Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.30.05 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Many of you may have read this already, but if you are looking for a PHENOMENAL book about hard rock and heavy metal, everything from Sabbath to GNR, including a WEALTH of history and material about VH... you have to check out "Fargo Rock City," by Chuck Klosterman.

I just got it the other day, and-- for those of you who grew up in the 80s-- it's the best walk down a musical memory lane you'll ever have. You'll feel as if Klosterman traveled back in time simply to write the biography of your own adolescence. What's great is he doesn't just simply write about the emergence and activity of your favorite bands-- he writes about it from the perspective of being an avid fan and listener. In other words, he doesn't just write about the MUSIC, he writes about what it was like to LISTEN to the music, to hear it for the first time.

He also validates a musical form that is now all but dead. I mean, Nirvana made the metal bands of the 80s passe... literally overnight... but Klosterman explains why those bands were incredibly relevant... it not always culturally and musically, definitely emotionally for the people listening to them.

I just received this book as a gift from a really well-read friend. I could continue going on and on about how great it is, but it'll just end up sounding like ridiculous hyperbole. So trust me on this...

Go to your nearest bookstore and pick up a copy. It'll be the best $14 you've ever spent... I promise you.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

10.25.16 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 84 Posts

Yeah I read Fargo Rock City a few years ago, I have the hardcover book of it. It is cool. It isn't about just VH though, so I will move this topic to Music Only.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!