Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Default Realizations after 10+ years of playing

This may be as useless a thread as anything, but I thought it might be cool for "more experienced" players to chime in on words of wisdom for the younger crowd seeking answers. Now I know "more experienced" doesn't necessarily mean technically better--I saw some 17 year old kid playing Vai's "Eugene's Trick Bag" the other day (something I never even attempted). But nonetheless, I'll bet many of us have some good suggestions. Here's some of mine:

--This is the most recent one. I never could get the sound I wanted from any of my amps. Until recently, it never even occurred to me that it could be my 2x12 enclosure that I didn't like. It's loaded with 2 Vintage 30 Celestions that are all midrange when cranked. Turns out I'm not alone, and have ordered a G12H30 to remedy the problem. Wonder what my Heartbreaker, Mark IV, Mark IIC+, & JCM 800 2205s would have sounded like through this.

Advice: Before you sell that pricey amp, try it with other speakers.

Other advice:

--If you play out, have at least one backup guitar without a floating bridge. Two floating bridge guitars + 2 wrong bends= disaster on stage.

--Practice whatever is going to make you want to practice.

--Selling/Buying/Trading gear can get quite addictive. Funny how back in the 60's guys played amps with one channel and they all sounded completely different. Nowadays we have unlimited options and still aren't satisfied.
    Try to buy gear that is also an investment so that you'll get the same $$$ for it (or more) if you want to sell it later on.

--Know your limitations. If you are never going to step outside your apartment with your gear, you probably aren't going to be happy with that Non-Master Volume 1967 Marshall Plexi perpetually set on "1" or with the Hotplate on it's next to lowest setting. But hey, to each his own.

--What sounds good to you now might sound like crap to you in two years.

--Do not, under any circumstance, trust or put stock in whatever anyone says on MTV.

That's all I got for now, but I'll chime in when something good hits. The field is open, fellas...
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

• If it feels good, do it.
    • Karaoke is the work of satan.
    • DJs belong on the radio.
    • If someone tells you "it will be good for the exposure", it probably won't be. Prepare to play for free.
    • If a bar owner says "but Band X plays for less money", hunt down Band X and kill them.
    • When a patron says "play something we can dance to", they are actually saying "play everything last week's band played".
    • Learn Brown-Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally, and Turn The Page. When asked to play those songs just say you don't know them. Why learn them? See next...
    • There is a sucker born every minute. A fool and his money are soon parted. You'll figure it out.
    • Turning down dead channels WILL make the bar owner happy if he sees you do it.
    • Put the requested songs you absolutely hate on the break CD.
    • She's probably married...to that big drunk motherfucker standing at the bar.
    Last edited by cyberfiddl; 03.07.05 at 03:25 PM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

. Never leave your wallet backstage.
    . Simple is always best.
    . If you can do it cheaper, do it cheaper.
    . A $2000 guitar is really going to only impress other guitarists. Eddie Van Halen impressed zillions of guitarists with a guitar that was maybe worth $300.
    .Practice when you can.
    . Practice and rehersal is not the same as stage or studio time.
    . There's always going to be somebody better than you.
    . You are probably better than you think you are.
    . The average person doesn't know jack about guitar but they know what they like. You should respect that.
    . At a gig, keep your equipment in sight at all times.
    . There are two kinds of guitarists: One who's had a stomp-box stolen and the other who will have a stomp-box stolen.
    . Never tollerate a musician who's a theif. It is your duty to make sure that everyone knows that this person is bad news, thus driving him from music.
    . Chicks dig guitar players. Remember, it's what they think you are not who you actually are. When you stop playing guitar the girls will vanish before you close the last clip on your guitar case.

. Throw away your crappy cables and chords. Don't put them back in with the rest of your gear. They aren't going to repair themselves magically.
    . Everytime you walk into a music store buy a couple of picks. Eventually you will have at least one pick everywhere that you go.
    . Keep a backup pick in your wallet.
    . Clip your excess string at the winding peg. It looks lame and you can shock the other guitarist or bass player when they bump into the strings.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    . Never leave your wallet backstage.
    . Simple is always best.
    . If you can do it cheaper, do it cheaper.
    . The average person doesn't know jack about guitar but they know what they like. You should respect that.
    These are GREAT points!!
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Human's Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:07 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl
    • If it feels good, do it.
    • Karaoke is the work of satan.
    • DJs belong on the radio.
    • If someone tells you "it will be good for the exposure", it probably won't be. Prepare to play for free.
    • If a bar owner says "but Band X plays for less money", hunt down Band X and kill them.
    • When a patron says "play something we can dance to", they are actually saying "play everything last week's band played".
    • Learn Brown-Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally, and Turn The Page. When asked to play those songs just say you don't know them. Why learn them? See next...
    • There is a sucker born every minute. A fool and his money are soon parted. You'll figure it out.
    • Turning down dead channels WILL make the bar owner happy if he sees you do it.
    • Put the requested songs you absolutely hate on the break CD.
    • She's probably married...to that big drunk motherfucker standing at the bar.
    I like these, hehe. Espessally "Karaoke is the work of satan.", when my band was auditioning singer, alot fo the singers that would reply to our ad, said that they sounded great singin Karaoke at there local pub on Sat. night, that's when l'd hang up the phone.

Riddick.

Hot For Teacher Eddie's Little Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

05.25.07 @ 05:14 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

-Play anywhere for anyone
    -Dont rely on someone else to make things happen for you
    -Learn your songs a couple different ways in case you break a string in the middle of a song.
    -Solo
    -If you fuck up on stage, keep going. The only people who notice are you and maybe your band.
    -Pretend to drink more that you really do. you dont want to be too fucked up on stage. Nothing good comes of that. But you dont want to look like a pussy either. Drink all you want after the show.
    -Take pictures of all your gear and write down the serial numbers.
    -Dont be afraid to have energy on stage. Move around /smile. Interact with your other band members. Make eveyone in the auidence think that you're having a better time than they are.
    -Wear you guitar a little lower than you are used to. Dont look like a dipshit with it up by your nipples.
    -Stretch your hands before you play
    -Bring a dry shirt to put on when your set is done. Chicks dont like to hug up on sweaty, smelly guys. Even if you are in a band.
    -in your gig bag at all times have the following. Duct tape, 9V batteries, picks, strings, Phillips head Screw Driver, Flashlight, EXTRA CHORDS
    -EVERY GUITAR PLAYER IN YOUR BAND SHOULD HAVE 2 GUITARS WITH THEM AT EVERY GIG. Nothing looks worse than having to change strings on stage.
    -If you have a mic, dont talk in it unless your are A) Funny B) the lead Singer
    -A manager is only as good as the gigs he gets you. Never Have a Friend Be your manager. You will hate you manager at some point. ALways Have a friend Looking over your managers Shoulder.
    -Girlfriends and bands DO NOT MIX-Period. If your girlfriend wants to have a say in the band, then tell her to pick up a fucking instument. Other than that, tell her to stay the hell out of it. You bandmates will respect you for it.(although, they need to do the same with their women)
    -Have one bank account that all money from gigs goes into. That whay when the band needs something no one gets shafted to cover the Singers share.If some one leaves the band give them their equal share and say goodbye -less headaches this way.
    -No matter what, Treat your bassist with respect. Try finding another one worth a damn.
    -If you have an idea for a song, jsut keep playing at practice untill someone A) punches you, b)the band starts to jam on it.
    -Cover songs are cool if you do them right. Spend time finding ones that work for you.
    -Always play it cool with other bands. You never know when you'll need their amp suddenly.
    -Dont set off fireworks on stage
    -Save the money to record in A REAL STUDIO. Some guys living room is not a real studio. Trust me on this. The difference IS AMAZING

-If you open for Third Eye Blind and Stepehn Jenkins laughs at your equipment, Just Remind him He's Stephen Jenkins from 3EB

Fuck, I could go on and on...
    Last edited by Eddie's Little Monster; 03.07.05 at 08:04 PM.
    now more than ever, the world needs Eddie Van Halen
    -Alchemy

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie's Little Monster

-Wear you guitar a little lower than you are used to. Dont look like a dipshit with it up by your nipples...

ROTFL! No doubt!
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Heh!

These are great.

Can someone elaborate on this one for me? Dead channels ... what?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl

Hot For Teacher Eddie's Little Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

05.25.07 @ 05:14 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I thought of some more...

-Hitting your drummers cymbals with the head of your guitar only looks cool if you're are in Whitesnake. In real life it just fucks things up.

-If your best friend carries equipment for you and the band, then buy him a beer or two and say thanks.

-as a band watch "Some kind of Monster" and then Realize it never gets easier than you have it right now. Enjoy.

-Practice somewhere free of distractions and turn off your cell phones. No song ever got written while the drummers kid fucks around with the hi hat and the bass player makes kissy noises on the phone.

-Unless you can play like Eddie note for note, and I mean note for note, NEVER GO ON STAGE WITH YOUR HOME MADE FRANKESTRAT.

-Wear Earplugs at practice

-You dont need Tattoos and ear rings to look cool.

-2 alka seltzers 32 oz of water and a liter of gatorade will cure any hangover.

-Play without distortion at least 30 minutes a day

-If you're not an artist, then dont try to design your cd covers/flyers- THEY LOOK LIKE SHIT Get someone with a sense of design to do it. Most times they'll be happy just to be associated with the band.

-don't swing around suddenly and smack your drummer in the head with your bass. Tends to knock fuckers out.

-Unless you're playing outdoors during the daytime, dont wear shorts on stage. you look stupid. Also, there is a reason why 99.9% of musicians wear black on stage. Video tape your next show and see why. (very slimming)

-know your equipment inside and out. if something goes wrong, 99.9% of the time its something that you can fix in less than 20 seconds.

-If someone asks you if your amp goes to 11, just nod your head and
    smile.

-yelling "play freebird" is not cool and not funny. You deserve the right to be pummeled

-Actually playing "Freebird" would be about the coolest thing you could do.

-NEVER TURN DOWN FREE SHOTS

-Nine times outta ten you can see her titties- you just have to ask from stage

-Always collect the money at the end of the night with at least one other band member present. NEVER GIVE IT TO THE DRUMMERS WIFE TO HANG ON TO.

-last but not least -- ALWAYS TAKE A SHIT BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE HOUSE FOR A SHOW. YOU NEVER WANT TO SHIT AT THE BAR AND YOU DONT WANT THAT SHIT KICKING IN ON STAGE.
    Last edited by Eddie's Little Monster; 03.08.05 at 01:09 AM.
    now more than ever, the world needs Eddie Van Halen
    -Alchemy

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lil'devil
    Heh!

These are great.

Can someone elaborate on this one for me? Dead channels ... what?
    A dead channel is an unused channel on the mixing board. Label it "Master Volume" if the bar owner/manager is a dick.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:09 AM
    Liked 4,807 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Good posts.

Only ones I can think up are...

90% of the audience cannot play guitar, bass or drums. Unless the song falls apart, they will not hear your mistakes nor will they care.

Interact with the audience. If you are playing a solo, show it to the crowd. Not the bass player. You can look at your neck but don't look at your shoes.

Bring extra fuses and tubes (if needed) to every gig.

Thank your regulars personally inbetween sets. They are your built in crowd.

Have your singer mention something about tipping the bartenders to the crowd. They are the ones who will give a report on your band. Keep them happy.

Remember a bar only cares whether they make money. Encourage your friends to spend money at the bar

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.19.05 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default So true...So true

Ha ha....these are awsome...
    They remind me of the giging days around Daytona Beach..

SO many are so true...
    The one that I really like is smile
    When you play at home your a musician/guitarplayer..
    When you play out your a entertainer too...
    You have to be able to work the audieance...
    most importantly...play with passion...do what you feel....
    Some said "Your probably better than you think you are" That may be true...

One night I decided to turn up the amp and let it wail...I just went for it...to my surprise I got a $100 dollar tip straight up and a huge standing ovation..(to some a $100 bucks in one song is a mediocore tip but hey..its money...and no I didnt split it with the band)

Oh yeah and if you fuck up...your probably the only one who really did notice so dont, dont stop!..especially if you break a string or something
    Hell, you could always pull a Pete and smash it to shit....

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Playing Live:

. If you stress out about screwing up, you are going to screw up.
    . If you are playing a set with more than four songs - you are going screw up somewhere. How you learn to deal with this fact seperates the wheat from the chaff.
    . Plan as much as you can ahead of time. Who's driving, who's meeting who where and when.
    . Show up early, walk the place and talk with the bar staff. See what the crowd is like on this night you play, get horror stories and find out which bands kicked ass. Find out why.
    . If the crowd is digging a particular song - stretch it ooouuuttt. Add two minutes to the guitar solo OR is you are blessed with a great singer then let him/her vamp.
    . Requests - if you know the song then go ahead and play it. If not have some fun. We learned a Van Halenized version of the Sessame Street theme, that way when somebody yell out "Play Freebird!", we'd say "Does it goe like this?" and then launch into it. Everybody got a kick out of it. If somebody later requested "Sessame Song", we'd play "Freebird" and I'd sing it in Kermit the Frog's voice.

Practice
    . Set up the exact way that you will when you play live. If you have problems hearing the other members you will find out and correct the problem.
    . Practice setting up and breaking down. If you are playing a venue with multiple bands this is an important skill. There is nothing worse than waiting for a bunch of waste-oids to get their shit off stage. There are many shitty bands out there that get gigs simple because they can get in and out fast.
    . No one except the band should be at rehersal. Designate one night a week "Friends & Family" night and then lets everyone come by.
    . Beers either before or after practice - never durring. If you are serious about your band and your music then this isn't a problem.
    . If you have a problem with a band member deal with it immediately. Have a heart-to-heart or a face-off but air your grievence right then. If something bugs you now then it will piss you off in a few years and you'll...I don't know...fire your lead singer after five platinum albums because you are sick of his shit. Thus pissing off half of your fan base
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:34 PM
    Liked 728 Times in 345 Posts

-If you drink, have about 3 to 4 drinks during equipment set-up, then lay off until the end of the second set.

-If someone from another band that you know is in the audience, always offer to let them get up and play a song with you, but do it during a break, never from the stage.

-Do not, under any circumstances, let someone you don't know get up and play with you!

-Watch "School of Rock". Practice all the patented gimmicks accordingly.

-Never announce an original song before you play it. Only announce it afterwards, IF it goes over well.

-If everyone is up dancing, don't kill it with a slow song. Keep it rocking.

-Always try to go straight from one song to another with no pause for at least 4 songs in a row, then stop and talk to the crowd.

-Always remind the audience to tip the bar staff, and advertise any drink specials for the bar.

-Even on those nights where only 10 or 15 people are in the bar, act like you are playing in front of a stadium full of people.

-Don't tell jokes unless you are funny. People are there to see a band, not a comedy act.

-Keep in mind that most people are in the bar to get drunk and get laid, not to see you.

-Don't be a statue. Move around the stage.

-If a bar screws you over, tell every band that you know about it, and never play there again.

-Know your limitations. Don't try to sing Journey if you have a voice like Lou Reed.

-4x12 cabinets look cool, but are overkill for most clubs you will be playing. Don't kill yourself. Buy a good 1x12 combo.

-Effects can be your worst enemy.

-If you have two guitar players in the band, let the better one play the leads.

-60% of your time at practice should be devoted to vocal harmonies.

-Always keep your guitar stand as far from the edge of the stage as possible to prevent some drunk asshole from stumbling over you monitor and knocking your guitar over.

-If the drunk asshole stumbles over the monitor towards you while you are playing, don't be afraid to kick him in the fucking head.

-If the bar you are playing at furnishes free drinks for the band, never sneak some to your friends in the audience.

-Never wear a "costume" when you play. You will look like an ass-clown.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos
    -If someone from another band that you know is in the audience, always offer to let them get up and play a song with you, but do it during a break, never from the stage.

-Do not, under any circumstances, let someone you don't know get up and play with you!
    You better make sure it's cool with the person paying you first. I've played places where it is NOT cool.