Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Stuck in the 80s???

Yesterday in another thread, I was jousting with some of our esteemed members about a topic concerning a band and music, primarily from the 80s. Yada yada yada, long uninteresting story short, I was sorta told that I was so stuck in then 80s that it was rediculous. All in good fun of course.

So I asked myself, self, what was it about that particular decade, music, cars and chicks that I still seem passionate about? Why do I still prefer listening to the music that came from that era instead of something newer and mainstream (nobrainer).

What is it particularly about classic Van Halen that I still find appealing?

So, as my mind began to wonder back to the year that I saw the band on the 1984 tour ( two shows in one month, first time I had ever done that for any band), I began to zero in on that last particular evening. It was a great show, party atmosphere, solid tunes and to top it off, I ended up at a HOLE iday Inn performing cunninglingus on this little honeydripper named Lee Ann (saw her the other day in the mall while shopping with the spouse, we couldn't speak, but we both had that reminisicant shit eating grin suddenly appear ).

I know that was probably more info than you really wanted to know but, when I reflect back to that period, its stuff like this that floods my memory bank. God, what a great time to be young and alive and a rock music fan. I honestly feel sorry for the state of the music biz now and the shit the youth are subject to listen too ( a cluless asshole with two turntables and a mirophone) give me a fucking break.

I personally have decided to stay stuck in the 80s. (lets be politically correct and call it retro . Retro is cool in my book. Its like the new black Hell, don't take my word for it, check out what the Automakers are doing now,(Chrysler PT Cruiser, Fords new Mustang, Chevys next Camaro). Clothes and hair styles are definitely retro (bell bottoms, afros and tight pants ). And thank god some of the bands from previous eras are out on the concert trail.

Its kinda true what they say about the older something gets, eventually it becomes in style again. What do ya think guys and gals?
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by weesfreewheelin
    (saw her the other day in the mall while shopping with the spouse
    You were getting Glam Shots, weren't you?

(JK, I love the 80's too!!)
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

Shit, I wish I could still grow hair like that
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Yeah Wees..... I find myself "defaulting" back to a lot of things about the 80's.
    Man the clothes we used to gig in I gotta post some pics of the stuff we used to wear. Most of my "giggin" and "runnin" days were in the 80's. Today I still can hear a song from the 80's and it immediately takes me back to the big hair,zebra stripes,bandanas,fake leather and parachute pants. I was 19 in the summer of 1980. Van Halen had a few albums out,Pink Floyds "The Wall" was out and that was just the start of that decade.
    BTW ...The drummer in our band STILL has the Big long 80's hair Yeah, he catches hell over that often.
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

You've got a point, and we are what? A mere 5 years apart in age.
    In a way, I accept and proudly wear the tag of being "old-school".

In 1980 I was so sick of "corporate-rock" (Foriegner, Styx, ect.) that I simply headed as far away from it I could: college radio.

Early '80's found me studying to be a lawyer (I'm not kidding), and college radio saved my life. Husker Du, Flipper, Sonic Youth, Dream Syndicate, Black Flag, X, Gang of Four, R.E.M.,...the list goes on.

This is the music (along with a few early MTV acts) that I adored.

(Strangely, at that time I hated DuranDuran, now I almost feel a fondness for them.)

Back to the thrust...I was in my twenties, confused as hell...yet thinking I was somewhat on top of things. I'd like to meet that guy, the guy I once was and tell him what an asshole he is/was.

Yet, and I mean this sincerely, in another twenty years, myself of that future day will probably want to confront the "current" me, and blast me for missed opportunities taking place today !

In a way, we are all stuck in an era...as we get older, they are easier to define, such as turning 25 and realising you've been on the planet for a quarter of a century!

One simply must put these things (and people's comments) into perspective.

My advice? Pay no heed to crap like yesterday's thread...live your life.
    Nobody else can.
    The only thing you will ever truly own in this life are your fuck-ups.

And some of mine have been glorious!

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:49 PM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Yesterday's thread only got crappy because you were being a dick. There's a difference between respecting the glory days of CVH and the 80s (of which I am not only a card carrying member, but also VP of operations ), and pissing on other people's passions. Too many "CVH" diehards don't make the distinction.

I too am stuck in the 80s. It was a peak, as is any decade where we come of age. Nobody from those eras is really going to identify with today's music, just as our parents dug Sinatra and big band and Elvis and not AC DC. Enculturation's a big gorilla.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig
    The only thing you will ever truly own in this life are your fuck-ups.

And some of mine have been glorious!

...craig
    Whoa Chef....That was a pretty deep post...and I love this quote! That's definately "sig worthy"
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The '80's was a useless decade to me...

For one thing, I've been stridently anti-fashion for the entire duration of my consciousness - especially when it came to big hair. Unlike many of the current bandwagon bashers, I can legitimately claim to never having worn a mullet in my life.

Cars might have been starting back in the right direction after an awful disco decade of smog-choking and 5-mph cowcatcher bumpers, but they didn't really hit their stride till the '90's, and the autos of the new millennium are even better. But if they hearken back to anything, it's styling motifs from the '60's and earlier, not the '80's.

Again, my anti-fashion impulse has resulted in an oblique advantage; it's supremely ironic that my particular model of car, seemingly admired back in the '80's when it was a decal-festooned paper tiger, has an oh-so-coffee-klatch image problem now that it's an honest 160-mph machine. They couldn't give 'em away in the end. Youngsters think it looks slow because it doesn't have a ripply fiberglass front end, a picnic table spoiler on its trunk, and a big shiny coffee can fart pipe for an exhaust. And lemme tellya, consistently stinging everyone from ignorant ricers to smug German machines at every stoplight is a beautiful thing.

Couldn't have done this with the '80's version of my ride.

Nope. Started the '80's as a helpless kid with a gut full of angst and rage; finished the '80's as a weary college graduate with no idea what the next step would be. The only thing worth a crap to me about the '80's was my one true favorite band, which ceased to exist halfway through the decade.

I think I'll see what Priest is up to these days. You can have the rest of the '80's, if you want 'em.
    Classic Van Halen. In Pace Requiescant.

"...sure I'm on zoloft. That's so I don't hafta kill none o' y'all..." - Mike Tyson

and by the way...

Eat Us And Smile.

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Yesterday's thread only got crappy because you were being a dick. There's a difference between respecting the glory days of CVH and the 80s (of which I am not only a card carrying member, but also VP of operations ), and pissing on other people's passions.

Yo van squeeker, I don't recall being the one refering to the Crue as talentless, publc relation, makeup wearing whore dawgs I was just givin em props for runnung it up the flag pole

And yes, they do own van hager in the PR department
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:49 PM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by weesfreewheelin
    Yo van squeeker, I don't recall being the one refering to the Crue as talentless, publc relation, makeup wearing whore dawgs
    Yo Wheeze...that wasn't me either.

And I was referring to your little tongue-in-cheekiness ploys, not the intended content of the thread.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The SLAWTERHOUSE Bug
    For one thing, I've been stridently anti-fashion for the entire duration of my consciousness - especially when it came to big hair. Unlike many of the current bandwagon bashers, I can legitimately claim to never having worn a mullet in my life.

Cars might have been starting back in the right direction after an awful disco decade of smog-choking and 5-mph cowcatcher bumpers, but they didn't really hit their stride till the '90's, and the autos of the new millennium are even better. But if they hearken back to anything, it's styling motifs from the '60's and earlier, not the '80's.

Again, my anti-fashion impulse has resulted in an oblique advantage; it's supremely ironic that my particular model of car, seemingly admired back in the '80's when it was a decal-festooned paper tiger, has an oh-so-coffee-klatch image problem now that it's an honest 160-mph machine. They couldn't give 'em away in the end. Youngsters think it looks slow because it doesn't have a ripply fiberglass front end, a picnic table spoiler on its trunk, and a big shiny coffee can fart pipe for an exhaust. And lemme tellya, consistently stinging everyone from ignorant ricers to smug German machines at every stoplight is a beautiful thing.

Couldn't have done this with the '80's version of my ride.

Nope. Started the '80's as a helpless kid with a gut full of angst and rage; finished the '80's as a weary college graduate with no idea what the next step would be. The only thing worth a crap to me about the '80's was my one true favorite band, which ceased to exist halfway through the decade.

I think I'll see what Priest is up to these days. You can have the rest of the '80's, if you want 'em.

Great post...particularlly enjoyed the line about the "picnic table sized spoiler".

There is much truth in what you posted, yet I'm saddened about the one line regarding "the only thing worth a crap to me about the '80's was my one true favorite band" thing.

Jesus Tap Dancing Christ...you simply had to have eaten a good meal, seen a good movie or met a someone who wrenched out your heart, right?

For crying out loud, you never once went to "Taco Bell"?

Just fuckin' with you...stellar post, bro.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig

Jesus Tap Dancing Christ...you simply had to have eaten a good meal, seen a good movie or met a someone who wrenched out your heart, right?

...craig
    Speaking of movies, here's some that come to mind,

Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    Breakfast Club
    The Shining
    Apocalypse Now
    Platoon
    Arthur
    Ferrir Buellers Day Off
    Airplane

Etc...Etc..

Slawterhouse is pretty close with his automoble analogy. Especially domestic. My vehicle of choice through the early 80s was a 1982 Toyota 4x4
    In 84 I really fucked up and bought a brand new candy apple red Pontiac Firebird. I will never own another pontiac again.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's a generational thing.

I was a teenager in 1980 (16), graduated highschool in 1982. Turned 21 in 1985. I kissed my first girl in 1983 and lost my virginity in 1984. I voted for the President for the first time in 1984 and the 1980s was when I bought my first car.

In short, the 1980s was when I became an adult and became a funtioning part of the larger world. I was no longer "Too Young" to do things and the newfound liberty to go anywhere and do anything without asking permission was exciting and a little frightening. The coolest part was that there were millions of other people my age going through the exact same thing too.
    Just as kids from previous generations realized as they became young men and women.

But the 1980s ruled, here's why:

The "Boomers" had cut their hair and become yuppies, we saw them for the hypocrates that most of them were. We took their "Flower Power" and their bell-bottoms and trashed them. We figured that if we were going to have long hair then why not do something to it, or at least look like we washed it regularly. Our music had one componant, weather it was Black Flag, Berlin, Scorpians, Duran Duran or Van halen, it was in your face and unapologetic in it's decadance. If you were punk, you were punk. If you had hair, you had big and/or intersting hair( 1980s will be the only era where you can tell the bands from their photos rather than their music). If you were loud, you were fucking loud and if you played guitar, you played the shit out of it. Then you partied.
    There was no shame in the 1980s, you were who you were and if people didn't like it, tough shit. That attitude meant that things moved fast because noboby's feelings got hurt. We were all happy assholes. I went to parties where my friends were black, gay and God-knows-what. The music in the backround covered the whole spectrum and everybody dug everything. We all got along but words were used that would cripple young people today who've grown up indoctrinated by political correctness. No hard feelings dude, have another beer. It was fun to be a human being.
    The clothes were much more bold and daring, though some ended up looking stupid. I miss my acid-washed jeans and my jean jacket. I don't miss my parachute pants but I miss being able to fit into them (I cry when I think that once I could fit into a 29'' waist). Still, when I looked good I LOOKED GOOD.

In the 1980s, we would never be caught dead in an SUV (e.i. Tuna boat, whale boat), it was about small Japanese cars like Honda, Mazda and Datson(Nissan). If you have money then it was the BMW 325i or the Volkwagon GTI. Small fast and deacent gas mileage, even by today's standards. We remembered the 1970s and sitting in the car with our parents for up to two hours in a long gas line. We remembered gas-rationing (last number on your plate, odds one day and even's on the other. You could only get half a tank or less in some cities). I guess this is where we fail in the 1990s because many of our generation traded in their Hondas for Suburbans and now we pay in one year for gas what we paid for our first, fuel efficiant car. Worse, we've bought our children these monsters as their first cars. This means that at some point in the near future we (our children and us) will have to re-learn the painful lessons that our parents learned sitting in those gas lines in a hot August sun.

Don't get me wrong, there is much about 2005 that I dig. TV is better, technology is just fucking cool and we have a Republican in the White House which mean the music is better. The other day I was walking through the lobby of the brand new cinemaplex and I thought back to 1984, when I was the assistant manager of a two-plex. The snack bar of the new place is huge and self-serve. We didn't even have cash registers, we made change in our heads(a lost art BTW), this place had four computerized stations with LCD screens with jazzy screen savers. To me it was like somehting out of Star Trek.
    And then there are the girls. Oh boy!
    I was at work a month ago, and I was checking in a guest who was 72 years old and still working as a traveling sales-rep. He says to me "Why are the girls so beautiful today? There were no girls that looked like that when I was in highschool!" He's right. Now I'm not going to tell you that there were nothing but dogs at my highschool because we had some beautiful girls who are even better looking today at 40. The difference is that I can still name all of them, the hot ones stood out. Today when I go to the mall I'm pleasantly amazed at the young chicks today. They have a basic fashon sense and seem to take better care of themselves. The coolest thing is that when they talk about their future they seem to have a wider variety of goals and options than the girls in my graduating class thought they had. Today there are fewer "Firsts" for women, and that's good. A woman being named head sugeon doesn't make the national news like it would have in the 1980s. Whats-her-name from Hewlett Packard being fired isn't news and isn't viewed as sexist because..well.. she just made some mistakes, and like any other CEO who screws up, she was relieved.

Still, she would have looked better with shoulder-pads as she left the office the last time.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

Hey Axxman, killer post dude Another thing they have today, that is better than we had, is more potent weed (or so I'm told ). I smoked a lot of dirt pot in my day
    Last edited by weesfreewheelin; 03.10.05 at 11:54 AM.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Carmel sits between Santa Cruz's mountians and Big Sur.

We have the best pot in the world. I haven't smoked a bowl in years (1989 to be exact) but for a month in 1984 that's pretty much all I did. I remember smoking a bowl and then watching Beverly Hills Cop and laughing so damn hard I almost pee'd myself and passed out.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300