Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Default Ruined a guitar today!

I was about to complete a guitar I was building. Installing the screws for the Floyd Rose bridge. And I cracked the body! There is no finish on the guitar so it's not a finish crack. Cracked from the screw to the trem cavity and about halfway down the hole. I drilled guide holes and everything, gradually useing a larger bit. I'll never try to build another guitar. This sucks.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.19.05 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bumer.....

that does suck....what kinda wood was the body?

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Don't beat yourself up too bad. Even EVH's 5150 had a crack like that from the floyd bolt to the pickup cavity. Happens to the very best.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't feel bad and welcome to the club. I wish I had a nickel for every guitar I screwed up in the past
    Yours might still be salvagable. If you have a furniture wood clamp, to clamp the body from side to side, and a good strong wood glue, you can try to force glue into the crack as deep as possible, and then clamp it hard for a few days. Get the hardest holding wood glue you can find, even if it costs a few dollars more, but stay away from regular yellow or white wood glue like Elmer's. You need something that'll really bond hard. there are specialty glues that will do that.
    Just wipe off the excess that leaks from the crack under pressure, and then a light sanding when it's dry will bring it back to wood finish.
    It sounds like the crack is running with the grain so it might not even show if it's done right, and if it does you can always paint or even stain. I lot of times staining will diguise a crack if it's presanded properly. Stain won't stick to glue so all of it has to off around the crack.
    When you get a floyd the anchor screws are all different types depending on the manufacturer who lisenced it, and they all have a recommended drill size for their own anchor screws so that's what you have to go by. Those anchor screws exert a lot of outward pressure ( you've already figured that out though), so if you do reglue the body drill out the anchor holes just slightly larger, or find the manufacturer's recommended drill size. You didn't mention what wood you used or whether it's a nice peice of wood, but if it is it's probably worth trying to salvage, and it's a good learning experience too cause it'll show you how to take a peice you thought was ruined and possibly bring it back to a great playing instrument.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

You guys made me feel a little better... The body is swamp ash. I bought it from WD about four years ago. When I told them I was going to leave it unfinished, the guy(Doug, I think) said he went into the warehouse and knocked on a few and hand picked this body, for it's sonic qualities and grain figure. When it was a Strat, it sounded really good.

Anyway, I figured the damage was already done, now what do I do? I said to myself, "What would Ed do?". So I finished the installation. The crack is hidden under the bridge so noone will ever see it. The second screw went in, no problem. So it has a sorta happy ending. Guitar is finally playable. I can't tell it's cracked now. No lose of sustain, at least that I notice. Now I gotta figure out what to use to shim the neck and not lose any sustain.

Thanks guys, you rule!