me, I grew up and found out who I was-what I believed in-what I stood for-etc.
    That's another great point. I know for alot of hockey kids, it's sort of a shock for them once they hit the league because alot of them didn't have the "college experience." And as you pointed out, that's more then just going to class and taking tests. I agree that it's important that these kids experience college life, as well as get the experience on the court.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:15 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by csm5150
    I'm not there, but I just don't see these "student"/athletes, especially the better ones, having the same kind of college experience as the rest of the students. I imagine them being pampered and catered to the minute the university starts courting them...

I could be wrong, though...

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't agree with an age limit. If GM's want to fuck themselves by drafting 18 yr old kids that won't be ready to play until 3 or 4 yrs down the road... let them.