Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

05.30.05 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Acoustic Guitars

I am going to buy an acoustic guitar and would like to hear some opinions on your favorites. I am leaning towards a Gibson J45 Rosewood or the Songwriter Deluxe Cutaway.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Maybe I will get a kazoo instead. Anyone with opinions on a favorite kazoo?

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Kazoos--Get the plastic ones. They are cheaper and resonate better than the metal ones. Get extra "paper" for the sound in case excessive playing wears the original out.

Guitars--I have never played either of the Gibsons you mentioned, but as far as my favorites, I am partial to Martins and Seagulls. I have a Seagull S6C that is by far one of my better decisions in life. The whole line is really quite spectacular. As far as Martins go, the J-40 and D-18V are unbelievable to my ears. Pricey, but oh so nice. Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by mk5; 03.07.05 at 11:06 AM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Does the plastic kazoo have a more cleaner sound than the metal one?

Thanks mk5.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAngel

Thanks mk5.
    LOL. The plastic kazoo has a darker tone to it, and obviously with it's metal structure, the metal one is brighter and louder. If you want cleaner, I'd go with the metal, but if your name holds true, the "darker" sound is probably more up your alley.
    Last edited by mk5; 03.07.05 at 11:36 AM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I am going to buy an acoustic guitar and would like to hear some opinions on your favorites. I am leaning towards a Gibson J45 Rosewood or the Songwriter Deluxe Cutaway.
    Since you're shopping in an mid-level price range, I'd personally take a look at the Taylor guitars. This is my personal opinion, but I think they are a better playing guitar than the Gibson's and Martins. Again, this is my opinion, not a steadfast rule. The Martins are an extremely good sounding guitar, however, their initial setup lacks alot. If you're set on the Gibson's, my personal favorite is the Hummingbird. You may need to play a couple to find the right sound, but they are nice as well.

Let us know what you decide.

Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I do like the Taylors also. A lot of choices but the problem is trying them out when none of the local music stores carry any of the Taylors, Gibsons and so on.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

all...and the 14th one too!
    Favorite VH Song

there the sound track\'s of my life...and you want "1"
    Last Online

06.29.05 @ 06:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mk5 is right...the seagulls are great sounding guitars...infact i just bought one last week ...after looking at tons of other models...i found as the price went up ...the sound quaility did too..and ya be prepared to spend a couple of hours on your selection..from store to groups of models...my fingers were dam sore after the first couple of days of strumming...i wish ya ton of luck on finding what you feel is the best sound for your dollar's

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I played a Seagull yesterday and was very pleased. I also tried a Alvarez Yairi that I also liked. Choices, choices. Just when you think you made your mind up.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

all...and the 14th one too!
    Favorite VH Song

there the sound track\'s of my life...and you want "1"
    Last Online

06.29.05 @ 06:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

do yourself a favor...go to Harmany Central.com...and check out the guitar reviews...if you have the model #...even the make might work... theres a ton of reviews that you might find interesting...the seagull i have has a 9.8 rating.its done but people that own them and praise them... or flame them ...give it a check!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.14.05 @ 07:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A&Z Guitar Repair
    Since you're shopping in an mid-level price range, I'd personally take a look at the Taylor guitars. This is my personal opinion, but I think they are a better playing guitar than the Gibson's and Martins. Again, this is my opinion, not a steadfast rule. The Martins are an extremely good sounding guitar, however, their initial setup lacks alot. If you're set on the Gibson's, my personal favorite is the Hummingbird. You may need to play a couple to find the right sound, but they are nice as well.

Let us know what you decide.

Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair
    don't buy the martin dx series. i work at a shop and all of them have warped necks and even the good ones we sold have come back with warped necks. and this is in a humidified room. the mid-higher end martins are fine though.

gibson's are excellent but they are extremely overpriced because of the name. taylor's are also good but some think they're a little bright.

my personal favorite acoustic was a guild d4. $350 for a solid mahogany guitar. i personally just bought a guild d50ce for $750 (around $2k new) and the guitar is actually comoing in tomorrow. if i like the sound then it's gong on ebay and i'm going to buy a d4 and save mysef about $500.

also try out high-end takaminis. at my store there is one that sells for $1200 and is the best sounding acoustic we have, better then the $2k hummingbird or the $3500 gibson custom shop jumbo. i don't have the model right now though.

personally i took a risk on the $750 guild but it was worth it to save me $1000. if you find something in the shop that blows everything else away, grab it. the used guild d4 i played in the shop and the new takamine are the best sounding acoustic's i've played.

On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just purchased the Breedlove AD25 SR Plus. Incredible. Has a JLD bridge truss system that adds to the sound and sustain.

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/prod.../ad25_sr_plus/

I purchased a pre-cut bone saddle from www.fqms.com that just popped right in which added to the fullness.

The other thing I learned (to quickly loosen up the top) is to set it in front of your stereo speakers when you're not home with the volume cranked. This mimics the vibration of hours of playing it to loosen it up or playing out on stage with the vibration of amps, drums, etc.,). You might think this is crazy but after about 20-30 hours of doing this over a few days, the guitar sounds beautiful....

Chris

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thanks for all the info. Breedlove guitars are way out of my spending budget.
    Great looking guitars though. I did try a Guild d4 once a while back and liked it. I think your right about the Gibsons being pricy because of the name. Taylors are a little to bright sounding but have nice feel and action.

On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Think again if you're looking at Taylors. It was $800. No case so another $90. Got it at Elderly Instruments here in town (Lansing, MI). Here's a link with pics.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instrumen...ms/AD25SRP.htm

It comes with a micarta saddle which I think works best with an under saddle pickup but since 99% of the time I am unplugged I put in the bone. Micarta is a little flat sounding. I also tried a Tusq saddle (which is what Taylor uses). It was a little 'raw' and trebly and not as full as the bone (although better than the micarta but still not as good as the bone).

Also, I have never been a big fan of a cutaway since they tend to take away from tone and volume but this guitar has the JLD bridge truss system and the lower bout is an inch wider that your typical dreadnaught. This guitar has incredible volume and tone. I A/B'd it against a used/'broken in' Breedlove at Elderly listed at $2150 (also a bone saddle) and it sounded just as good (and let me tell you, I am neurotic about tone).

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-8839.htm

Let me say that you need to play an acoustic and hear it for yourself. Do not buy one off the internet. Everyone has in their head what an acoustic is supposed to sound like so don't go by someone elses review. Also, A/B the guitar you like with a Taylor, highend Breedlove, etc.,. This guitar I bought sounded better than the Taylor 710 I tried.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Martin. I had a neck on a 12 string I bought new from Elderly CRACK after 15 months and they denied covering it under their lifetime warranty (said it had to have been dropped which it wasn't). They are a fat bloated company that is not interested in taking care of the small guy. Fuck em. As you can see I did not buy a new Martin, did I? And I'm passing this horror story on to everyone that reads this. Elderly repaired the crack at no cost to me since they said it was a bullshit answer, too.

Chris
    Last edited by nast2112; 03.10.05 at 02:41 PM.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thanks mk5.
    Ya know, EVH built his frankenkazoo out of spare parts...not this off the shelf stuff kids buy today.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane