Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Default To the Splawn owners...

I think I saw one owner of these on here. Can anyone shed some light on the overall amp and not just the Eddie Rhythm tone? i.e, How's the clean channel/3rd channel? What amps would you compare these sounds to? Intrigued, but I just can't buy an amp for an Eddie tone. Does this amp make dictate all tones of those who play through it, or will it vary from player to player?

Thanks in advance...
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mk5
    I think I saw one owner of these on here. Can anyone shed some light on the overall amp and not just the Eddie Rhythm tone? i.e, How's the clean channel/3rd channel? What amps would you compare these sounds to? Intrigued, but I just can't buy an amp for an Eddie tone. Does this amp make dictate all tones of those who play through it, or will it vary from player to player?

Thanks in advance...
    Finally, the voice of reason, and someone who's actually thinking, and understands there's more to being a guitarist than looking for the best eruption tone.
    Sorry if I'm coming off as sarcastic, but at today's prices an amp should be "versatile", unless you're happy to play in a VH tribute for the rest of your life.
    Nice to see some people are thinking ahead.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.14.05 @ 07:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i own a 1959slp reissue with kt88's.

i play alot of power chord punk rock but sometimes throw in a VH cover to impress the ladies.

the channel switching i've noticed does not make a huge difference in tone. you can feel a little bit of a mid boost but not really enough to count as a solo boost but i'm the only guitar player so it doesn't matter.

the amp does not clean up well with the volume knob. i have a jubilee which cleans up better becuse i don't have the footswitch for it and use the volume knob.

the amp though does sound good for my green day-ish tone and it cuts through well. definitely gets the van halen tone but it seems to have trouble doing low-gain and cleans. then agai i have kt88's and would rather have el34's. i got mine used for $1000 and that's about how much it's worth.

i'd personally check out the peavy XXX. I work at a music store and demoed one for a customer for a good hour and it sounded fantastic for all applications. plus you can get one for almost half of a splawn (1200-600) on ebay. it's also more versitile and has better channel switching with different EQ. I have been considering selling the splawn and getting a XXX because it's definitely more versitile and will make me $500.