Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Some fans unimpressed with Dodger Stadium changes

Some fans unimpressed with Dodger Stadium changes

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Fans attending the Dodgers' home opener Tuesday had mixed reactions to seating changes designed to bring them closer to the players.

Sure, they loved being able to see Barry Bonds up close during pre-game introductions (he's injured and didn't play), but some of them grumbled about the price they paid.

Some season ticket holders who used to be in the front rows now find themselves anywhere from the second to the 12th row, even if they paid for the 1,600 expensive new seats down the foul lines and behind home plate.

The seats have reduced the 43-year-old stadium's foul territory to 20,000-square-feet - two-thirds of the previous total. That means some balls that used to be outs now will become souvenirs.

Penny Altman of Encino, a season ticket holder for 28 years, was sunning herself in a fourth-row seat before the game, lamenting how she used to be in the front row - albeit farther down the first-base foul line than she was Tuesday.

"I'm definitely not happy there are people's heads in front of me," she said. "There was nothing for me to look at in January to see if I would like it, so I took the chance."

Her three seats cost her $70 each, or a total of $17,010 for 81 home dates. She plans to attend 35 games and sell her other tickets.

"I had to go digging for rich people, doctors and lawyers," she said, adding she probably can't afford to renew next year.

Altman and some others in the new seats lamented the lack of padding to rest their backsides on.

"As long as they're so expensive, at least they could have been comfortable," she said.

Mother-and-daughter duo Mary Boger and Liz Weaver of Glendale watched batting practice from second-row seats as Mary Boger polished off her first Dodger Dog of the season. They renewed their two season tickets for the 12th year after debating the $100 per seat cost ($16,200 total) and $1,000 season parking expense.

"We're five feet lower than field level," Weaver said. "This will be nice for a lot of first-base action and first and second double plays."

But her mother lamented what she sees as team owners Frank and Jamie McCourt's increased emphasis on generating revenue.

"I'm a little disappointed by this constant push for more money," Boger said. "The owners have lost sight that we don't buy these tickets for victories. If that was the case, we would've stopped a while back. We come because we love the game."

McCourt said Monday that the changes were focused on improving the stadium and the fans' experience.

"We're real happy with what we accomplished this offseason and we plan to make more improvements next year," he said. "We're not trying to make (Dodger Stadium) different, we're trying to make it more modern, bring it into the 21st century."

An 1,100-foot electronic message board, similar to one at Staples Center, was added to the edge of the loge level, allowing the team to increase advertising. Both dugouts were expanded and placed closer to the field, giving fans a better view inside.

Tradition has long been important to Dodger fans, some of whom complained about the new advertising on the outfield wall that replaced images of Dodger greats such as Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax.

Gary Harter of Northridge and his 75-year-old mother Joan were sitting in seats to the left of the Dodgers' dugout that the family has owned since 1963. They gulped when prices shot from $35 to $70 each this season.

"For what we're getting, it's not worth it, but we'd never give them up," Gary said. "You're close to the action, but we're awfully low. There's a lot of (foot) traffic in front of us."

Rows were made longer to accommodate the new seats and in some places access has been compromised by fewer aisles.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Aren't these the fans that leave in the 4th and chat on their cell phones the whole time?
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many!
    Last Online

03.12.07 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Tickets jumped from $35 to $75 ea.!! That's just about as bad as Michigan Wolverine season tickets! Holy shit!
    "Maybe I was the only one, but I really felt like we could surprise these guys. Obviously, that was not the case."

Brett Favre 09/10/06

http://www.myspace.com/lionzrule

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:05 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BottomzUp
    Tickets jumped from $35 to $75 ea.!! That's just about as bad as Michigan Wolverine season tickets! Holy shit!
    Thats a big jump in ticket prices!!
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

Still one of the most-beautiful stadiums in all of baseball. Everybody should go to a game there.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

People just bitch to bitch. Those new seats (according to what I can see on the seating chart) are hugging the foul lines. Since when do people not like to be closer to the field? The angles are more like Yankee Stadium.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    The angles are more like Yankee Stadium.
    Speaking of Yankee Stadium it was voted the best place to see a game (any sport).

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:17 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by EVH FANATIC
    Speaking of Yankee Stadium it was voted the best place to see a game (any sport).
    I was at Yankee Stadium last year as part of a baseball vacation my bro in law and I went on. The stadium overall was nice, especially the center field memorial park and retired numbers area. 2 things I didn't like were the cramped concourses (understandable since the stadium is 82 years old) and the insanely high prices on food and beverages. If I remember correctly, beer was $8!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

Voted by who? New Yorkers? Yankee ass kissers?

I've been to Yankee Stadium and while it may have the mystique, it is not nicer than Dodger Stadium.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Who are you kidding? That place sucks. You need binoculars in the left field bleachers. Yankee Stadium is a horrible place. It's just enshrined because the Yankees play there. Put the Texas Rangers in that place and then it's considered a total hole. That's why the Yankees want another stadium.
    Last edited by Pabs; 04.14.05 at 03:09 PM.

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett

I've been to Yankee Stadium and while it may have the mystique, it is not nicer than Dodger Stadium.
    Definitely not.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    There you go again.

Did you stay past the 4th inning?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    Who are you kidding? That place sucks. You need binoculars in the left field bleachers. Yankee Stadium is a horrible place. It's just enshrined because the Yankees play there. Put the Texas Rangers in that place and then it's considered a total hole. That's why the Yankees want another stadium.
    Not trying to kid anyone my friend. Secondly, they didn't want a new stadium because of the architeture (sp?) it had to do with parking, luxury boxes, etc... Those talks are history for the time being. I mean how the fuck can you knock down a landmark such as Yankee Stadium?

How do you like the White Sox' (kinda) new place compared to the old one?

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Not trying to kid anyone my friend. Secondly, they didn't want a new stadium because of the architeture (sp?) it had to do with parking, luxury boxes, etc... Those talks are history for the time being. I mean how the fuck can you knock down a landmark such as Yankee Stadium?

How do you like the White Sox' (kinda) new place compared to the old one?
    It's being reported that the Yankees are about to announce plans for a new stadium. The Yanks will put up 800 million for the stadium and the city and state will pay 300 million for parking, landscaping, new commuter station. It will be built just north of the current stadium and the exterior will be a replica of the original stadium.

As much as I hate the Yanks, gotta give it up for an owner willing to spend 800 million of his money for a stadium and not force taxpayers to do it, like here in South Florida.
    Last edited by Menlow; 04.16.05 at 05:59 PM.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    It's being reported that the Yankees are about to announce plans for a new stadium. The Yanks will put up 800 million for the stadium and the city and state will pay 300 million for parking, landscaping, new commuter station. It will be built just north of the current stadium and the exterior will be a replica of the original stadium.

As much as I hate the Yanks, gotta give it up for an owner willing to spend 800 million of his money for a stadium and not force taxpayers to do it, like here in South Florida.
    Just saw this report on the news bro. It would be for the 2009 season. It's to be voted on soon.