Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The next one...
    Last Online

10.16.07 @ 10:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Met Steve Vai a couple of days ago...

This isn't really VH related, but I met Steve Vai on Saturday, April 9 and he was very cool. Had tickets to the EVO experience in Cincinnati and he sat down for over an hour and talked and answered questions with a group of thirty ticket holders. One of the coolest things is he let everyone pass around and hold "EVO". If you are not very familar with Steve, EVO is his guitar which would be the equivalent of Eddie's 5150 Kramer. It's his main guitar and has been for years. His "Green Meanie" would be the equivalent of Ed's Frankenstrat. Anyhow, passed EVO around and everyone got to hold it, inspect it and have pictures taken with it...Very Cool. Steve signed everything people brought to the meet and greet and also took pictures with everyone that wanted one.

He did talk briefly about Edward as he calls him. He said that when he was in college he was doing the tapping and hammer ons and thought he was the only one doing it...until he heard Edward and how well he was doing it. He said Edward completely reinvented the guitar and really inspired him. Very cool of him to say.

I also briefly spoke to him about seeing VH several times last year with 5 star packages and how Eddie was kind of "stand-offish" and how he was drinking so much and Steve said that Ed had really been through some tough times over the past several years. Nothing but positive comments from Steve about Eddie. Very cool and respectful.

Steve talked to the group for over an hour and then the soundcheck lasted about 45 minutes. Everyone got a guitar pick from Steve and a special signed CD. The show was awesome and everyone with EVO ticket packages was in the front row. The EVO experience was well worth the money and was about half the price of 5 star packages.

Just thought I would pass that along. Now looking forward to seeing Sammy, Mike and the Waboritas on May 6th.

Later.
    "I'm a family oriented kind of guy...I've personally started four or five this year already!!" DLR 198?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen,1984,Fuck,
    Favorite VH Song

LUTS,ddl,Amsterdam
    Last Online

03.24.12 @ 06:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds great!

Very cool of Steve to be so positive towads Ed!

"I talked to the cancer. I told the f*cker the party was over" - Eddie Van Halen

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman". - Homer Simpson

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Great story.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool story! Yeah, Steve has always been a class act. He's really a very nice guy, and was very cool when I got to meet him on the G3 03 tour. He'll take photos with you and sign anything you want.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Yep. GREAT guy! Met him in Dallas at the end of last month at the Granada theater, for FREE, even!

Met him, Billy Sheehan & Tony MacAlpine. Three of the NICEST guys I've EVER met...

I've been trying to get my pics off of my cell phone but haven't quite got it figured out yet. When I do, I'll be sure to post them.
    Last edited by sixstring; 04.11.05 at 03:05 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption
    Last Online

02.28.07 @ 09:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going to see Steve next Tuesday in Boulder, CO. After spending all that cash last year on the VH 5-star package (as cool as it was), I decided just to get the normal tix to Vai's show, but after hearing your story, I regret it. Man, I wish I had gone for the EVO package. They're all sold out now. Doh!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have met Vai a few times and I must agree, he is very kind and giving. He is a very intelligent and well spoken person and extremely patient and friendly to his fans. I'm glad to hear of his kind words about Edward. Steve is very respectful and inciteful when it comes to those things. He is correct too ... Ed has been through a lot lately and who are we to judge him. We have a right to be concerned, as we are human and have emotions. However, we all owe Eddie the respect of his privacy and can only hope for his well being that he will be ok. I think a lot of what we read about and hear about is just gossip. I'm sure there are truths to a lot of it, but if you stood back and took a look at the big picture, there are 100's of other musicians and entertainers that have worse problems and vices that Eddie. Thanks to Steve Vai for his kind words and incite.
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Nice stuff - big Vai fan here...

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Awesome! I bought an EVO Premium ticket for the show I'm going to in a few weeks.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

I am going to see Vai in 24 hours!!!! No EVO tix, but I have met him twice and he IS what everyone has said so far. Very genuine and personable with a great sense of humor. Plus, he is a great performer, musician, and he plays pretty darn good geetar.
    I am also pumped to see Eric Sardinas again...that guy really rocks on the slide like I have never seen before!
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

VH I, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake, dirty movies
    Last Online

03.06.12 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah when I saw Eric open for him in baltimore a couple weeks ago his fingers and hand were bloody as hell by the time he was done! his guitar might have blood stains on it, it seemed like it was normal for him!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dainjerus
    yeah when I saw Eric open for him in baltimore a couple weeks ago his fingers and hand were bloody as hell by the time he was done! his guitar might have blood stains on it, it seemed like it was normal for him!
    He put on a great show in Madison with Vai a few years back and I was impressed...he really gets in to the music....really intense, which is what I like in a guitarist. Eric should be a lot more popular than he is!
    By the way, this should be in Non VH Music forum.
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption
    Last Online

11.03.15 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cool article!

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.30.06 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Through out your story, all I could think of was "Man, that must have been a FORTUNE! Personal pictures, signed stuff, picks, Q&A, a personal conversation, soundcheck...then I read :

Quote Originally Posted by Boilin' Strings
    The EVO experience was well worth the money and was about half the price of 5 star packages.
    That was one hell of a deal!
    What kind of stuff do they play during the G3 tours? Like, will Vai bust out on Yankee Rose or anything like that?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Perrott
    Through out your story, all I could think of was "Man, that must have been a FORTUNE! Personal pictures, signed stuff, picks, Q&A, a personal conversation, soundcheck...then I read :

That was one hell of a deal!
    What kind of stuff do they play during the G3 tours? Like, will Vai bust out on Yankee Rose or anything like that?
    This isn't a G3 tour, it's Vai for 2 hours and Eric Sardinas opening for Vai.
    G3 is different every year as far as setlist and the opening guitarist (for the most part). BOTH are great concerts, where else can you get some of the best guitarists in 1 night and then a jam at the end?
    As far as Yankee Rose, I do not think Vai has played that solo yet...but you never know with him...he is supossed to have a new setlist this tour that is amazing and new. I'll give a review in a few days!
    Just go for it!