Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts

You see, the above post is why this is great, because out of all of us here I truly respect seen's knowledge and backgroung for some of the tech stuff...as many of my clubs were "inherited" from my dad, who gave me his full set before he passed away.

I've always been a "grip it and rip it" guy, and that extends to guitar playing as well: "A poor carpenter blames his tools" (you guessed it: 10 years in construction ).

I simply can't answer that stuff, and I thank seenbad for stepping up to the plate.

As for analysis...Honda Classic starts at 4pm(EST) coverage-wise. My heart sort of went out of it when the tour left Coral Springs (15 minute drive) for Palm Beach (over an hour).

Honestly haven't had time to survey the field, as most eyes (locally, anyway) are focused on the TPC at Sawgrass...plus the fact that my job blows chunks all over the dashboard of my life.

Back to the Honda: Not much thrill watching these guys hit amongst condos...hell, if I want, I can go hit balls off surrounded by a trailer park at my local course.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

02.19.20 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1,101 Times in 712 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Thanks, Seen, good to know I'm on the right track. What I think I need to do is make better use of the gap wedge. I'm actually pretty good at partial wedges, I have to be on my home course, it's short. I could probably use a new 60 LW, I have an old (10 years or so) Golfsmith brand blade. But, I just can't seem to pull the trigger on a new one. I really don't use it a ton, just around the green if I have to pop it over a bunker or something, or short chips. Sometimes I'm feeling it and hit it from the fairway, but never over 50 yards. I'm more comfortable hitting a partial SW than a full LW. Which is a problem, actually. I just don't put in the practice I should.

The new bafflers don't have those rails. It's actually got a bigger face than the Cobra 5-wood. I'm looking forward to hitting it. I don't hit my 3 wood that well off the ground, so I'm hoping this will give me some better distance and forgiveness than my 3 iron. I get a little snappy with the 3 iron, or I should say I get a little snappy with my irons period, it's just more pronounced with the long irons. I can get them up in the air, my 3 iron looks like a freakin 200 yard 9 iron flight wise, but I'm just not consistent enough with the direction. Fuck, I'm just not a very good ball striker when it comes down to it. I'm all over the face.

BTW, I'm jealous as Hell, that course looks like it's got some outright sick views of the Mtns. You suck.

We have another storm coming in this weekend. Maybe this will finally be it. Somehow I doubt it. 22 storms that left measurable amounts of snow here this year. I really need to get the fuck out of here for a weekend. Just too goddamn busy.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

02.19.20 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 153 Posts

Donor

Those ain't just mountains man, that's mt st. helly. Course is built over its' ash too, about six feet of it. You would NOT believe the drainage. You could play that course on Christmas and get a 30 yard roll on the ball. That's saying a lot for the pacnw.

Your 3 sounds pretty high. Dangerous without seeing your swing, but I'd guess your hands need to be more in front of your swing (clubhead) at the moment of impact. Your getting too much loft and either lucky or really compensating somewhere else if youre not fading/slicing. On your finish, do you feel 95 percent of your weight on your left foot? Or are you coming back to finish with it on your right?
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

I just hit a very high ball. It's not a balloon, and I don't lose distance except into the wind, it's just very high. I have a pretty upright swing, and I get a little steep coming in, which combined with a swing speed that approaches tour speeds and 6'7" of leverage...

My snappiness comes from my hands. I have a tendency to slide my hips and stop my turn (sometimes it's not finishing the back swing, sometimes I stop coming through), which causes my hands to flip through the zone. When I hit the timing right, it's a thing of beauty, but when I don't, the club face is either wide open or dead shut. Neither of which is conducive to keeping the ball in play. When I turn, I shoot 80 (my short game just isn't sharp enough to go lower, which I'm cool with right now, since I just don't have the time to get it better), when I slide, I lose 6-10 strokes on tee shots OB or out of play.

I've been working with a buddy of mine who is a head pro at a course, but now it's just the same thing over and over. I slide, I get out of synch, and all kinds of bad things happen. Bottom line, I don't practice nearly enough, and I'm not in good enough shape. My sliding gets more pronounced as I get tired, which happens when you're a fat bastard like me.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Donor

i thought i was the only golf fanatic on the boards!!!
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Well IED, I'll have no pity on you if you're shooting 80. lol. I think I'd be doing well if I could hold to a 12 hcp right now. I'm going to start grinding a little this year. Less fishing (which I just seem to realllllly suck at), which has taken me away from the game the last few years, and more golfing.

Watch that sliding, man. I used to do that too. It put me in the hospital once. haha. Sounds dumb, but yes, I had a sports injury.....from golf. I was sliding, not turning, and it put so much pressure on my left side hip/ball socket that it got swollen. Overnight if filled with fluid and when I went to get out of bed, I literally collapsed when I put weight on it....that sucked. Hurt very bad. That's called learning to trasfer your weight/turn the hard way.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Yup - I've had hip problems with my front hip, mostly tendinitis. I have some real tightness in there, and have to stretch out or it gets real angry at me. My front foot definitley rolls and twists, I put a lot of tourque in the swing.

Heh - I didn't say I'm shooting 80, I said when I turn properly I do. Which doesn't happen all that much. Actually, even that is getting into a pattern. Every year I'll have a run of about a month where I shoot enough 80-85's to keep my handicap between 10-12. Then the rest of the year I'm struggling to break 90.

I hate the fucking game, but I can't wait to get out there

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

WIND!!

I hate playing in major wind. Great view of the mountain, pretty day, but I hate to say it.....I shot a 90 on my first round of the year. Fairway to green wasn't bad, but the flatstick was NOT cooperating with me.....aka, I couldn't read/make jack shit. I must have set a record for number of 3 putts in a round. It was hell....but I can't wait for the next round.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.15.14 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Shit, your playing golf already Seen? Christ, the sticks won't be out around here for at least another month. Friggin snow, got another 6 inches yesterday.
    You can twist perceptions
    Reality won't budge

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Panama, you play? If so, we should get together for a round some time.

Seen, with my high ball, I absolutely suck in the wind. I have been trying to hit a lower ball for years, I'm just too steep into the shot to do it. Wind is just brutal to my game. Rain is another story, I've actually shot some great rounds in the rain. Wind, I'm done.

I'd take a fucking 100 right now, I just need to get out there. Okay, so I wouldn't take a 100, but I would settle for a 95 We got another 5-6 inches yesterday - THIS SUCKS.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.17.11 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

When does Fantasy Golf start?
    \m/_ _\m/

Gibbo

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.15.14 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by IED
    Panama, you play? If so, we should get together for a round some time.

Seen, with my high ball, I absolutely suck in the wind. I have been trying to hit a lower ball for years, I'm just too steep into the shot to do it. Wind is just brutal to my game. Rain is another story, I've actually shot some great rounds in the rain. Wind, I'm done.

I'd take a fucking 100 right now, I just need to get out there. Okay, so I wouldn't take a 100, but I would settle for a 95 We got another 5-6 inches yesterday - THIS SUCKS.

IED, I only play maybe once or twice a year now. Usually when my boss gets us into a tournament. I would love to play more but years of landscaping has ruined my back and shoulders and even one round of golf really messes me up for a few days. I am trying to get in better shape though so maybe down the road a piece we could get in a round.
    You can twist perceptions
    Reality won't budge

Last Online

I rarely speak for others at this site, yet I feel I can openly speak for Wray, seen and myself when I state that we were very pleased with the ending to the Honda Classic yesterday.

Nice 18 inch putt there, VJ!

Wow, Harrington came back from being like 7 strokes down to make the play-off, as did Ogilvy being 9 down...an event record!

I thought the TPC was next week, I was wrong...sorry.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Feel free to speak for me, craig. I can't stand Vijay. In fact, I'd rather see Sergio win, and I can't stand him either.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by IED
    Feel free to speak for me, craig. I can't stand Vijay. In fact, I'd rather see Sergio win, and I can't stand him either.

Amen!

I loved that sour look on his puss, and also enjoyed Harrington's reaction as he mouthed the words "Oh My God...".

Did anyone else see some of the antics of that Perez dude? Two words: anger management. It finally got so bad that NBC refused to cover him, even though he was in contention for the lead at a few points.

I always refer to the old joke: "Why do they call it golf? Because "fuck" was taken!"

...craig
    George Bernard Shaw