Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default SS veterans spark war of words

SS veterans spark war of words

Thursday, March 17, 2005 Posted: 5:49 AM EST (1049 GMT)

long.detain.ap.jpg
    Two Latvian policemen detain a young man, who protested against a procession of SS veterans.

RIGA, Latvia (AP) -- Hundreds of Latvian and Russian-speaking demonstrators squared off in a war of words and patriotic songs Wednesday as Latvian veterans of a German Waffen SS unit that fought against the Red Army marked the memory of their fallen comrades.

Nearly 100 aging Waffen SS veterans and their wives, flanked by a heavy police presence that included horse-mounted police and canine units, made their annual procession through the streets of Riga's old city to lay flowers at the Freedom Monument on Wednesday, a rite that is criticized in the country and abroad annually.

Many of the veterans are in their eighties and their numbers have steadily decreased each year, but the resentment lingers.

Tamara, a 65-year-old Riga woman who would not give her last name, said she was wearing a yellow star of David on her coat because the said the Legionnaires and their supporters were fascists, a charge commonly made by Moscow.

"They killed Jewish people as well as many others. Virtually every family lost one or two people in the war, primarily to the fascists," she said.

Soviet forces occupied the Baltic states in June 1940 but were driven out by the Germans a year later. The Red Army retook the Baltics in 1944, and reincorporated them into the Soviet Union.

About 250,000 Latvians ended up fighting alongside either the Germans or the Soviets -- and about 150,000 Latvians died in the fighting.

Nearly 80,000 Jews in Latvia, 90 percent of the prewar Jewish population, were killed during the Nazi occupation. Thousands of Russian prisoners of war also died in Nazi prisoner of war camps.

Most Latvian Jews were killed in 1941-42, two years before the formation of Latvia's Waffen SS -- which some Latvians claim shows the unit could not have played a role in the Holocaust. But an unknown number of Latvian Waffen SS soldiers may have been involved in the murder of Jews as auxiliary police -- years before they entered the front-line unit.
    Patriotic songs

A second procession led by Latvian nationalist group, Klubs 415, drew the ire of a Russian group, Rodina, or "Homeland."

The second procession of about 200 people was met by nearly 100 angry Rodina supporters, many of whom were sporting yellow stars of David on their coats or black and white-striped prison uniforms. Several hundred onlookers were also there.

Police expected the confrontation and had more than 100 officers on duty, including some with dogs or on horseback. Twenty people were detained.

The two groups shouted nationalist sentiments and sang patriotic songs at each other over a thick wall of police officers.

Nearly one-third of the country's 2.3 million residents are native Russian-speakers, many left over from the five decade-long Soviet occupation that lasted until 1991.

Relations between Latvia and Russia have been chilly since Latvia regained its independence, largely because Russia has claimed that ethnic Russians in Latvia are mistreated. About half of Latvia's native Russian speakers are considered "non-citizens" and cannot vote or seek public office.

Despite their differences, threats of violent clashes between ethnic Latvians and Russians since 1991 have never come to pass and they coexist peacefully, frequenting the same shops and restaurants and living in the same neighborhoods and apartment buildings.

Aigars Dabolins, 40, an ethnic Latvian who took part in the Klubs 415 procession, said he did so to honor his grandfather, who fought in the Waffen SS unit and was later sent to the Gulag by the Soviet government.

"I'm a patriot," he said. "Russians are not all the same, just as Latvians aren't. These are just Bolsheviks looking for a confrontation."

------------------------------------

And Latvia is my top neighbour. Funny how SS veterans are cheered, and those who opposed them were put in prison

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mishar McLeud
    SS veterans spark war of words

[i]Thursday, March 17, 2005 Posted: 5:49 AM EST (1049 GMT)

Tamara, a 65-year-old Riga woman who would not give her last name, said she was wearing a yellow star of David on her coat because the said the Legionnaires and their supporters were fascists, a charge commonly made by Moscow.

"They killed Jewish people as well as many others. Virtually every family lost one or two people in the war, primarily to the fascists," she said.

Soviet forces occupied the Baltic states in June 1940 but were driven out by the Germans a year later. The Red Army retook the Baltics in 1944, and reincorporated them into the Soviet Union.

About 250,000 Latvians ended up fighting alongside either the Germans or the Soviets -- and about 150,000 Latvians died in the fighting.

Nearly 80,000 Jews in Latvia, 90 percent of the prewar Jewish population, were killed during the Nazi occupation. Thousands of Russian prisoners of war also died in Nazi prisoner of war camps.
    I'd be pissed to if I saw those former SS soldiers marching down my street...in Latvia...90 percent of the Jewish population was killed. Those kinds of numbers still shock me when I hear or read about them....
    Last edited by Dennis; 03.23.05 at 03:26 AM.
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I know, it's just scary to think Latvia's government not only ain't ashamed of the fact, but they praise people who were directly responsible of that nightmare. And this country is a member of EU and NATO