Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.14.05 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I feel ripped off!

I went over my moms and turned on the Van Halen on In Demand, I don't have it ,so I heard it was on and waited a while to check it out.

Well LAtely I have been listening to my Right Here Right Now album and I wanted to see Ed do the awesome solo to Love Walks In.

Well I'm watching it, and NO Ed, it was Sammy playing it! So my question i, When did Ed start playing the solos Live and what did they do about hte Keyboard stuff? I have never seen VH live, but it is quit obviouls that Ed is doing the solos on the RHRN album.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cazmarzak
    I went over my moms and turned on the Van Halen on In Demand, I don't have it ,so I heard it was on and waited a while to check it out.

Well LAtely I have been listening to my Right Here Right Now album and I wanted to see Ed do the awesome solo to Love Walks In.

Well I'm watching it, and NO Ed, it was Sammy playing it! So my question i, When did Ed start playing the solos Live and what did they do about hte Keyboard stuff? I have never seen VH live, but it is quit obviouls that Ed is doing the solos on the RHRN album.
    Eddie didn't play keys live from 91 and on. Instead, he had all the keyboard parts sequenced. From 86 to 89, some of the keyboard stuff was played live, and some was sequenced.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I think he's talking about the guitar solos.

Eddie didn't play those on the 5150 tour, either.

Not on "Why Can't This Be Love", nor on "Love Comes Walking In".

From what I can tell, Sammy's alternate (or maybe it's Ed's alternate) is plugged into Eddie's rig during the LWAN "Love Comes Walking In" solo. It's a *noticeably* different tone than Sammy's typical shtick.

In fact, I think it's a great example of the difference in tone those two have, when you compare Sammy's horrible lead tone in "Only One Way to Rock", and his suddenly "brown" lead tone during "Love Comes Walking In".

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

From what I can tell Sammy did a good job of recreating Ed's solos. It is Sammy becasue you can tell by his vibrato, he may not be the best guitar play in the world but his vibrato is distinctive.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Judgement Day
    It is Sammy becasue you can tell by his vibrato, he may not be the best guitar play in the world but his vibrato is distinctive.
    As is your typing.

Seriously......Sammy was barely passable during those solos.

He's completely right-hand dominant. If he's not trem picking on the top string, and running his left hand blindly down the neck in a flurry of aimless hammer-ons, he's friggin' lost.

The tone was great....it's clear that he was plugged into Ed's rig, or at least EQ'd as such.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.14.05 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well to be honest, the studio version of LCWI did'n't toally blow me away like the Right Here Right Now version did, I heard that one first and then was really disapointed with what samyy did.

I noticed Ed giving him a look and a smile during the solo, and ain't really sure what he was thinking.

How hard is it to do things like Sequence the keyboards live like that ? I mean what happens if you totally screw up or something.

Last Online

06.12.07 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How hard is it to do things like Sequence the keyboards live like that ? I mean what happens if you totally screw up or something.
    I believe that actually happened this past summer during Jump, it sounds tricky. Last thing ya want is to pull an Ashlee Simpson cuz then you'd have to do a hoe-down
    Talkin Some New Kicks

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Sequencing the keyboards is basically recording the note data, among other data, before hand, and having it play through the keyboard/sampler/synth live. When he sequenced the key parts, he wouldn't play them live, and would instead play guitar. When you see him playing keys for a whole song though, like on LWAN's "Love Walks In", he is playing keys live.