Favorite VH Album

Van Halen,1984,Fuck,
    Favorite VH Song

LUTS,ddl,Amsterdam
    Last Online

03.24.12 @ 06:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Delay Pedal help

I used to own a boss dd3 but found that whenever i'd do a whammy bar dive, on the lead channel of my 5150, it didn't repeat clearly, it just all folded into a crackly sound, does anyone know what i'm talking about?, i need a delay that doesn't do this.

Thanks in advance
    "I talked to the cancer. I told the f*cker the party was over" - Eddie Van Halen

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman". - Homer Simpson

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's understandable if it was in the loop. You were probably overloading the signal. The 5150 isn't good with a lot of pedals in the loop.
    If you were going into the front of the amp it shouldn't happen cause the dd3 is digital and only repeats the guitar's signal, which is very low level.
    Again, I'd suspect the amp, or the cobination of low frequency note your guitar was putting out on the dive, mixed with all the dirt of the 5150's lead signal. If it worked ok on the clean channel, then it's definitely the amp.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen,1984,Fuck,
    Favorite VH Song

LUTS,ddl,Amsterdam
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had it infront of the amp, funny thing is i tried an ibanez and a digitech pedal at my guitar shop on a randall, and it did the exact same thing.
    "I talked to the cancer. I told the f*cker the party was over" - Eddie Van Halen

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman". - Homer Simpson

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.19.05 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default DD-3

I have a Boss DD-3 and it is my fav. delay pedal, however mine is in need of dire repair.

If your getting a crackling or breaking up sound with it...hmmm....I notice that when my battery was is dieing it would start to come out as a broken up or weak delay signal. Im sure youve already checked that out...If you tried other delay pedals and it all sounds the same through your amp..try running the effects through your effects loop instead of out front.....otherwise...its the amp...dont know what to tell ya..

PS. Whats cool about the DD-3 is that you can turn up the repeat pattern so it repeats for a long time and actually turn the time knob and make the pitch dive and drop like your bar does....Ed did this at the end of Eruption by slowing down the tape delay, forever people thought he did it with the whammy bar...but you can do the same effect with the DD-3...cool

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen,1984,Fuck,
    Favorite VH Song

LUTS,ddl,Amsterdam
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you listen to the guitar solo on lrhrn, when ed does the whammy dive with the delay on the fifth fret g string harmonic you can easily make out each note looping over it's self, i had a marshall avt150 with a built in delay, and it was great, it would loop over perfectly just like ed's. but when i tried to do it on the 5150 combo, all the loops kinda merged into one and went all crackly, it's hard to describe. i told the guitar shop owner my problem and he looked at me like i was crazy. I never put it through the loop though, so that may have been the problem. Pilotrcm, what amp are you putting your dd3 through, and do you know what i mean about the 5th fret harmonic dive, he does it during cathedral on lrhrn, one of ed's easier tricks!

cheers

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.19.05 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pleasure..

he he...Im not sure if I remeber what part your refering to...
    but Im thinking....you know what?....Im willing to bet that the amp that had the built in delay you played....did it have more than one speaker?..in many cases and since ed has his 5150 studio with all the cool toys..
    Alota new amps these days encorperate built in effects..like the Fender Cyber Twin..Line 6 etc..if you notice though alot of those amps have 2 speakers....STEREO!
    The sound doesnt bleed together and mush because one distinct speaker plays its one part so not to moosh sounds together they overlap....
    The basic truth is the greatest guitar players never run one amp..hardly...
    They run multiple amps with dif. effects to get a very dinstinctive tone..SRV did it and so does Clapton..or they would run two of the same amps and split the Delay, and other effects to obtain, the awsome echo...without the mono moosh....Id say just buy another 5150...ha ha..and split your delay big $$$, anyway..I use a PODxt so its all stereo..just an idea...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen,1984,Fuck,
    Favorite VH Song

LUTS,ddl,Amsterdam
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for the help guys, i'll probably just keep trying out different pedals and see which one gets close to the sound i'm after.

Cheers