Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.07.13 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Fret life? Help please.

On average, how long does a standard nickel fret live? And just curious, where do you notice the most wear first? What are the symptoms?

And on that note, how many of you have had your wolfgangs refretted? And by whom? Will Peavey do it? What is the charge, including shipping?

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Fret life depends on how much you play, how hard you play, and what gauge of strings you are using. I would say on average, fret wear is most noticeable in frets 1-5, where a lot of chording is done. Check the 12th fret too, and upper register if you do a lot of soloing up there.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it's obviously affecting your intonation. You can usually have these frets redressed and carry on with out a fret job. However, when that time comes, you might look into stainless steel frets--they seem a little bit more dense, IMO.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Stainless steel strings absolutely EAT frets and sound sizzly. Stainless steel frets are VERY tinny sounding.

Go with nickel the whole way.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl
    Stainless steel strings absolutely EAT frets and sound sizzly. Stainless steel frets are VERY tinny sounding.

Go with nickel the whole way.
    No frets are pure nickel. There's always a mix of nickel and steel.
    On one of my EVH's I wore my first set of frets right down to the wood using pure nickel strings. On my refret I used a fret with a higher steel ratio and they lasted much longer.
    All strings, unless they say " pure Nickel ", not nickel wrap, have a steel coating, and do not EAT frets, or for that matter wear them down appreciably faster than nickel.
    That includes pretty much every string on the market. All that's coming in contact with your fret is pure steel.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy pure steel frets, but I've played them and they're not tinny sounding at all.
    That seems to be one of those " I heard that he said" rumours.
    I found them to have a bit more top end, but other than that they played fast and sounded fine. If i was to pick up a neck for one of my guitars and it had pure steel frets I'd have no problem purchasing the neck.
    The frets I use now have a high concentration of steel in them anyway.

Flet, there is no average. I know guys who need a complete refret every 6 months and others like myself that can go almost 2 years. I've also got friends who play regularly and don't need a refret even after 6 years. It doesn't even matter how much you play. It's the way you play and the pressure you use.
    If you don't know how to dress your frets then look for a local music store that can dress them for you or have someone do it. The average price for a fret dressing is about 75.
    Wolf frets use 6105 wire, and it's got a higher ration of steel than the original EBMM frets, so all you probably need is a dressing.
    They'll wear in the area you play the most. You'll notice a buzzing when you play in certain spots on the neck, and no buzzing in others. That's a sign of fret wear, but a lot of guys ignore it and just keep playing until it's time for a refret.