Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 56 12341151 ... LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Official VHL Golf

These threads usually fall off the page after a few hours, yet what the hell...

The PBA Tour swings into my backyard this week, with the Ford Championship at Doral (what a clunky name, why not "The Ford Doral Open"? ).

11 of the the top 12 players in the world (minus Earnie Els) will be teeing it up, and not through some controversy: It would appear that the event sponsor (Ford) gave out some pretty hefty fees for certain players to play in some local Ford events, thus roping in several hot players.

This is not an appearance fee paid to the players for the event, it is a loophole that allows the players to be paid for showing up to little pro-ams and hobknob with Ford excecutives and suppliers, usually early in the week (Phil Mickelson played in an event at a private club not a half mile from our apartment on Monday).

The weather is overcast, with a hint of rain and surprisingly cool: 66-70 degrees, supposed to improve for the weekend.

As of 3 pm(est), Phil shares the lead at 64, 8 under with Jose Maria Olazabal and some guy you never heard of, Brian Davis.

Tiger is hot on his ass, at 6 under on the back nine.

I'm supposed to be going tomorrow, yet I'm not holding my breath as the source for my passes is not quite what one would call dependable (we set this up TWO MONTHS AGO, still no credential. ).

Anyway, this is when I declare it "Golf Season".

After Australian Craig Parry's astonishing shot to win at the 18th in sudden death last year, I'm all over this event like white on rice.

Besides...NASCAR's going to fucking Mexico this weekend.

Get out the clubs folks, let the games begin!

...craig
    Last edited by chefcraig; 03.03.05 at 01:00 PM. Reason: You spell "Olazabal", pronounced "O-la-tha-ball"
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Olive um
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!!
    Last Online

06.14.13 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been to the Doral Open a couple of times. A few years ago I followed John Daly around for the day. It was a cool way to spend a day. At the time I lived across the street, so I could tip quite a few and walk right home. I know the season has started when I know I can't afford to golf for a few months. Man, they really jack up the green fees at this time. I'll spend this time watching others and hopefully improve my game. Yeah right, like that will ever happen. Hey Craig, lets go hit a few one day...

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by TopTimi
    I know the season has started when I know I can't afford to golf for a few months. Man, they really jack up the green fees at this time.

Hey Craig, lets go hit a few one day...
    Well, you and I have talked about this before: Even the "dirt mound" around the corner from the pub is getting ridiculous rates now...and I can walk there with my clubs.

Always willing to hit a few, bro...uhhh do you mean beers or golf balls? Hopefully, many of both!

Sweet Jesus, you and me on a golf course, getting loaded...only in Florida.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I plan on lounging around Sunday Afternoon watching some of this. I think I'm selling my car/buying a new one saturday so I'll miss moving day but I'll try to catch the final round.

Have fun Craig! We're not a suitable climate up here in the pacnw for the tour to stop by I guess so I have to live vicariously through your fun and games.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad
    I plan on lounging around Sunday Afternoon watching some of this. I think I'm selling my car/buying a new one saturday so I'll miss moving day but I'll try to catch the final round.

Have fun Craig! We're not a suitable climate up here in the pacnw for the tour to stop by I guess so I have to live vicariously through your fun and games.
    I hear ya, seen...2 more points of interest:

Tiger finished up at 7 under, 1 off the lead.

Olazobal does not have his card for this season, he needs to do well (not sure precisely where he needs to finish) to remain on the tour.

Some observations...after several hard fairway drives, Tiger started clutching his back again...it is currently raining here, very cool with a breeze, greens may be somewhat sticky tomorrow am, yet with the overcast sky, may not dry out by the afternoon.

Mickelson did indeed birdie the 18, the "Blue Monster...watch for it's fangs to sharpen over the weekend, as this is only Thursday, and we already have a bunched up field. People are going to try the impossible with this cutting, cold wind: Trying to go across the water...the shots will be spectacular, in their triumph or failure.

...craig
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

I hear ya, seen...2 more points of interest:

Tiger finished up at 7 under, 1 off the lead.

Olazobal does not have his card for this season, he needs to do well (not sure precisely where he needs to finish) to remain on the tour.

Some observations...after several hard fairway drives, Tiger started clutching his back again...it is currently raining here, very cool with a breeze, greens may be somewhat sticky tomorrow am, yet with the overcast sky, may not dry out by the afternoon.

Mickelson did indeed birdie the 18, the "Blue Monster"...watch for it's fangs to sharpen over the weekend, as this is only Thursday, and we already have a bunched up field. People are going to try the impossible with this cutting, cold wind: Trying to go across the water...the shots will be spectacular, in their triumph or failure.

...craig
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Well, that was one of the better final rounds I've seen in years. Awsome suspense with the worlds two best (imo).

Lefty lefty lefty.....It's a shame. I thought that chip on 18 was in but it seems pretty transparent now as to why he missed it.

Now I don't care what goes on in other peoples personal lives, but good lord Phil, time and place man. Time and place.

Last Online

Well, that was one of the better final rounds I've seen in years. Awsome suspense with the worlds two best (imo).

Right on! It truly was a dogfight, a true nail biter.

I wish that NBC would have showed the whole round, as they teed off here (local time) at 1:45pm, yet the coverage started around 3:10pm, as the basketball game ran long.

TPC at Sawgrass (and the "island hole 17th!) in 2 weeks!

...craig
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

Here it is...

With much appreciation to BrewCrew, this is the final destination for all you duffers out there, and since we are in the minority, there is no need to "sticky" this thread.

I'll try to keep this updated, yet I won't be covering every tournament, as I wind up working weekends frequently...however: If you wish to discuss equipment, why you can't find your balls ( ), John Daly going off the wagon and kicking ass in a bar fight, this is the place.

TopTimi is on his way over, as we are planning on hitting the driving range at my local course...yet it's raining, so we'll probably end up drinking beer and playing guitars, which ain't such a bad thing!

Thanks again to BREWCREW.

Golf on!
    ...craig
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now I don't care what goes on in other peoples personal lives, but good lord Phil, time and place man. Time and place.

Good to see Tiger back at the top. I just don't like Vijay, for some reason...

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Wray

Good to see Tiger back at the top. I just don't like Vijay, for some reason...

Well...I need to be careful here, as I don't want a lawsuit from the prick, yet Wray: there is much to dislike about him.

Smarmy business deals involving himself and his halfwit brother, his utter lack of regard for women, his penny-pinching...I will not go into detail publicly, yet if you smell a rat, chances are...

...craig
    Last edited by chefcraig; 03.08.05 at 10:39 AM. Reason: VJ sucks...
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

I actually played a round with his half-wit brother once about 4 years ago. He took an EASY ten bucks off me. At that time he was on the euro tour I think?

Favorite VH Album

Olive um
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!!
    Last Online

06.14.13 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TopTimi is on his way over, as we are planning on hitting the driving range at my local course...yet it's raining, so we'll probably end up drinking beer and playing guitars, which ain't such a bad thing!

Yep, the beer was cold, music loud, munchies grubbin', and chef a chuggin'.

No golf today, but we'll hit yet another day. As long as there is liquid refreshment.........I'm cool........Thanks Chef, you're the best.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

That was a great final round. PGA tour has a stop up here over Labor Day, I haven't gone as of yet. Maybe this year. I went a couple of times when they played the old tourney up here in Sutton, MA back 10 years or so. And I was at the Ryder Cup in Brookline. It's a blast watching them play, it really slows my swing down watching how effortless they swing.

I have a SERIOUS golf itch going, and it's still fucking dead of winter around here. Argh. I usually play a ton in the fall, but didn't get out much at all with the new baby and all, so I'm hurtin big time now.

I had this whole notion to reconfigure my set - I have 4 wedges as I had a huge gap between the pitching and 56* sand wedge. So, in the fall I bought a 54 degree Callaway X-16 (my set is X-12, my sand and gap wedges are X-14's), figuring I'd drop the gap wedge and add a 5 wood or something. That 54 degree is REALLY heavy though. Don't like it much at all. I was shocked at how much heavier it is than the X-14 I have. Anyway, I just bought one of the new Cobra Baffler hybrids, a 20*, so I might pull my 3 Iron out instead and keep all 4 wedges.

I dunno, we'll see. Man, this weather SUCKS. It'll be a fucking month at least before anything opens around here, and my weekends are too busy or I'd drop in on my bud in Atlanta for a round or two. May have to do that anyway.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by IED
    it really slows my swing down watching how effortless they swing.
    As tall as you are, you're swing speed just mathematically speaking, will be very fast no matter how "hard" you swing the club. Slowing down will be a good move almost no matter who you are, but especially tall guys.

I had this whole notion to reconfigure my set - I have 4 wedges as I had a huge gap between the pitching and 56* sand wedge. So, in the fall I bought a 54 degree Callaway X-16 (my set is X-12, my sand and gap wedges are X-14's), figuring I'd drop the gap wedge and add a 5 wood or something. That 54 degree is REALLY heavy though. Don't like it much at all. I was shocked at how much heavier it is than the X-14 I have. Anyway, I just bought one of the new Cobra Baffler hybrids, a 20*, so I might pull my 3 Iron out instead and keep all 4 wedges.
    I'd say good move there. The more wedges the better as far as I'm concerned. If you consider 75% of the game is 100yds and in, it's imperative that you have a club you're comfortable with for any shot within that distance. I have my 48 ping, a 52 titleist, a 56 mizuno and a 60 cleveland. Quirky, but I feel good with these clubs. I could care less if they match my set. I've got the cushy winn grip on each one of my wedges and putter for feel and touch and a golf pride half cord on the rest of my set. That tells you how much I care about my wedges/short game.

Those old bafflers are great. The rails on the bottom play havoc on range mats and are better off the grass for guaging your distance with them though.

I dunno, we'll see. Man, this weather SUCKS. It'll be a fucking month at least before anything opens around here, and my weekends are too busy or I'd drop in on my bud in Atlanta for a round or two. May have to do that anyway.
    We've had over 70 degrees for a week and another week expected. I'm going up to Tri Mountain Saturday. I'm stoked. Hopefully the mountain isn't done with the fireworks yet. It'll be a killer day.