Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Racist Or Stupid Choice Of Words? (Guitar World)

I'm thumbing through the Guitar World "Legends" issue dedicated to Ozzy Osbourne and there's a nice article on Randy Rhoads. Then about halfway into the article I read this, which I'll quote :

"For the most part, he broke with rock's long tradition of sponatiously improvised solos,a custom that stemmed from African-American musical forms like jazz and blues. Instead, Rhoads brought the rock guitar solo closer to the spirit of the classical cadenze - a set piece specifically designed to showcase technical virtuosity.
    Rhoads frequently shunned blue-based, African-American - derived pentatonics in favor of classical scales and modes. ..such as the natural minor (Aeolian) intervals heard in his solos for "Crazy Train" and "Believer".

[ skipping two sentences]

Progressive rock bands such as Yes, Gentle Giant, Focus and Emerson, Lake and Palmer had also previously popularized the use of European classical modes and virtuosity in rock music. But Rhoades appropriation of these elements is completely devoid or prog-rock's "High Brow", Euro leanings. Instead, while astoundingly precise and harmonically astute, his playing is unmistakenly Caucasian - American - and 100 percent heavy metal.

Okay, so I'm I missing something? What the fuck is this guy's malfunction? Every guiatr player of the age of seven knows that blues came out of the southern African American experience. Everybody should be able to figure out that classical music is rooted in 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th century Europe and hence -Whitey. Why didn't the author just say "The blues" without the racial refference? Worse, what the fuck do the editors do a Guitar World all day?

I'm sure that the author doesn't have a white hood or anything but he should do a better job of thinking before he presses the "Save" botton.

And you guys all know that I'm the least politically correct person on this board.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It read to me like he was just trying to offer a more historical perspective on Rhoads' style...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

02.06.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think the the writer is trying to akwardly drive home the point that Randy was more influenced by classical music than blues.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Don't read too much in to it, but you must listen to Randy's music!
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Well, you know I feel it was unnecessary!

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

I don't get what one point has to do with the other. He could have made his point without even mentioning afro-american blues/jazz players. I take no offense to anything he wrote there, just feel he took it in a direction he didn't have to go into.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I think your looking for a problem that isn't there.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    I don't get what one point has to do with the other. He could have made his point without even mentioning afro-american blues/jazz players. I take no offense to anything he wrote there, just feel he took it in a direction he didn't have to go into.
    That's exactly what I think. I don't see music in terms of ethinic tones, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder and Jimi Hendix are all brilliant. Mozart is German while Rossini was Italian and their ethnic backrounds don't make a lick of difference as to the quality of their music either. I just spent a week in the library reviewing microfilm of newpapers from 1945 and the low-grade bigotry that I found in print just grated on me like chewing tinfoil. "Negro-Suprano To Sing At Fort Ord" was one headline, along with a photo of a very attractive woman. It was the way things were 60 years ago but it's jarring to read today, not to mention the war coverage about "Japs" and "Nips" taking their lumps in the Pacific.

I don't think the guy's racist but if I caught this, and I'm kinda slow, then there are a bunch of knee-jerk reactionaries burining up their keyboards firing of all kinds of nasty letters. It's an article about Randy Rhoads, for crying out loud, his fans tend to be smarter than the average bear. They certainly ALREADY know that blues and jazz have their roots in African-American culture. They also know classical music is a white thang and they might even be aware that Randy was rumored to be white as well. They know all this but if you ask them, they will say that the only thing that mattered was Randy's playing and if he had been a blue-based guitarist he would have been a kick-ass, blue-based guitarist.

The African-American and Caucasian-American stuff is just not needed.

Plus, it's not entirely true about Randy's playing, he often went to the blues-well to get out of a tight spot. One of many things that made him great.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I dont see the racial stuff, but when I think of Randy I like him, he was great but I think Eddie had way better tone Randys tone just sounded like my old elephant amp I had when I was 12 (think gorrilla) off subject ? sorry!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I could say the writer didn't mean anything by it, but I have no idea what his racial worldview is. But I agree that the African-American/Caucasian-American references were unnecessary for the point he was trying to make.

Blues, jazz and gospel all started in a field somewhere, and neither the music nor the experiences that spawned them are exclusive to any one race.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Personally I don't see any problem here. I think we are making a mountain out of a mole-hill. So he used African/Caucasian-American reference to describe something he thinks is true. Doesn't bother me any...
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle