Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Am I the only one.....

…..who thinks that are sympathies in this country are somehow misplaced?

I know I might be flamed by many people, but I just have to speak my mind about this. I see people getting so upset about Terri Schiavo, and while it is a tragedy, it is not the big issue it’s being made out. It is a private family matter.

Where is all this outcry and excitement for the troops in Iraq who are being killed? Healthy troops who have a very good “quality of life”. I am not trying to make a case for or against the war…what is done is done, but why is it not being made into a big deal? What about all the troops there who think this war was begun out of turn? Where is the outcry for them and their families?

Maybe I am just pissed and need to calm down, but I think a lot of the people who are in an uproar about Schiavo probably support Bush and his war, so that makes the troops death’s okay.

WTF?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BradS

I know I might be flamed by many people, but I just have to speak my mind about this. I see people getting so upset about Terri Schiavo, and while it is a tragedy, it is not the big issue it’s being made out. It is a private family matter.
    families?

Where is all this outcry and excitement for the troops in Iraq who are being killed? Healthy troops who have a very good “quality of life”. I am not trying to make a case for or against the war…what is done is done, but why is it not being made into a big deal? What about all the troops there who think this war was begun out of turn? Where is the outcry for them and their
    Maybe I am just pissed and need to calm down, but I think a lot of the people who are in an uproar about Schiavo probably support Bush and his war, so that makes the troops death’s okay.

WTF?
    I totally agree with you Brad!! This county's priorities are definitley in the wrong areas. Yes, this whole Schiavo situation is terrible but, as you said, it's a private family matter and should be dealt with privatley. We, as a country, really have other matters that need attention...especially the war in Iraq....as far as I'm concerned the our soldiers there deserve our 100 % attention....so I agree with you bro....I feel for that poor girl but we need to put our concetration elsewhere....enough already!!!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think you're simplifying things way, way too much. There's no need to be consistent on one aspect of many issues, particularly when that one aspect is so overly-broad yet somehow unquantifiable--life.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Where is all this outcry and excitement for the troops in Iraq who are being killed? Healthy troops who have a very good “quality of life”. I am not trying to make a case for or against the war…what is done is done, but why is it not being made into a big deal? What about all the troops there who think this war was begun out of turn? Where is the outcry for them and their families?

WTF?

Yeah , I'm pissed too !
    Everyone's complaining about the loss of 1500 troops ? Where in hell were you people when we lost that many in the first 5 minutes on the beaches of Normandy ?

I swear if you bleeding-hearts were alive back then , we'd all be speaking fucking German !
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Lodewijk
    Yeah , I'm pissed too !
    Everyone's complaining about the loss of 1500 troops ? Where in hell were you people when we lost that many in the first 5 minutes on the beaches of Normandy ?

I swear if you bleeding-hearts were alive back then , we'd all be speaking fucking German !
    It never fails to amaze me how we consistently fail to teach history in this country. People get facts (often incorrect ones) and only the loosest of correlations between events. Maybe that's why people like Lodewijk can't draw the proper parallels.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    I think you're simplifying things way, way too much. There's no need to be consistent on one aspect of many issues, particularly when that one aspect is so overly-broad yet somehow unquantifiable--life.
    Mike, I disagree. I am trying to point out how people in this country are taking a situation like Schiavo’s and running with it, but seem to hold no disdain for our troops situation.

It is not a stretch at all. I can just see some solider over in Iraq reading about the Schiavo case and thinking, “Gosh, that’s terrible, but what about all my buddies over here who have died for this bullshit---where is our support?”

Simplifying? I don’t think so.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Yeah , I'm pissed too !

You’re being irrational. Our country supported the hell out of our troops during WWII. That was a proper war with a lot of support. You’re comparing apples to oranges.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Mike, I disagree. I am trying to point out how people in this country are taking a situation like Schiavo’s and running with it, but seem to hold no disdain for our troops situation.
    Such is the lifecycle of news and our attention span. The major fighting is over, and the troops there are basically on occupation duty. What do you expect? The war and the troops got incredible press coverage. To expect that to continue perpetually ignores the competitive nature of the news business. War protesters and supports get tired, too.

I think you're looking for an issue where none exists. When the troops start to become overly conscious of the media coverage back home, along with feeling that they're just not getting enough of it, things may change. I don't think that'll happen.

I haven't heard too many soldiers complain about the lack of moral support. They've got bigger, more substantial complaints than that--just like soldiers in any war.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

You’re being irrational. Our country supported the hell out of our troops during WWII. That was a proper war with a lot of support. You’re comparing apples to oranges.

That's kinda my point , It seems to me that because Viet Nam was such a cluster-fuck , we'll never be behind ANY conflict , right or wrong , again ! No matter the circumstances , we'll always be divided as a country when it comes to war ! And there's just as many irrational people that believe that war is NEVER the answer . History tells us otherwise .
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

If either of you can identify a real lack of support for our troops, please do give a good example of it. With the exception of some unsubstantial fringe groups, most everyone supports the troops. Even those vehemently opposed to the war support the troops themselves.

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Were really talking about what the media has decided we should really be talking about

The War is like, so 15 minutes ago. Does that make it less important? No.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

If either of you can identify a real lack of support for our troops, please do give a good example of it. With the exception of some unsubstantial fringe groups, most everyone supports the troops. Even those vehemently opposed to the war support the troops themselves.

Mike , I'm not talking about support for the troops , I'm talking about support for the war . Why do I have to be OUTRAGED at the loss of a soldier ? I happen to support what we're trying to do over there , and if it takes a war to get it done than so be it ! It saddens me with the loss of life , any life , but no more so than those that gave their lives in WW1, WW2 , Korea , or Nam .
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

That's kinda my point , It seems to me that because Viet Nam was such a cluster-fuck , we'll never be behind ANY conflict , right or wrong , again ! No matter the circumstances , we'll always be divided as a country when it comes to war ! And there's just as many irrational people that believe that war is NEVER the answer . History tells us otherwise .
    Have you forgotten about the isolationist movements and the political power they wielded in the US around each world war? You're imagining that an anti-war sentiment hasn't always been part of the process for us.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:07 AM
    Liked 541 Times in 322 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't know, I don't recall many people (there are always some on the lunatic fringe) against the first Iraq war. I also don't believe there are all that many who are or were against our invasion of Afghanistan. The big difference is in both of those cases, there was significant and obvious provocation in the form of an attack on either the US or our interests.

This current Iraq war is one where we are the clear aggressor, and is certainly fodder for protest and second guessing. Although I am not nor have ever been a soldier, much less one in war, I think that Americans have done a great job separating their distaste for Bush and "his" war from their support of the troops themselves. I think the support has been phenomenal, including the Super Bowl commercial in the airport. It's a fine line between supporting troops while disagreeing with their involvement, but I think that it's been put out there so much that we've done a damn good job. IMO, obviously.

Also, as an FYI, there was substantial opposition to our entry into WWII until Pearl Harbor. Hence the many conspiracy theories around that attack.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

It’s not the support of our troops that I am talking about. It is the outcry for their well being, and how it is not nearly as showcased or ballooned like this Schiavo case.