Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

06.04.06 @ 01:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Anyone here like Flamenco?

Hi - I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic, but it is a guitar style.

Anyone else here like flamenco and other acoustic guitar music? I'm really not much into accompanying vocals - just the guitar music. Someone on here (I think) posted about Monte Montgomery not too long ago - man talk about some nice playing. Listening to him over the weekend has really got me wanting to pick up my acoustic more...

I've really wanted to get into learning flamenco for some time now, but have no idea where to start. I guess I'll have to buy a classical acoustic now too...damn - another guitar to add to the collection!

So can anyone tell me how I can learn more about this type of guitar playing, and tips for how to begin?

Thanks!

MJ

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

06.24.15 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Flamenco was the first style I learned..

well at least tried to learn...i got to of the first forms called the compas..these are complex flamenco guitar rhythms or forms. The one I learned was called Soleares very complex because you have get your fingers to fan out across the strings called rasguido. And eventually I got it. I'm by no means an expert i know two flamenco forms and there are literally hundreds of these rhythms..I would recomend getting a book by a master named Juan Martin.. I learned from his first volume...And you can learn on a classical guitar you really don't need a flamenco instrument..they differ by the kind of wood they are made of..

If you listen to Spanish Fly by Van Halen..Ed said in an interview he was inspired by the late great Flamenco master Carlos Montoya
    "Well, he's an intelligent, well-read guy. But it's like he can't connect the dots somehow." (EVH Guitar World, March 1998).

GP: "Did you use a pick for "Spanish Fly"?

EVH: "Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something."

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jax951
    Anyone else here like flamenco and other acoustic guitar music?
    I like it! I haven't yet attempted to play any flamenco guitar, but I have some old Carlos Montoya cassettes I like.

Last Online

06.04.06 @ 01:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Thanks for the tips!

Thanks for the tips - I'm going to have to look those guys up...