Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Gene Simmons' cartoon on Nickelodeon

When I heard this on the radio today, I was hoping it was an April Fool's story...

Is Gene Simmons the next SpongeBob?
    KISS star is inspired dad on animated children's show

By David E. Williams
    CNN Friday, March 25, 2005 Posted: 7:53 AM EST (1253 GMT)

(CNN) -- Gene Simmons, the fire-breathing, blood-spitting KISS star, just might be the next SpongeBob, thanks to his latest project: "My Dad the Rock Star."

The show recently started airing in the United States on the cable channel Nickelodeon, alongside animated favorites like "Jimmy Neutron," "Rugrats" and "The Fairly Oddparents."

It's a typical tale of pre-teen rebellion, complete with green hair, tattoos and screams of "turn that music down." Only in this case, dad's the rebel and his son is the one seeking a quiet, normal life.

Simmons, the cartoon's creator and executive producer, said the idea sprang out of a conversation about career day at his son, Nick's, school.

"So you had people coming in with scissors, you know, 'my mom's a hair stylist,' or a toothbrush, 'my dad's a dentist,' and my son came in with a poster of me spewing blood and spitting fire," Simmons said.

That got him thinking about how kids just want to fit in, and led to a deal with Canadian entertainment company Nelvana.

"There are enough social problems with kids trying to find out who they are and so on without having to depend on mom or dad to define who they are," he said.

The show follows Willy Zilla, a 12-year-old who has just moved to a sleepy suburb and is going to school for the first time after years on the road with his dad, rock mega-star Rock Zilla.

Willy doesn't want people to like him for his famous family, so he uses a fake name at school -- a plan that was destined to fail. He quickly attracts the attention of the school bully, but he does make a couple of friends in the process.

His family is pretty normal in a lot of ways -- he's got a loving mother and father and an older sister, Serenity, who insults him when she admits he exists at all.

But unlike most parents, Rock Zilla punctuates his parental advice with guitar solos and shouts of "Ahhh-oooooo!" and mom speaks in New Age cliches, and "of course nobody knows what the hell she's talking about," Simmons said.

Most families don't have a giant, purple-and-green-striped Komodo dragon and a British roadie puttering around the house, either.

Rock Zilla may resemble Simmons' on-stage persona, but he said the show isn't all autobiographical.

"I tossed some story ideas around, and one was that somebody tried to break into my home and steal some of the gold records, and I did notice that that wound up in one of the stories," he said.

Another episode centers around Willy's mom's decision to open a New Age center across the street from school.

"Well that's not a good idea, but that was close to reality, because my kids' real mom, Shannon Tweed ... was a former Playmate," Simmons said. "It's tough for a very young child to explain to the other school kids 'yeah, mom was on the cover of Playboy and dad's this wacky rock star who has a talking codpiece and spits fire.' "

"My Dad the Rock Star," has a choice time slot on Nickelodeon, airing after "SpongeBob SquarePants," which is one of the most popular shows on cable television. It was already an international success, airing in several languages in Asia, Central and South America, Africa, Australia and Europe (the Dutch version features the voice of real-life rock star Barry Hay from Golden Earring).

"Nick had a been a fan of the show, some of the people there, and we found the right timing, and it's been really, really a big success out the door, and we think it's going to continue," said Martha Van Gelder, a senior vice president at Nelvana.

Simmons describes himself as "very cornball" and said he drew inspiration from some of his childhood favorites, such as Superman, the Mickey Mouse Club, comic books and Disney cartoons -- "that was the subatomic nuclear particles that make up who I am."

"Looney Tunes are still classic. Roadrunner still works, Bugs still works, and Disney will work forever," Simmons said. "Good stuff is good stuff whether it's done for kids or for grown-ups."

The show is just one of the projects Simmons has on his plate. He's also working on two reality shows, three other television shows, a boxing venture with ESPN, a multimillion-dollar movie production deal, and a plan to build 3,000 condominiums and an arena for the Beijing Olympics.

"We should all do lots of stuff before we die, that's my philosophy."

His KISS fame has given him an opportunity to pitch his ideas to people who might not have listened otherwise, he said. But he's careful to keep his on-stage and off-stage roles separate.

"When I'm in KISS and I have the makeup on, that's what I talk about," he said. "When I'm off-stage, I try not to mix metaphors or apples and pears, it works better that way.

"When you look at Clark Kent when he's working at the Daily Planet," Simmons said, "he's a reporter. He doesn't fly through the air in his glasses and his suit."

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i hear eds lawyers calling about that guitar.

Favorite VH Album

VH1,Balance,FW,and VH3
    Favorite VH Song

Panama,without you and IAT
    Last Online

05.17.11 @ 11:41 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

boy kiss has really gone down hill.......get ace and peter back please!!!!
    Rock on MotherFucker!!!!!!
    Official VH Links Van Halen 3 fan

Bands I Have Seen Live:
    Van Halen The Smashup
    Twisted Sister Sanctity
    Loverboy Into Eternity
    WASP 2X Overkill
    LA Guns Arch Eenemy
    Stephen Percy Opeth
    Collective Soul Lamb Of God
    Motley Crue 3x Megadeth
    Queensryche 2x Aerosmith
    Amon Amarth Angels & Airwaves
    Trivium
    Children Of Bodom
    Still Remains
    Suffocation
    It Dies Today
    Poison The Well
    Shadows Fall

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh, God. Gene found yet another way to make a buck.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

My kid watches this show...and now he's doing the screams from the "Dad"...waaahhhoooooooo!!!!
    But man, IT DOES SUCK!! Watch it now, while you have the chance!
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K, Fair Warning,. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

all of 'em
    Last Online

06.16.08 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitar08man
    i hear eds lawyers calling about that guitar.
    I think Ed's gonna have a heart attack from thinking about all of the money he'll win when he sees that.
    "For the words of the profits, are written on the studio wall, concert hall - echoes with the sounds...of salesmen."

"Measure your coffin does it measure up to your lust?"

Last Online

08.11.17 @ 05:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Maybe we could get the Roadrunner to drop an anvil on his head.

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

That cartoon is horrible. It's unwatchable.

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Lem Motlow
    Maybe we could get the Roadrunner to drop an anvil on his head.
    Outstanding idea. Gene Simmons is one creepy MF. My kids will NOT be allowed to watch that garbage.

Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007