Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Romeo Delight

11.19.05 @ 05:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Eddies playing technique

I started this thread so that guitar players and VH fans could discuss their playing approach and technique to Eddies sound. Not so much equipment because god knows there are enough of those threads....

I have been studying Eddies videos, concerts on DVD and I slow them down and watch his playing technique. His fretting and particularly his picking technique.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that Eddie does not pick with the pick between his thumb and pointer finger like most players but with it between his thumb and middle finger.

You can clearly see that when he does his trem pick runs... He lifts his whole picking hand off the guitar and sort of rocks his hand rapidly back and forth over the string...

Ive been practicing this and I notice you can build up quite a bit more speed this way...
    but it certainly takes a long time to get used to..

Another thing I wanted to ask was, has anyone own or see Curt Mitchells "In the style of Van Halen" instructional guitar videos? I notice that he mentions Eddies picking technique. He described it much like I did and he said he cant do it so he picks the way like most guitar players do (the side of the palm a little flat against the bridge while moving with the wrist or forearm)...

I think the way Eddie picks the sting has alot to do with his tone, I think it seems to give his sound more of a bite or crisper attack....

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen,1984,Fuck,
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

03.24.12 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've seen one of the Curt mitchell Videos, but i can't remember any picking technique stuff. I do know that Eddie did get made fun of for holding his pick that way (jealousy), i can play both ways, but i can play better with my thumb, index and middle. I only really learned to play the other way because Eddie did it, I don't think it makes any difference to your tone. I think Eddies tone has alot to do with his looseness and comfortableness ( is that a word??), he seems to get the sound he wants with his fingers.
    "I talked to the cancer. I told the f*cker the party was over" - Eddie Van Halen

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman". - Homer Simpson

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

to many to name
    Last Online

04.22.16 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Eddie holds his pick the way he does because he likes to tap with his index finger. I agree with you about the speed picking. I tried using that technique for the Ice Cream Man solo and it really helps get the speed of it down. The only problem I had was going from string to string but eventually I got it down.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

09.23.16 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

from what ive seen ed switches between the index and pointer finger during differnt parts. i try it for fun , it feels kinda awkward.

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.