Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

06.24.15 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ed wraps his thumb over the top fretboard..Why?

I was noticing it..and I'm sure many of you have seen it..my theory is that hes playing a power chord and using his ring finger to complete the chord..but why not use the index instead of the thumb? it would be much easier..?
    "Well, he's an intelligent, well-read guy. But it's like he can't connect the dots somehow." (EVH Guitar World, March 1998).

GP: "Did you use a pick for "Spanish Fly"?

EVH: "Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something."

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cause its more comfortable. I know i hang mine over the top cause its easier for blues type bends and stuff.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

to many to name
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

Doesn't he just use his thumb for riffs like Hot for Teacher and Light up the sky?

Last Online

06.02.05 @ 10:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think he's talking about the Hendrix-esque thing Eddie does in "Best of Both Worlds" where there's chords on the G and B strings with the thumb supplying the root note or the pedal tone on the low E. I do that a lot too and haven't really ever thought about "WHY?" until now. Probably because it's something Hendrix used to do. Although when he did it, it was pretty much out of necessity. Hendrix would have already used 3-4 fingers on the higher strings and needed the thumb to fret the Low E.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

The only time I see Ed wrap his thumb around the fretboard is when he's playing bluesy riffs. It looks like he has more control over the neck that way. I don't know about any of this chord stuff. I've never heard about using your thumb for a chord. And Ive never heard Eddie talk about it but I don't know.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150
    The only time I see Ed wrap his thumb around the fretboard is when he's playing bluesy riffs. It looks like he has more control over the neck that way. I don't know about any of this chord stuff. I've never heard about using your thumb for a chord. And Ive never heard Eddie talk about it but I don't know.

Using your thumb for chords is very, very common in country music (and blues, too, really). Personally, I hate playing barre chords with my index finger going right across the neck. I much prefer using my thumb.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I play my open "G" with my thumb on the E string. It's just easier.

It's should be noted that Ed has huge hands too.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's what i think..his low E is tuned to E..not D# or E flat...this E combined with the A flat or G# of the 5th string creates this tritone interval..that being said when Ed dive bombs his low E it goes flat to be in key with the melody of what he's playing at the moment so why would it be tuned Eflat all ready..if it were E flat and he divebombed it would would be out of tune with rest of the guitars tuning or the melody he's playing at the time...

what does this got to with thumb?.. if the low E were tuned E and the A string tuned G#(A flat) all he would have to play is small power chord shape with the index on the sixth and ring or middle finger on the A ( just a small shape not skipping a fret frets next to each other)..But i think he brings his thumb over to fret a note on the sixth string and with his ring finer hes fretting on the 5th string to play and complete this small power chord shape...

Make sense..?
    "Well, he's an intelligent, well-read guy. But it's like he can't connect the dots somehow." (EVH Guitar World, March 1998).

EVH: "Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something."

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaboKid
    Here's what i think..his low E is tuned to E..not D# or E flat...this E combined with the A flat or G# of the 5th string creates this tritone interval..that being said when Ed dive bombs his low E it goes flat to be in key with the melody of what he's playing at the moment so why would it be tuned Eflat all ready..if it were E flat and he divebombed it would would be out of tune with rest of the guitars tuning or the melody he's playing at the time...

what does this got to with thumb?.. if the low E were tuned E and the A string tuned G#(A flat) all he would have to play is small power chord shape with the index on the sixth and ring or middle finger on the A ( just a small shape not skipping a fret frets next to each other)..But i think he brings his thumb over to fret a note on the sixth string and with his ring finer hes fretting on the 5th string to play and complete this small power chord shape...

Make sense..?

I think it mostly has to do with "whatever works".

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Make sense..?
    no

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Make sense..?

There would be no sense in tuning the low string to E and the fifth string to Ab. If Ed "dive bombs" the low E, then there is no melody...you can't just lower one string with the tremolo. All the strings would be detuned by different amounts. Try playing an open A major chord or whatever, and slightly pressing on the bar. Everything is completely out of tune.

The thumb can be used to fret the lowest string, or I suppose the fifth string if you can reach it. It is more likely that his thumb just finds its way there, though. It is easy for your thumb to naturally wrap over the top of the neck when chording in low positions.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

to me its either a result of less wrist angle desired, or huge hands..

ladies?
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Last Online

04.11.13 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

its more comfortable. i do it too, not all the time, but sometimes- when it fits.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kowski
    There would be no sense in tuning the low string to E and the fifth string to Ab.
    I thought during the Dave years he tuned his 5th string to A flat..?

I really don't what he tuned it to for Sam maybe up to A

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ed has noted that he tuned down a half step to accomodate daves pitch range.

when sammy joined his range and pitch are/was higher and more broad so he could sing in key with standard concert pitch tuning.

whether its true who knows but edward has said it interviews ....although diver down and 1984 are in standard tuning.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.