Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.11.06 @ 07:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Floyd Trem Question

Scenario Question- Could you install a Floyd Rose Trem. in a regular trem. slot easily or would you have to carve out a new hole. If so, how would you do this. This question has been bugging me for a while and the only answer I seem to get is "Don't even try it, just buy a pre-assembled guitar with a floyd unit already built in", but I don't want to do that, I want to build my own! Does anyone have any info.?

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Look dude, Im not exactly a guitar tech, but it can be done, and if you really want to do it then just do it because your taking a risk either way. If you are inexperienced then you are taking a risk simply because you dont have the skills, would you want your guitar to be fucked up after you experiment? if you really want to do it buy a body with nothing on it first get the floyd and figure out a way to do it that way so if you mess up there is no harm done to your main axe. Go find a luthier and ask him, maybe they can help you out, besides if your interested in building guitars thats a good way to start, ask the pros. buy crap guitars first learn that way because in the long run you will be better off.

Last Online

06.12.07 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go here first:

http://www.guitars101.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14258

I looked into this forever. Made more sense to buy one with a Floyd already installed. You can do it, but one wrong move, route too low on the headstock, or crack the body when installing the studs, and you are f*cked.

If you have a Strat with an original Fender (or knockoff) trem, you may be able to install the Floyd with a minor amount of routing in the body. This is all for a floating trem, not recessed. If you want it recessed, you've got to route. The route for the locking nut is also critical to route to the exact heighth.

Check out that above link, judge your own handy skills, gauge your tolerance for regretting a possible point of no return error in the assembly, and make your decision. If it's a cheap Squire, go for it. If it's a signature series Clapton Strat, fugetaboutit.
    Talkin Some New Kicks

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

I'm about to install a FR bridge in a Strat body. Had an American Standard trem before. Need to remove some wood where the trem arm sits for sure. Maybe some from the cavity so the brass block under the trem does not hit. Not sure yet about that, but otherwise it is pretty straightforward. 25 1/2 inches from the nut is where the saddles should be. I don't see a problem with the mounting screws, they are in a different position from the old trem. A little Dremel here and there and I expect to be rockin' in no time! I don't want a floating Floyd, or recessed. I want it flush with the body. Like the EBMM EVH/Axis. Sitting right on top.

Now the nut is another story. I bought a neck from Warmoth and had them route the neck for the FR nut. I'm not confident in my skills to cut out wood for a nut. But it can be done.

Not knowing what I'm doing, I'd be lost without another FR guitar to refer to. I'm using a Wolfgang as a reference point and it helps a great deal.

You can do it! Good luck!