Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Soccer "fans" throw flares during match!

I got home from work around 6:30am (EST) this morning, turned on ESPN's "Sportscenter", and I honestly could not believe the footage featured.

Being an American, I know next to nothing about soccer (in fact it rarely get's covered at all, sparing events such as this), yet...man.
    The match was between AC Milan and Inter Milan...a goal was disallowed, and the fans apparently disagreed with the call, as they began pelting the field and players with flares !

ESPN showed one of the players getting nailed in the back with a flare, burning the crap out of him. He was treated on the field.

Needless to say, the match was canceled, as the "fans" continued to bombard the field with all sorts of stuff.

Great security, allowing the "fans" to smuggle in flares, yet not only that...what kind of shit-for-brains buys tickets to a sporting event and actually says to himself: "I better take some flares, I might need them."

Yes, I'm aware that a certain "pig-headed" group of NASCAR fans throw beer cans, and it happens at football and baseball games, also.

Yet this is simply sickening behavior, as it is obviously premeditated.

...craig
    Last edited by chefcraig; 04.13.05 at 05:58 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Why soccer sucks:

France is successful at participating at soccer. That should say something, especially to the British.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "World" Cup is not the a World's Cup, but a competition among 32 countries, disproportionately allotted to European countries.

Soccer hooligans.

Soccer is boring. Soccer is absurdly slow. I've had soccer apologists say with false pride how the average soccer participant "runs" 4 miles in a game. Newsflash: that means they are jogging less than 3 miles per hour. Translation: they are mostly standing around. BORING.

Soccer participants act like they've been shot - what pussies. Meanwhile, real athletes like Donovan McNabb or Bobby Baun play on broken legs.

Soccer is too simple an activity.

Penalty kicks. You are determining a winner by a random event that has no relevance to the rest of the game. It would be as stupid as replacing extra innings with batting practice.

Fruity penalty cards. How stupid is it to flash up some card to indicate the severity of a penalty? Richard Simmons was inspired to use them in his diet system. Are all penalties the same? Again, the inability to use the upper torso hampers soccer participants. Use hand signals, you troglodytes.

Psychotic fans. The South Korean loser who set himself on fire is one example. The mental stability of the murderer who killed that one player because he sucked (free clue: all soccer participants suck) is another.

Ties: 55% of games are ties. Ties suck.

Why not use your hands? Or your brain?
    Soccer hairdos.

Pompous pseudo-intellectual Europeans who become soccer fans in order to convince the populace of their link to the common man.

Soccer participants with one name. I can understand why your parents would disown any soccer participant, but they should take at least any last name.

Soccer hilites concentrate on what almost happens. When ESPN has the poor sense to show soccer hilites, they show missed shots, missed passes, etc. Any real sport shows things that actually contribute to the result. Soccer participants do not care about the result.

Soccer fans justify the activity based entirely on its popularity. Not only are the reasons why soccer is popular an argument against soccer, but it really shows how pathetic said activity is when that is the only argument soccer fans come up with.

The correct term for 0 is zero, not nil. Take a math class.

Buy a freaking cup, you pansies.

Soccer is not objective. There is no play clock. The game doesn't end after the clock has run down. This adds bias, subjectivism and appeals to lower intellects, and it destroys the drama from last second victories. Contrast such clumsy timekeeping (shame on the Swiss, who should know better) and the lack of any discernable strategy with the strategic precision of the two-minute drill in football.

Soccer is not objective, part two. The lack of offensive chances leads to ties, which, as we know, suck. Soccer's "solution?" Let's randomize the result (in those cases where a tie suddenly becomes an affront, the "World" Cup) by having penalty kicks.

Soccer participants on the same team have different jerseys. The obviously higher intelligence of hockey (goaltender) or football (offensive linemen) fans and referees is evident, since we don't need a different uniform to indicate a different privilege in the rule book.

Soccer is Third World inexpensive. Ordinarily, this would not be a problem. Most people don't consider buying hockey or football equipment expensive in civilized countries, but in the context of the rest of the world, it is expensive. On the other hand, soccer is dirt cheap - and by dirt cheap, I mean slum kids in Brazil rolling up balls of dirt to kick around.

Soccer apologists say the reason it is not popular in the US is because it wasn't invented in the US. First, soccer originated from the North American game called pasuckuakohowog several hundred years before the British played something resembling it. Second, basketball was the creation of a Canadian, yet is very popular in the US. Third, football was the creation of a Canadian, yet is very popular in the US.

Soccer apologists say the reason it is not popular in the US is because the US is not any good at that activity. The US soccer team won the World Cup in 1991 and 1999. Better find another reason.

Soccer apologists say soccer is an athletic activity. Using the Olympics as a barometer, it is pretty obvious that those countries that lack athletic prowess (Britain, France) are successful at soccer. Interesting to note, despite the inclusion of activities like soccer and walking in the Olympics (and the wrongful exclusion of football and rodeo), how those countries where soccer is not popular outperform those countries where soccer is popular athletically.

Soccer apologists steal terms from real sports. Hint: a pitch is something an option QB does. A draw is a running play designed to counter a strong pass rush. Football is a real sport that involves athletes in pads and helmets, not sissies playing kickball.

Soccer has no honor. There are codes of behavior in sports like hockey, baseball, football and basketball. There is no code of behavior in the activity of soccer: the penis biting should make this fairly obvious.

Soccer markets to Nazis - even today. Umbro markets Zyklon, a type of shoe, to soccer participants. Zyklon was the name of the gas used to kill Jews in WWII.

Soccer uses witch doctors. The same simplistic mentality that avails itself to soccer avails itself to primal mysticism.

Soccer idiots overexaggerate everything. Yeah, soccer deserves a Nobel Prize. Better load up on the security for that award presentation, because soccer deserves it less than terrorists like Arafat. Yeah, a soccer game is a wondrous event in your nation's history. Granted, these nations still have to master indoor plumbing, but please - stop the hallucinogenics, now.

Soccer fans actually set themselves on fire. That's a pretty good barometer judging the mentality of soccer fans.

Soccer cheering has no point. Football fans successfully cause opposing teams' offenses to call timeouts, use up the play clock, screw up audibles or cause procedure penalties. Ask Burt Hooton whether baseball fans affect an opponent's performance. Soccer? They sing songs - which all sound the same - regardless of outcome. It doesn't celebrate performance. It doesn't serve to intimidate. It has no purpose.

Soccer counts time up. Soccer games count the time that has elapsed, rather than the time remaining. This is stupid for a number of reasons. First, soccer games don't refer to time anyway, so why even keep it? Second, why the concern on the past? The score already reflects all important information of what has already happened in the game. In soccer, this is most likely irrelevant anyway, since the score is most likely 0-0, er, nil, nil. The focus should be on the result - which depends on the future. Thus, time should count down. Can you imagine NASA counting up (from, say, when JFK made his speech about landing on the moon in a decade)? How stupid would that be?
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Awesome post. That just about sums it up!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being / SGMAD
    Last Online

07.29.15 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dont they know its only a game???.........im a huuuuuuge sports fan......but when it comes down to it......its only a game......
    Van Halen Is: Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, David Lee Roth, Gary Cherone

They will be back.....

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VH RightNow
    dont they know its only a game???.........im a huuuuuuge sports fan......but when it comes down to it......its only a game......

I don't know...I understand the notion of "pride" within the context of having a sports team represent ones country against others, hell there exists (to an extent) the same between different states, towns and boroughs here in the U.S.

My point with the original post was not to demean soccer, only fanatasism turned ugly.

We've all seen "jingoistic" pride before...in a weird way it's a sort of fascism, when one actually takes the time to ponder the long term ramifications of the afforementioned behavior.

I've read of the racsist taunts hurled at players visiting from differing countries, and most sane folk would find it appalling.

Yet sadly, some uninformed meat-heads use the cultural differences as fodder for hatred.

Which leads me back to my original question, changed in tone because I'm kind of pissed about it: "Why in the royal fuck would anyone bring flares to the event, unless they planned to use them, no matter what the outcome?"

I cannot get my head around this one folks...maybe I'm simply not daft enough.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That's like blaming bands/artists for all idiots who commit dozens of crimes including murder while on Music Festivals. Give me a break, if you don't dig the game that's not a reason to say "it sucks". I could say the same about baseball and basketball, just because it's not popular in Europe. lol

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

Donor

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Shit stupid time limit

Nah, anyway

Edited: no offence ment towards baseball or basketball fans. I'm just really wondering why soccer is so unpopular in the States.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Mishar McLeud
    I'm just really wondering why soccer is so unpopular in the States.
    Other than the reasons above? Just kidding. If you ever got into, say, American football, you'd understand. There's nothing else like it that compares in any aspect. Excitement, competition, athletic ability, strategy, storylines, etc. Even our basketball and baseball don't compare but they still have a thrill to it that other sports don't have. That's why soccer is so far down our list.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay
    Other than the reasons above? Just kidding. If you ever got into, say, American football, you'd understand. There's nothing else like it that compares in any aspect. Excitement, competition, athletic ability, strategy, storylines, etc. Even our basketball and baseball don't compare but they still have a thrill to it that other sports don't have. That's why soccer is so far down our list.
    That's the hardest moment for me - I can't compare it to American football. I've read a few books about it, but never had an opportunity to watch the whole game from start to end. It's simply not broadcasted here.

And BTW France SUCKS in soccer !

Last Online

Realistically, is there anything France does not suck at?
    ...craig
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig
    ...craig
    They're pretty much unbeatable at sucking.

P.S. Mish-where in the UK are you?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig
    ...craig
    Blowjobs, no ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay

P.S. Mish-where in the UK are you?
    I wished I was . I'm from Lithuania, if you've ever heard of such country, lost in the EU claws right now
    Last edited by Mishar McLeud; 04.13.05 at 12:29 PM.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

That's the hardest moment for me - I can't compare it to American football. I've read a few books about it, but never had an opportunity to watch the whole game from start to end. It's simply not broadcasted here.

DUDE, France SUCKS, period.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being / SGMAD
    Last Online

07.29.15 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you have never seen an nfl football game????...........order on on e bay or somehting man......you will love it.....soccer has almost no interest in the US...pretty much because hockey baseball football and basketball are better..(imo)........our football team (New England Patriots) sells out Gillette stadium every sunday, and to get season tickets there is a 10-15 year wait.....on the other hand.....our soccer team is not even televised......they dont even open the upper levels of the stadium...and the lower half is almost empty.....
    Van Halen Is: Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, David Lee Roth, Gary Cherone

They will be back.....