Register
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Too many
    Last Online

11.22.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Default Josh Zee of Protein. Any of you heard him on Guitar?

I got to see the band PROTEIN open for King's X on the I believe the tape head tour.(might have been bulbous) I was blown away. The did 2 records. Ever since I was kid & Songs about cowgirls. The guitarist Josh Zee is one of the best guitarist I have heard in a lonnnggg time. Smoking band. Hard rock/pop/country flavored. His guitar tone is so fuckin sick. Anyone heard of them? They broke up in 2000 i believe and now he's with a band called the mother truckers. Check them out. Just giving this guy props today cause i'm stuck in the cubical and i'm listening to Protein on the iPod. sick sick sick guitarist I tell you.

Somebody holla.

g

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.15.05 @ 09:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I stumbled onto this thread while searching in google for info on Protein cause I heard they were getting back together. Josh says that is false. But he does have a new rock band called Dealers of Dynamite. www.dealersofdynamite.com

Saw Protein in concert back in 1999 when they opened for Kings X. I pretty much picked up Songs About Cowgirls the next day. I can't believe how unknown Josh is. I don't hear too many guitarists nowadays that manage to play with such a sense of melody and attitude. He has amazing chops but he doesn't abuse them. He lets them go ass wild at all the right moments.

For those who want references: listen to Protein's "Drinking Song," "Going to L.A." or "Transition." Another good example is "My Blood Part 2" by The Mother Truckers. Holy shit this guy can wail......

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Too many
    Last Online

11.22.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Hey Nakedprey!!! Thanks so much for responding..I put this up awhile ago and no one ever respinded ...i was like man...i can't believe no ones hard this guy....he is so sick on guitar.......yeah I read also that they were going to get proten bac together....do you know whay they broke up in the first place? I was so bummed when I hard they split up....anyhow..write back....lets talk proteion or josh zee for that matter...this guy is too good to be un known......holla

g

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.15.05 @ 09:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I remember reading, Protein called it quits because of the musical climate at the time. Despite some modest success overseas and some spots on the Warped tour, their records weren't getting played. Josh and co. seemed discouraged by the fact that guitar solos seemed pretty much blackballed from radio and everything was nu metal. But he's bringing the rock back with Dealers of Dynamite. Hopefully they'll have the chemistry that Protein had. That was one tight little unit. I don't usually like to watch opening bands. But when I saw them in Houston, I was pretty well reeled in. Josh's "Intermission" solo closed the deal as far as my interest. I am surprised they couldn't get a hit single off of Songs About Cowgirls.