Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.03.05 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default A month later and I still can't get 'Beat It' tone right.

After finally finishing my black and white Frankenstein replica, I happily rushed over to my PODxt to call up my Beat It patch and see if I had finally captured the sound. To my extreme disgust, the tone still was just not there. My patch consists of only the Plexi Variac on 10. My guitar is a strat style with a Seymour Duncan 59 Trembucker. Edward's playing on that song is so smooth and every note sounds just as loud as the one before it (tapped notes included). No matter how much I tweak, my tone is still rather tinny and the tapped sections are practically unintelligible. Never before has my interest in guitar playing been so threatened, which is a shame because I think I'm one of the best playing 18 year olds I've ever heard. I've searched all of the internet trying to find information on the equipment Edward used for that particular piece and all I find is vagueness. For some magical reason, everyone seems to think that he used an Echoplex for this but I can't detect any degree of Echo in the tone. I have a sneaking suspicion that he used a Tube Screamer or a comparable boost pedal. For the love of God, someone please solve this mystery before I eBay my equipment and give up.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Have you tried the amp packs from line6? I haven't yet but everyone I know that uses the POD XT swears by them, especially when it comes to Eddie tones.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

pretty much all of them
    Last Online

04.02.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You arent going to get it.

You know why?

You arent Eddie.

Perhaps you should find the closest tone you can possible get and then practice your chops for a good while then go back trying to find it.You may surprise yourself.

Stop comparing yourself to others and find your own voice. Its much more rewarding in the long run. ( im still searching for mine as well)
    What do you mean i dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday!

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Default The mystery is in where it was recorded...

While I agree with the above ( finding your own voice), I will give you some direction as to the recording of that solo. First, remember, according to Ed, Quincy Jones calls him up one afternoon from wherever he and that freak Michael had holed up to record. From Ed's story he thought it was all a practical joke and even hung up on Quincy.The point? According to Ed, he grabbed a guitar, jumped in his Jeep and rolled out to the studio. Again, the point? He didn't take any of his gear other than the guitar more than likely. As you have noticed that tone is distinctly different than any other and probably came through God knows what amp, effects, board settings/EQ. I would imagine Ed probably has no recollection at all if asked what he recorded that through. If you just can't live without this thing then the answer is in where it was recorded and with Quincy Jones. Go at it that way and you might find some comment about ED or his tone from some engineer on those sessions. Good Luck!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I never claimed to 'be' anyone but myself. My gripe here is that I can't seem to mimic a managable piece of music. I'm aware of the fact that the performance was off the cuff and I doubt that Edward himself could mimic it perfectly today. All I want to do if get close. So, the message I'm getting here is that I should try different amp models than the standard Variac on 10 method. Sounds good I suppose. Back to the drawing board.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
    After finally finishing my black and white Frankenstein replica, I happily rushed over to my PODxt to call up my Beat It patch and see if I had finally captured the sound. To my extreme disgust, the tone still was just not there. My patch consists of only the Plexi Variac on 10. My guitar is a strat style with a Seymour Duncan 59 Trembucker. Edward's playing on that song is so smooth and every note sounds just as loud as the one before it (tapped notes included). No matter how much I tweak, my tone is still rather tinny and the tapped sections are practically unintelligible. Never before has my interest in guitar playing been so threatened, which is a shame because I think I'm one of the best playing 18 year olds I've ever heard. I've searched all of the internet trying to find information on the equipment Edward used for that particular piece and all I find is vagueness. For some magical reason, everyone seems to think that he used an Echoplex for this but I can't detect any degree of Echo in the tone. I have a sneaking suspicion that he used a Tube Screamer or a comparable boost pedal. For the love of God, someone please solve this mystery before I eBay my equipment and give up.
    Are you serious?
    Maybe you should read some of the posts below yours, and pay attention.
    It's not about a pod, or your pod settings, or how close your guitar looks to Ed's Frankenstein.
    Ed "could " nail that tone and solo today cause he's Ed. He could be playing a les paul or strat or any other guitar and it would still sound right. The sound and tone are coming from his hands.
    I think the message is to practice.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

I agree with the guys above here. I just plug into my amp, dial in some shit on my Behringer, and if it sounds good to me, it is good. I never try nailing the "brown sound" or dialing in tones that'll make me sound close to the 1984 album. Just be yourself, and the rest will fall into place. Nobody will ever sound exactly like Ed, eventhough some have come real close. But in the end there's just one EVH. So personally I just play with my own sound and hope it sounds good. Haven't had any complaints yet.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

often repeated, not often understood:

the guy who engineered balance was at the studio one night with ed's rig and all the settings. he picked up the guitar and launched into an Ed song, but even though he played it note for note, it didnt sound anything like d..so his partner tried, again same result.
    finally, ed came in and verified it was his settings, etc ..they couldnt understand. so ed picked up the guitar..and lo and behold...it sounded just like ed
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
    Hey man, I don't know how many 18 year olds you've ever heard, or where you live. There's 13 year old kids that can positively shred the fuck out of some shit.

You hit the nail on the head "every note sounds just as loud as the one before it"? Why? Cause Eddie's technique is so good and his hands/fingers are so strong - not because of the fucking gear. A poor workman blames his tools. It's good to be humbled once in a while cause then you'll have a new fire lit under your ass to tackle something. I definitely agree with Tribb and the other cats.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by perticelli
    often repeated, not often understood:

the guy who engineered balance was at the studio one night with ed's rig and all the settings. he picked up the guitar and launched into an Ed song, but even though he played it note for note, it didnt sound anything like d..so his partner tried, again same result.
    finally, ed came in and verified it was his settings, etc ..they couldnt understand. so ed picked up the guitar..and lo and behold...it sounded just like ed
    Yep, Ed also said that early on, they opened for Ted Nugent, and Ted played through Ed's rig, and it sounded like Ted, not Ed.

I just hope that there will be some satisfaction for you at some point. Sounds like you're pretty intent on finding something that may not be found.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

supposedly the echo plex will add some boost/overdrive to your signal even if its in bypass.

if you check the echoplex module settings on the pod xt it has a "drive" amount in the settings . maybe try putting an echoplex in the effect chain in front of the plexi model thenadjusting the extra signal drive from the echo plex but keeping the echo off.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.19.05 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Nowhere Man..

Dont get discouraged Nowhere man . If you concentrate on anything to much it becomes work...and no one likes that ...
    I get frustrated too sometimes and what I do is I take a break and walk away..then I come back and I usually enjoy it again...

I own a PODxt and the only preset Eddie tone that it comes with is "Eruption". The sound is pretty close I dont think the Phase sweeps enough though but you can adjust each perameter, I also run an EQ mix after the unit to brighten the highs because Eds Eruption sound had a hell of alot of bite to it..

What I recomend..

You should record your playing, and compare it to what sound your after...Its amazing how when you hear yourself in a recording you can critique yourself better and adjust the sound better...(Its kinda like hearing your voice on tape, no one ever thinks thats what they sound like )

Lastly, Sooooo many people in this forum always talk about, gear, gear, gear, and then they say its all in his hands...thats true to an extent.

Then what I suggest is you take a look at his hands then...watch his music videos and live concerts. Watch particulary how he picks and where he picks along the string..also how he frets and uses his hands. Its amazing how something as simple as where you pick along a string will change your tone...
    Of course LISTEN to his melodic content play Eddie type scales and Eddie type whammy techniques, dont just focus on his tone. Ed doesnt play alota blues box stuff really....

Spend sometime in your car with Eds music cranked close your eyes and listen closley, its kinda cool, you'll hear stuff you never noticed before...(P.S. make sure that the car is parked when closing eyes )

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Human's Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:07 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Don't get frustrated Nowhere Man, when l was younger, l wanted to sound like Steve Lukather, i tried and tried, but still couldn't get it. But then came to realize, it's all in the guitarists fingers. In the 80's, Luke uses a lot of effects, but it was still Luke, and now a days, he uses just a touch of delay, but it still sounds like him, and through all his equipment changes, Valley arts, Ernie Ball, Marshall, Soldano, Mesa Boogie, Rivera, Custom Audio Electronics, it didn't really matter, cause he just sounded like Luke, there where suttle changes in his sound, but l could tell it was him. But l finally came to realize that l wanted just to sound like me, it was a blessing in disguise, one thing l got out of it, l learnt how to use my equipment really well.

Riddick.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I agree with everything you said Riddick. There is a lot to be learned from copying other people, but in the end we have to be comfortable with being ourselves, cause we can't be anything other than what we are. One of man's greatest struggles is to learn how to be who he already is, instead of something else, or someone else.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Once again, I am misunderstood

Wow, I bet that if I met most of you in a real life situation, I would be irritated, annoyed or bothered. Anyway, I added a tube screamer to the mix and the sound was wonderful and likely as close as I'll ever get. You people are assuming that I am a mediocre punk rock bumpkin teenager who is trying to run before I can walk. While that offends me to no end, I forgive you because I am used to being misunderstood. I want to MIMIC Ed's playing style and tone.... M I M I C. Not copy. I'd wager that most of you are those guitar store trolls who play very loud and/or fast in an attempt to heal wounds from bad parenting or lack of attention. To the CopenHalen idiot, thank you for telling me that I am essentially a bad player. Definitely something that every musician should say to another... unfortunately it isn't true. Tribb, I'm sure that Edward could "nail" that tone with a Strat. I would pay a lot of money to hear that................................ Who would have thought that I would run into so many disrespectful, miserable people on some website devoted to modern music. I am simply blown away that so many mindless followers of modern "music" could be such awful people. Edward is a fantastic player though. He has everything that I look for in a musician: Memorable songs, good tone, good looks, etc. If any of you busted condom bastards want to disrespect me further or incorrectly tell me that I need to practice, dial toll free at (586) 795-8675. I am exceeding intelligent and could probably argue circles around most of you Nickleback Numbskulls. If you'll excuse me, I have to go create prodigious music with a few musicians who have been getting paid rather comfortably to do what they love for longer than most of you Guitar Center clerks have been alive. But wait, according to your astute observation, I must be a bad player if I can't understand that Ed's tone is in his hands. Seems to me that I already knew that. I just wanted a tone. And thanks to the fine folks who created the TS-808, I have a fairly good representation of that tone. Once my hands are stronger, perhaps I can lower the gain. Call now!

P.S.

My caustic comments are aimed only as those who think that they are better than I am despite the fact that they don't know me or have never heard my playing. To those who had words of encouragement, thanks, but practice is not what I need.

P.P.S.

In regards to the guitar I built. I did not build that in hopes of getting closer to Edward's sound. That would be something a punk rap moron would do. I didn't even paint on the stripes. I just wanted a Strat shape guitar with one humbucker. So stop misunderstanding me! Immediately!
    Last edited by Nowhere Man; 03.17.05 at 11:46 AM. Reason: .