Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinners Swing
    Last Online

01.05.06 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Suggestions for a newbie

To anyone interested in offering their opinion to a newbie...

I'm decided to add a new dimension to my life and would like some advice from anyone who is willing to offer it! Yes, I'm going to start learning to play guitar!! I'm in the process of looking for a teacher (there are enough places around here... I've definitely got no shortage there). I guess I figured I would just go with who ever felt comfortable to me, but, is that the best approach? What about gear? Oh, I am going with electric... not that I know any better, just my preference right now.

Thanks!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

All of 'Em
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

04.04.05 @ 03:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, lets see, a teacher is always a good first step...just shop around and find someone you are comfortable with,and complare prices, beware of people who want the first 6 or 10 payments upfront...that is bs IMO. Learn how to read tablature if you don't already,that will help out alot, it is very simple and there is just bunches available on the net...check out olga.net, pretty much all the tabs you could ever want. As far as gear...it depends on how much you want to spend, I would say be pretty moderate at first, there is no reason at this time to run out and buy a les paul or anything extravagant. Fortunately, we live in an age where there are tons of quality instruments at affordable prices. Check out guitar center if you have one in your area..if not, check out Musiciansfriend.com, decent prices, huge selection and 30 day no questions asked return policy. It also depends on what kind of music you want to play, hard rock, metal,blues, you need to understand the difference in guitar pickups to know what type of guitar for what type of music. Single coil pickups are generally used for blues or lighter styles of music..a Fender Stratocaster is the grand-daddy of this variety. Single coils can also have a nasty hum to them,so they came up with the humbucker pickup...no hum and a much fatter, harder sound, generally used in hard rock or metal,,,,such as Eddie uses in Wolfgangs. With single coils you can hear each individual note better, with humbuckers you can rock out more. There are guitars out there that have both single/ hum pickups....nice and versatile.
    Other than that...practice, practice, practice....remember the more time youu put into this the more it will pay off. People believe some great musicians are just born,,,may be true in some cases, but in most cases I bet anything the greats got great by working there asses off on their instruments.I'm tired of typing,,,any other questions and I'd be glad to help out later.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinners Swing
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply!

In regards to price range, I was hoping to keep it under $500 for now (I could afford more, but, I was pretty much thinking the same thing you suggested... nothing extravagent). I like all kinds of music... obviously, Van Halen and all kinds of rock music, blues, jazz, hell even a little country/blue grass (Chris Thile from Nickel Creek is amazing... I know, different instrument though) I don't know yet what I would want to focus on... is that bad?

Oh, yes, there is a Guitar Center near me.....

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

All of 'Em
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

04.04.05 @ 03:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's not bad at all, just remember to keep learning and have fun. I love all kinds of music too, it will just make you a more rounded musician. There is a Squier fat strat at musicians friend for $200, it would probably be a decent starter guitar for you, very versitile, humbucker and two single coils. Check out the line6 spider2 112 combo, talk about versitle, it will let you play anything from nice clean sounds to twangy country to the hardest metal, it is $300 at musiciansfriend, by the way they are owned by guitar center. I would go to guitar center and play both of them first to be sure they are what you want, check out other models too!! Good luck man.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinners Swing
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice... very much appreciated. I think I'll be heading out there this weekend.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinners Swing
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, well I checked out harmonycentral.com (saw this referenced in another thread) and seen they had a thread that everyone was talking about the Epiphone AlleyKat... anyone have any opinions on this guitar? The one model is $300 at Musiciansfriend.com.

Last Online

10.24.09 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The three most important words I can offer you are these....

Crank it up!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.19.05 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Amp advice

Try a new multieffects amp, alota companys are doing these types of amps, like a Line 6 and they are relativley cheap and make good at home practice amps.

They have all kinds of different amps that vary in price. So you can probably find a Line 6 Spider amp for around $200 or so...

There are alota companys who are doing these types of amps now, even the big names like Fender....

They are very flexable tonaly so you can mess with it and play the songs and sounds, tones, distortion, effects, etc... you like and if you ever get bored you can really modify the sound to fit different types of music...

Now these amps arnt as gona be exactly like THE amp that they model, they get close...Once you figure out your sound then you can go out and fork out the cash for the real deal...

PS unfortunatley I find that these amps dont make the best live or band practice amps due to low wattage but that is a couple steps away when youve just started.

Welcome to the club and have fun!!!

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't personally vouch for the guitar sounds, but Fender has a unit out now called the GDEC, or Guitar Digital Entertainment Center.

It has alot of useful features for a beginner or even established players, such as a metronome, drum machine, and bass backing track. You might want to check one out because everything is incorporated in that one unit, which I think is good for someone just starting out.

As far as an axe, I think the Squier Fat Strat is a good way to go. A guitar with an HSS (Bridge humbucker -middle single - neck single) may give you some ideas about the differences in output and tone between hummers and singles. If you don't want to spend much, it's not a bad way to go. If you absolutely don't have to have a guitar equipped with hummers AND single coils, and/or you want to check out some other brands there's plenty to choose from. Check out Musician's Friend and Sam Ash, or even better yet, go try out some guitars in your price range you might be interested in, and go from there. Since you're just starting out, make sure you get something with a comfortable neck, and consider a hardtail/stoptail bridge, or an inexpensive guitar with a licensed Floyd Rose/double locking tremolo.

Good luck man
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMan Spiff
    OK, well I checked out harmonycentral.com (saw this referenced in another thread) and seen they had a thread that everyone was talking about the Epiphone AlleyKat... anyone have any opinions on this guitar? The one model is $300 at Musiciansfriend.com.

Sounds like a good guitar to start off with. Like most factory shipped guitars it'll probably need a setup to play it's best, but that's pretty cheap costwise.
    It just involves setting the string height, intonation, and setting the bow in the neck to where it feels comfortable for you to play. You can either get a friend to help you do it, have a guitar teacher help set it up for you, or take it to a music store where they'll usually do it for a small fee.
    It's worth setting up any guitar you start with to help you learn faster and make it more enjoyable to play.
    Stay with light gauge strings like 9-42's to start with, while you build callouses on your fingers, and develop the strength in your fretting hand.
    Good luck.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Human's Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

To anyone interested in offering their opinion to a newbie...

I'm decided to add a new dimension to my life and would like some advice from anyone who is willing to offer it! Yes, I'm going to start learning to play guitar!! I'm in the process of looking for a teacher (there are enough places around here... I've definitely got no shortage there). I guess I figured I would just go with who ever felt comfortable to me, but, is that the best approach? What about gear? Oh, I am going with electric... not that I know any better, just my preference right now.

Thanks!
    Shop around for a teacher, and find one that suits you best.

You might be learning Mary had a little lamb at the start, but time flies.
    Don;t do what l did though, stay with a teacher, so you can learn some theory, l wish l did, but l'm now teaching myself theory until l find a decent teacher.

If you want to buy a beginners guitar, maybe try an OLP, l've played a couple and they are a nice guitar, for the price.

But a couple words of advice,
    1. when practising, practise on a clean channel, a dirty channel can cover up mistakes (See: NU-metal bands).
    2. It will get hard, myself, l almost quit playing guitar a million times when l first started, but hang in there, it's only gonna get easier.
    3. Be prepared for your fingers to hurt, maybe even bleed, you just have to build up your calais’s (sp?).

Thats enough advice for now.

Goodluck.

Riddick.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinners Swing
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys

I will be heading to the local Guitar Center with a buddy of mine (who was in a band) to just check out some gear. I think I will feel more comfortable purchasing something if I can atleast touch it.. see how it feels!

I'll keep everyone updated....

Favorite VH Album

VH1,Balance,FW,and VH3
    Favorite VH Song

Panama,without you and IAT
    Last Online

05.17.11 @ 11:41 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

yea man nice to see another newbie in the realm of the guitar.i've been playing maybe a little less then a year and it was hard in the beginning but its fun as hell now.....i started out with a squier and it got me by but you got to keep that intune at all times it would go out of tune like everytime i hit a string...good luck with the guitar man.
    Rock on MotherFucker!!!!!!
    Official VH Links Van Halen 3 fan

Bands I Have Seen Live:
    Van Halen The Smashup
    Twisted Sister Sanctity
    Loverboy Into Eternity
    WASP 2X Overkill
    LA Guns Arch Eenemy
    Stephen Percy Opeth
    Collective Soul Lamb Of God
    Motley Crue 3x Megadeth
    Queensryche 2x Aerosmith
    Amon Amarth Angels & Airwaves
    Trivium
    Children Of Bodom
    Still Remains
    Suffocation
    It Dies Today
    Poison The Well
    Shadows Fall

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.rondomusic.net/al2500csbf.html

The Line 6 Spider II 15watts/8 inch is a great little practice amp for around 160. Tribb told me about it. The insane channel kicks ass! If you want to change the pickups in the Agile, Jeff Gay at HighOrder Pickups'll custom wind you the best replacements you ever heard for 55-60 a pop shipped. Get them with double screws and radius them. Should be good to go after that.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Human's Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks guys

I will be heading to the local Guitar Center with a buddy of mine (who was in a band) to just check out some gear. I think I will feel more comfortable purchasing something if I can atleast touch it.. see how it feels!

I'll keep everyone updated....
    That's a good idea, when buying a guitar (or music gear) take someone who knows something about them, cause you can't really trust a salesman to tell the truth. hehe

Riddick.