Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Lancashire(Preston and Manchester), England...the ORIGINAL, NOT 'New England'
    Favorite VH Album

VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default iPOD Mini or Shuffle

I am currently in the market for a new Mp3 player after my old ones 20 song capacity has become an annoyance.

I use my current one for my daily hour long workout in the gym and it is small and light but changing the songs frequently is an annoyance (due to 20 song capacity - the playlist becomes repetitive quickly)

Anyway I am looking at either the iPOD shuffle or the mini iPOD. Dont know what to do though. Put off the shuffle by lack of LCD screen and fact I wont be able to fit all my Van Halen albums and boots on it. Keen because it is small and light for gym.

The iPOD mini on the other hand has a lcd screen and I could fit all my VH stuff on it. Also it will be a treat in the car and for general use. However, isnt it gonna be a ball-ache at the gym? Can you skip with an iPOD in your pocket for example? Could it take the daily wear and tear of being used at the gym? Plus it costs more.

Anyway, all iPOD users or Shuffle users or cigarette lighter style mp3 users your opinions would be greatly appreciated!
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

06.12.17 @ 10:40 AM
    Liked 73 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I am far from an expert on this, but I got an iPod Mini for Christmas and could not be happier. Right now I have 900+ songs on it and it is just over 3/4 full. I am not a tech guy and I found it really easy to use. Some pretty cool features too. There are probably better players out there, but this one works for me.
    As far as wear and tear, I have used it snowboarding and jogging without issue. I took some decent crashes while boarding and it kept right on playing.

Lancashire(Preston and Manchester), England...the ORIGINAL, NOT 'New England'
    Favorite VH Album

VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Scherb how is it for running? Do you put it in your pocket or on a lanyard or what? I am touchy about this cus I hate having something heavy in my pocket when running

You sound like an active person so your advice is invaluable.

Any other opinions on this?
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

06.12.17 @ 10:40 AM
    Liked 73 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

It comes with a belt attachment that seems to work well. But I have only really used it jogging inside on a treadmill, so I typically just set in on the control panel.

For boarding I just put it in my inside jacket pocket (wrapped in a winter hat -because I was paranoid about it taking a beating - I doubt that helped any) I understand there are all kinds of extras you can buy to house the player, but I have not done anything yet.

The menu wheel can be a little touchy, so to avoid any accidental changes in play, there is a "hold" button that keeps your preferences set. Just make sure you set what you want to hear before you take off.

One drawback I have heard people bitch about is the battery life. Fully charged it lasts around 8 hours. It can get to 80% charged in about an hour. I have not had any problems with that though.
    Hope this helps.

Last Online

01.13.07 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an iPod Mini and it is awesome! I have almost 200 songs on it, it's light, and I can sneek it into class easily! Some problems with it is that some of the songs I downloaded onto it can skip and songs that are usually 3 minutes and then they're about 10 seconds! Also, sometimes, I'll turn it off of hold and it STILL wont turn on! Sometimes, I just wanna throw it out the window! ANOTHER thing, the battery life is only about 3 hrs, whereas regular iPods are about 4 or 5 hrs!

For working out, it's pretty easy! I wear shorts every time (even when it's about 30 degrees outside!), so I just take the belt clip and put it on the elastic-type thing on my pants and it doesn't move unless I move it. The only problem then is when I'm workin out, the chord to my earphones is long, so I wrap it around the back of my neck, but that's another story!
    So you broke down, trying to leave town, I broke down crying on your return. You left me feeling hopeful, I'll never see your face again. You made for a bad lover's liver. You stole all the covers and busted my head. You made me such an asshole, I wish we'd never met. I'm tired of being bored. I'm through with the headaches. Hiding my hands that tremble like earthquakes. Under the table, under the daytime sky, Good Fucking Bye- Good Fucking Bye, Alkaline Trio

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I use an armband with my iPod when I run. No problems, other than a full-size iPod is a bit bulky for that.

Given the choice between the mini and the Shuffle, I think it's a no-brainer. Get the mini. The battery life on the new model is something like 18 hours, and I think it's worth it just for the ability to put together different playlists on the fly. 4 times the capacity for a third more on the price, plus full functionality as opposed to random or straight through? There's not much decision to be made there, I think. The mini really is tiny. My sister-in-law has one, and the few times I've played with it I've been pretty impressed by its size, or lack there of.

I'm on my 2nd iPod now. I had one of the first 20gb models, and I've now got a 3rd generation 40gb. If I had to pick just one to buy, I'd grab one of the discontinued 40gb photo ones. I've seen them as low as $340, which is an absolute steal. It really depends upon how much music you have, I guess.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

pretty much all of them
    Last Online

04.02.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have a 40 gig ipod!

I have too much music for a mini or a shuffle.
    What do you mean i dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

IMO, Neither, get the 20gig iPod for a little extra money (something like $50 I think?)

I have a mini and it does hold a lot of music, but that gets repetitive after a while too. And the battery sucks, It says 4 hours I think? No way, even if you don't use it for a long time, you still have to charge it back up. I thought it was just me, but that seems to be a common thing on the Ipod help forum. There's a lady at my work who has that U2 iPod and she has the same problem with the battery.

I got the mini for Christmas though, so I shouldn't complain....but I wish I could have exchanged it for the 20GB though....With a 20 gig you should be able to load that sucker up and still have room for when new music comes out (but then again, being a Van Halen fan, that's like once every 5 years or so )

Like Mike said, it all depends on how much music you have....maybe the mini is enough for what you have.

Last Online

01.13.07 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a little off-topic, but how do you get songs off of the free music systems onto the iPods? I swear, it's killin me, payin a buck per song on iTunes!
    So you broke down, trying to leave town, I broke down crying on your return. You left me feeling hopeful, I'll never see your face again. You made for a bad lover's liver. You stole all the covers and busted my head. You made me such an asshole, I wish we'd never met. I'm tired of being bored. I'm through with the headaches. Hiding my hands that tremble like earthquakes. Under the table, under the daytime sky, Good Fucking Bye- Good Fucking Bye, Alkaline Trio

Favorite VH Album

ALL ALBUMS from ALL ERAS!!!
    Favorite VH Song

ALL SONGS from ALL ERAS!
    Last Online

11.25.07 @ 01:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go for the 20 GB iPod...

it only costs $50 more than the iPod mini ($299 vs. $249), and it has 20 GB vs. 4 GB! It's not that much bigger, physically, but in data space, it's 5 TIMES bigger.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    I use an armband with my iPod when I run. No problems, other than a full-size iPod is a bit bulky for that.

Given the choice between the mini and the Shuffle, I think it's a no-brainer. Get the mini. The battery life on the new model is something like 18 hours, and I think it's worth it just for the ability to put together different playlists on the fly. 4 times the capacity for a third more on the price, plus full functionality as opposed to random or straight through? There's not much decision to be made there, I think. The mini really is tiny. My sister-in-law has one, and the few times I've played with it I've been pretty impressed by its size, or lack there of.
    I work out and treadmill with my ipod 20 gb in my pocket...not a problem...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by evhslilhottie
    This is a little off-topic, but how do you get songs off of the free music systems onto the iPods? I swear, it's killin me, payin a buck per song on iTunes!

To add songs from somewhere else (legally downloaded of course ) just open Itunes and go to FILE - ADD FILE TO LIBRARY and then find the songs and add it to the Itune library.

I'm pretty sure that's how you would do it, I've only imported songs from my own cd's that I ripped via iTunes.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I just double click the file and it automatically copies to my library. Depends on how you have things set up.

The $249 mini is 6gb now. The 4gb is $199. They upped the battery life on those quite a bit, too.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL

The $249 mini is 6gb now. The 4gb is $199. They upped the battery life on those quite a bit, too.

Damn it, that figures...oh well, the 20 or 40gb is on next year's list to Santa....

If you import the songs using that Apple Lossless format, are the files smaller? And if they are, are relatively the same quality as the 128mb mp3?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.24.15 @ 09:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 15GB iPod and absolutely love it. My brother has the Mini which he filled up in no time and now wishes he had the bigger size. I recommend the bigger ones like the 20GB. It is worth the extra money.

I don't know the full tech stats. But supposedly the iPod has a strong shock absorption. Meaning you can pretty much drop em and they will be fine. So working out with them in the gym should be no problem as far as wear and tear go.

Yes, Apple's AAC encoding produces smaller file sizes and YES it sounds every bit as good as mp3s.
    Last edited by Bernz; 03.13.05 at 06:43 PM.
    "The sunglasses ask his permission to be worn every night, that's how badass Al is.." - sinner's swing