Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Fender 70's Telecaster or Fender American Telecaster?!

Hey guys, need some advice.

I am left handed and have been playing guitar for about 17 years. Im about to pull the trigger on a 70's Telecaster (MIJ) or an American Telecaster.

I have played the American Tele, it's nice and I would have no problem owning one for years to come. The price is around $929.00 new on Musicians Friend:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/510594/

Lately the 70's Telecaster has caught my eye, I actually feel that MIJ Fender's are equal's in quality to there American counterparts, but come with more unique features, especially there Bass guitars. The 70's Tele is not an exception. Instead of coming with the standard Black/Red/Sunburst color's of the American's, they offer a transparent Blonde as well. The price is $699.00 at Musicians Friend:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/510594/

Im thinking of now buying the MIJ Tele for 699.00, but im curios as to what you guys think concerning vibe and quality, or anything else you could contribute. Your own personal tastes are more then welcome, thanks!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Buy a G&L ASAT and be happy forever...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:06 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

From what I understand, the only factories Fender runs are the Ensenada and Corona facilities. Anything in Korea and Japan is not from a Fender factory. I am about 95% sure.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen,1984,Fuck,
    Favorite VH Song

LUTS,ddl,Amsterdam
    Last Online

03.24.12 @ 06:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Buy a G&L ASAT and be happy forever...
    G&L will beat any fender IMO
    "I talked to the cancer. I told the f*cker the party was over" - Eddie Van Halen

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman". - Homer Simpson

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The G&L's are very nice, but it's not easy trying to find a lefty ASAT with a maple fingerboard.

Last Online

03.10.12 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2)
    From what I understand, the only factories Fender runs are the Ensenada and Corona facilities. Anything in Korea and Japan is not from a Fender factory. I am about 95% sure.

That is what I was thinking as well. I have one of the 1972 Telecaster Deluxe reissue from last year and it is made in Mexico. I have to so that it was one damn nice guitar, plays very nicely and sounds great.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by willy4pres
    The G&L's are very nice, but it's not easy trying to find a lefty ASAT with a maple fingerboard.
    Keep an eye on ebay...I'd really go that way because of the quality you know you'll be getting...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Hamer T-51. Find one. Buy it. Thank me later.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by willy4pres
    Hey guys, need some advice.

I am left handed and have been playing guitar for about 17 years. Im about to pull the trigger on a 70's Telecaster (MIJ) or an American Telecaster.
    Wow! A fellow lefty...We're few and far between it seems. Don't it suck going to all the music stores "foaming at the mouth" at all the geetars that we can't play! It's hard finding what you want. I've been fighting it for over 25 years. I know it's a tele your looking for now but, in the future check out Carvin.. they charge NO extra for lefties and they make some pretty good guitars.
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Fender's Made in Japan Guitars rule. I have 2, and my band mate has one. I rarely put it down, and it's my #1. Have had many Mexican and USA's, and prefer the Japanese ones.

It's my understanding that when the first MIJ guitars showed up in Fenderville, the builders tried to stop the importation because they couldn't make them as well at the price points the Japanese were making them.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:06 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

I just bought an '82 myself, It was a good opportunity, and the US models are the best IMO. The made in Mexico's are underrated, but I have yet to play a MIJ that blew me away enough to change my opinion.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by axebrian
    Wow! A fellow lefty...We're few and far between it seems. Don't it suck going to all the music stores "foaming at the mouth" at all the geetars that we can't play! It's hard finding what you want. I've been fighting it for over 25 years. I know it's a tele your looking for now but, in the future check out Carvin.. they charge NO extra for lefties and they make some pretty good guitars.
    Cool, yes being a lefty is a pain, didn't know what I was getting into when I was 15, now im 32 and I wish I would have learned to play right handed.

About the Carvin's, I actually own two (I think all lefties should), a 1997 SC90 Classic Sunburst and a 2003 LB75 Clear Gloss with birds eye maple fret board and body matching head stock, I love them. I actually almost pulled the trigger on a bolt, and it was going to be unique:

Bolt Plus Model
    Left Handed
    Trans White over Swamp Ash
    Only one Volume Knob in the last Tone Knob position
    Birds eye maple fretboard (black dots)
    Gold Logo (that new fancy one)
    Body Matching Head Stock
    Strap Lock's
    Cream Pickups with Black Bezels (just Hum-Hum, no single's) and no pickup rings

Priced, around $800.00

And they were going to check to see if I could ditch the normal pickup selector for a two way treble/lead type in the same general area since they were going to charge me $50 to pull the thing out of the CNC Machine line because of the one volume knob deal anyway, they would probably do that with one of there mini switches they use for active electronics.

It's still sitting in there order system waiting for me to decide, with only 10% down and not having to pay the rest until 8 weeks later when it's finished, it's tempting, even though I decided to get the:

American Made Fender Telecaster, Sunburst, maple fretboard. I have always wanted a tele, so I decided to go as bad ass as I can, and us lefties can't buy a new Tele delux like you right handed bastards can! : )

I got it for $849 plus $25.00 for shipping from Guitar Showcase in Northern California, it's a little cheaper then Musicians Friend after it's all said and done then. I actually decided to get a Rickenbacker 650 S or D after I started this thread, that is until I called every single Ric dealer they have listed on there site west of the Mississippi, and a couple in New York and Illinois. Yeah there isn't one in the United States, even one of the customer service people from Rickenbacker called around for me, some jackass in California is selling a 2001 650 D for $1400, that's about $400 over list. After that fiasco I decided to get a Tele from Guitar Showcase, they offered me the Tele for $849.00 out of the blue, as if he read's this board or something, it was strange?!

Now I have to wait for the Telecaster to arrive, don't know to much about Guitar Showcase, supposedly there one of the bigger Fender dealers on the West Coast (they sure had a lot of lefties). I just hope they keep there guitars in good shape, not like Guitar Center!

Thanks for the opinion's guys, I appreciate it!

On Fire
    Galveston Island (2 miles south of TEXAS)
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

sinners swing
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

I play teles for a living. Do yourself a favor and buy a 52 reissue USA. If it's between the jap 72 and a USA standard. Always buy the USA. It'll play better sound better and if you don't like it, it'll resale better. The jap's are made buy Samick, who makes pretty much every Jap guitar on contract to the various company's. They're decent, but the pickups suck and the fret work is very inconsistant. Be sure and play all of them in the store. I'd look on ebay for one. You can always get what you paid for something on ebay back by putting it back on ebay. I just saw a 52 reissue lefty there a couple of days ago.
    "The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit." -David Lee Roth

On Fire
    Galveston Island (2 miles south of TEXAS)
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

sinners swing
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Southpaw guitars is in Houston, I think they have a website if you google it, you'll find it. they specialize in lefty's.
    "The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit." -David Lee Roth

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by speedtruckermf
    Southpaw guitars is in Houston, I think they have a website if you google it, you'll find it. they specialize in lefty's.
    Southpaw.com is cool, but they charge more for everything and there website is completely inaccurate. If anything they take advantage of left handed players more then anyone else.

About the MIJ's, they advertise them as using US vintage pickups, my buddy has an Antigua strat that's listed as the same, and it kick's ass. The Geddy Lee bass is MIJ, and it's better then any of the US Jazz basses I have played or heard, except for the artist models. Check out Ebay for Geddy basses or any MIJ Fender guitar, there re-sale value is better then the MIA's by a long shot (except maybe the Deluxe models). A US Fender will sell for around 68% of it's original cost, unless your one of the fool's that pay top dollar for "vintage" MIA 70's and 80's strat's and Tele's, for some reason even early 90's strats are selling for more money now! Hell, if were talking re-sale a mint MIM strat on ebay sells for about the freak'n same as a new one in some places, it's crazy!

I obviously went for the MIA Telecaster because it's worth the extra cash for me, a MIA has more of a vibe in my mind, but if I just wanted a quality Telecaster I would be an idiot to pass up the MIJ 70's or 50's telecaster for a MIA standard, string saver saddles and different pickup's are not worth an extra $300.00 to most people. : )