Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

06.04.06 @ 12:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Strings, springs, cleaning the neck

Hi All!
    My new (used) Wolfgang std (trem) arrived today. It's in great shape, but I still want to pull the strings off to clean the neck.

1 - What is the recommended procedure to removing all strings to clean the neck? I know everyone says to change strings no more than 3 at a time, so how does everyone give their neck a good cleaning?

2 - How do these strings attach to the floyd? I haven't undone anything yet, so maybe it becomes obvious then. I assumed they were like a strat, but I guess not. Sorry for my ignorance if this is a stupid question. Do I need to undo the screws?

3 - Murphy's oil soap - I've read several recommendations on using this...where can I buy it from?

4 - Re-oiling the neck...I've read that re-oiling the neck will make it a little darker each time you do it. Is there a recommended oil that will minimize this darkening, and where can I get it?

5 - Final question - how many springs do most people use on wolfgangs? 2 or 3?

Thanks - MJ

10.24.16 @ 01:47 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

It's generally not recommended to remove all the strings on a floating Floyd Rose. However, the Wolfgang's tremolo is blocked from pulling up, so you could remove all the strings if you want.

There are blocks that clamp each string on the Floyd, and the strings are loaded into the top of the unit, as opposed to the Strat-type bridge. The six hex screws coming out from under the fine tuners are used to tighten or loosen the blocks.

I have seen Murphy's Oil Soap at all the hardware stores and grocery stores around here, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

01.05.12 @ 11:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I personally am not convinced that changing all the strings will cause a problem. I just change one at a time and stretch them very well before taking off and putting on the next string and have never had a problem.

I use lemon oil to help clean the neck but sparingly as I have been told it may loosen the frets.

There all good!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

05.23.12 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dunlop 65 guitar polish and cleaner! I use it for everything, the body, neck, headstock, tuner's, u name it! It comes with a really soft polish cloth for about $15.00, I think. As for the floyd rose, I don't have a wolfgang, but I own 2 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis's and I've found out the hard way that you have to "block" the floyd if you want to remove all the strings. When I say "block", I simply mean you have to put somthing flat under the floyd, back by the fine tuners, so it does'nt "spring back" on you. I love maple fingerboards, but there a bitch to keep clean. About every 3 months I change the strings, and just do a complete tune up on it. I hope that wasn't to complicated? I'd be more than happy to send you a few pic's of how to do it, if you want!

P.S.: I forgot to tell you, I use an old fender strat tremlo back plate cover that I slide under the floyd to keep it from going anywhere. Then I can remove all my strings, and start cleaning everything. It's also nice because the back plate cover is plastic and does'nt dig into the finish of the guitar.
    Last edited by patvh1; 04.04.05 at 05:09 PM.
    "I endorsed the guitar I used to play, I designed this one.....Big Difference!" EVH