Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

05.21.15 @ 07:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default RRHOF Response to lack of VH.

I emailed the president of the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame reguarding the question, "Why no VH?" and this is the response I got. Seemed pretty canned to me.

Thanks for your comments.

There is no doubt that rock and roll would not be what it is without the contribution of Van Halen. At the same time, you should realize that we receive literally thousands of such recommendations, many of which are as worthy as yours.

The entire nomination and induction process is coordinated by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation in New York City. The only formal criteria is that an artist has to have had their first record 25 years ago. That said, candidates are reviewed and discussed relative to their impact on this music that we broadly call rock and roll. The innovation and influence of these artists is also critical. Gold records, number one hits, and million sellers are really not appropriate centerpieces for evaluation.

The formal selection of inductees begins with an extensive panel of journalists, historians, previous inductees, industry heads, etc. In turn, those nominated are sent to a committee of more than 800 people around the world (journalists, historians, music industry management, all previous inductees, etc.) who vote. Those receiving the highest number of votes and more than 50% of the votes cast are inducted into the Hall. Usually, this means five to seven new members each year. So you can see the road to being inducted is an arduous one and for the most part, removed from the realm of influences or politics.

On top of this, people sometimes forget that rock and roll and its artists are viewed in an incredibly subjective manner by any individual brought into the circle of discussion. As such, there is often widespread disagreement or fracturing of opinion about who is or was important. From my perspective, time will tell. I really think that all deserving candidates will have their moment eventually. Unfortunately, it often isnít the time frame they or their fans desire. Remember too, many of the sports greats do not get into their respective Halls of Fame right away either.

Peace & Soul,

Rock & Roll!

Terry Stewart

President

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

The only thing that guy typed in that response was : Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by DauhHalen
    That said, candidates are reviewed and discussed relative to their impact on this music that we broadly call rock and roll. The innovation and influence of these artists is also critical.
    Terry Stewart

President

If that is truely the case , How can VH not be a first ballot inductee ?
    The bottom line is , Terry Stewart and his friends only induct who they want to , who will perform , and who they can make the most money off of !
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw
    Yep.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, ďTokyo Dome In Concert,Ē is available for purchase, and itís super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

How true...We should get a scale and weigh in that pile of shit response.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

That was an obvious form letter. What a surprise.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    That was an obvious form letter. What a surprise.
    Yup, and the only two original words are "Van Halen."

We need some rabid VH fans on that HOF board.

At least they replied...
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

This was their response to my letter!!!

There is no doubt that rock and roll would not be what it is without the contribution of Ashlee Simpson. At the same time, you should realize that we receive literally thousands of such recommendations, many of which are as worthy as yours.

The entire nomination and induction process is coordinated by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation in New York City. The only formal criteria is that an artist has to have had their first record 25 years ago. That said, candidates are reviewed and discussed relative to their impact on this music that we broadly call rock and roll. The innovation and influence of these artists is also critical. Gold records, number one hits, and million sellers are really not appropriate centerpieces for evaluation.

The formal selection of inductees begins with an extensive panel of journalists, historians, previous inductees, industry heads, etc. In turn, those nominated are sent to a committee of more than 800 people around the world (journalists, historians, music industry management, all previous inductees, etc.) who vote. Those receiving the highest number of votes and more than 50% of the votes cast are inducted into the Hall. Usually, this means five to seven new members each year. So you can see the road to being inducted is an arduous one and for the most part, removed from the realm of influences or politics.

On top of this, people sometimes forget that rock and roll and its artists are viewed in an incredibly subjective manner by any individual brought into the circle of discussion. As such, there is often widespread disagreement or fracturing of opinion about who is or was important. From my perspective, time will tell. I really think that all deserving candidates will have their moment eventually. Unfortunately, it often isnít the time frame they or their fans desire. Remember too, many of the sports greats do not get into their respective Halls of Fame right away either.

Peace & Soul,

Rock & Roll!

Terry Stewart

President

Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, ďTokyo Dome In Concert,Ē is available for purchase, and itís super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay

There is no doubt that rock and roll would not be what it is without the contribution of Ashlee Simpson. At the same time, you should realize that we receive literally thousands of such recommendations, many of which are as worthy as yours.

Peace & Soul,

Rock & Roll!

Terry Stewart

President

LOL...That was good.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I'm sure he didn't even type that. It was a form email, and some guy in India probably typed in Van Halen and sent it out.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay

There is no doubt that rock and roll would not be what it is without the contribution of Ashlee Simpson.
    That is just vomitous. How about if we suggest Harrison Ford? Someone who has had NOTHING to do with music. We'd probably get the same response! "There is no doubt that rock and roll would not be what it is without the contribution of Harrison Ford." No, no doubt at all. WHAT A CROCK!

Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

did someone say there is a forum there?
    am i lazy, blind or other?
    if so, can u post a link?
    i will single -handedly mount an assault of epic proportions on those fuckers..!!

anyone ever hear of the DLR army?

wait til they get a load of " Perticelli's Power Brigade for the Travesty of Oversight in Relation to Van Halen and the RRHOF"!!

any volunteers?
    If not, that's fine, i'll morph into a termite and start eating away at them from the inside!
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Last Online

06.12.07 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Thanks for your comments.

There is no doubt that rock and roll would not be what it is without the contribution of ----- insert band name here----- . At the same time, you should realize that we receive literally thousands of such recommendations....."

Van Halen meets all criteria in that piece of shit form letter yet they send it out like the ding-dongs they are...
    Talkin Some New Kicks

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

Someone could say Van Halen sucks, but they can't say they aren't innovative and influential. Hells bells, every rock guitarist and front man for ten years copied or borrowed from Ed and Dave. What dumbasses.

The fact that VH probably wouldn't perform is probably the main reason if I had to guess for them not being in.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Currently: 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Panama
    Last Online

05.30.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

My response letter looks exactly the same:

There is no doubt that rock and roll would not be what it is without the contribution of Spinal Tap. At the same time, you should realize that we receive literally thousands of such recommendations, many of which are as worthy as yours.

Peace & Soul,

Rock & Roll!

Terry Stewart

President

Thunder Mountain Brewing Company
    Owner and Brewmaster

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Bastard Stout (9.5% ABV)
    Bottled: 2011 Thunder Mountain Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
    Fermenting: 2011 Thunder Mountain Irrish Ale (4.9% ABV)

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool." -Eddie Van Halen, 1996