The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

05.19.19 @ 03:31 PM
    Liked 22,815 Times in 13,007 Posts

Premium Member

This rules …

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.19.19 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 1,681 Times in 960 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    If you make good music and more people like it, all of a sudden you're 'pop'.... If you're a punk band and nobody buys your records, then you're 'cool' or something... - EVH.

I can name one song by Motorhead, and can't stand it Never got the appeal. The earlier equivalent to Nirvana to me; Atonal, dissonant noise.
    One of my friends in high school said, "Most bands, you'll say they suck because you just don't like their style of music or something. But Motorhead just truly SUCKS!"

Lemmy seemed like a great guy in his documentary, but yep, I've tried, and it ain't happening for me.

I guess they fall into the "very influential" bin, except I'd 10x rather hear Metallica than Motorhead.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

05.19.19 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 3,940 Times in 1,743 Posts

Premium Member

I really like the Bastards album. His side project Head Cat was my favorite work of his, Motorhead meets rockabilly.

They never were big because they never had the songs, they were not virtuoso musicians and their style is totally in opposition of pop music. That authentic opposition and commitment to it unlike other artists is why among so many in the industry they have fans and admirers. That allowed for a multi decade career but in a way if they ever did get popular broadly it might of been their in end in a way.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.18.19 @ 08:45 AM
    Liked 808 Times in 420 Posts

Motorhead is the very definition of a cult band.

Clearly, Lemmy's gravely voice isn't for everyone, nor their rough and abrasive hard rock sound that never changed from day first to day end. They never truly broke into the mainstream but they built a very solid, consistent and extremely loyal worldwide fanbase and influenced or at least are admired by most of their peers. The band recorded and toured relentlessly their entire career and that's how they built and maintained their fanbase. Kind of like AC/DC and The Ramones, Motorhead can be accused of producing the same album year after year with almost no change in sound or style but Motorhead never really came up with anything that would be considered a radio-friendly single unlike especially AC/DC. Although the lineup around Lemmy changed numerous times the first 20 or so years, once the final lineup stabilized in the early 90's as a trio, it remained unchanged until Lemmy died and the band dissolved. Drummer Mikkey Dee is an incredible hard rock drummer and now drums for The Scorpions.

I was and still am a pretty big fan of the band, I have their entire discography (mostly CD but some of the best albums on vinyl as well), saw them more than half a dozen times dating back to '85 to 2008. If I was to recommend a starting place for someone to get into the band, I'd say seek out "No Remorse," an early compilation from '85 that included 4 new (at the time) tracks including Killed By Death as well as early iconic tracks like Overkill and Ace Of Spades.

There's other bands that have been around for decades in similar situations - here in SoCal, punk band Social Distortion can sell out half a dozen shows in a House Of Blues but have never had a breakout album or single. Another favorite band is Killing Joke who few people these days know about beyond their big single "Eighties" but they been plugging away since '79, still tour and have actually been putting out their best music the last 10 years.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.19 @ 03:38 PM
    Liked 628 Times in 295 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eat Us and Smile!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

05.19.19 @ 09:29 AM
    Liked 3,713 Times in 1,869 Posts

Sometimes even mainstream mass popularity bands just don't translate from country to country. Styx was a hit making machine in the US and yet is still almost unknown in the UK. Mr. Big was a small blip at the end of 80s rock in the US and seemingly disappeared to us but have remained a huge band in Japan.

People are different, even though you're not supposed to acknowledge that any more.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

05.15.19 @ 03:58 PM
    Liked 2,139 Times in 1,166 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It was his voice for me. Could.Not.Stand.It.

Saw them open for the Foos a few year back, and nothing changed.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

05.17.19 @ 11:37 PM
    Liked 3,601 Times in 2,282 Posts

Just didn't have the songs to gain an audience.

Last Online

05.19.19 @ 04:24 PM
    Liked 722 Times in 341 Posts

Lemmy did what he wanted his entire life & was unapologetic.

He drank a fifth of Jack a day.
    He smoked 2 packs of Marlboro Reds a day.
    He lost fuck knows how much money gambling & doing speed.

I liked to think of them as a heavier ACDC. You knew what you were going to get every two years, without failure. Saxon fell (and still falls, since they're still around) into the same category. They had a gravelly edge to them that didn't click with the mainstream like Priest & Maiden did. But that in no way means "they didn't have the songs". They just refused to adjust themselves. They're one on a very short list of bands who didn't "pop-ify" their sound during the MTV heyday. 1986, for example. Priest goes full on glam with Turbo, Maiden goes halfway glam with Somewhere In Time. What does Motorhead do? Releases their ugliest sounding fucking album ever, Orgasmatron. Hell, they went from 1987 to 1991 without releasing any new material because they refused to change and no label would sign them.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

05.15.19 @ 01:12 PM
    Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts

Yea, saying they didn't have "the songs" for mass appeal wouldn't be exactly correct IMO, more like the didn't have "the sound" for mass appeal. Lemmy is actually a helluva good songwriter and wrote really good lyrics, a lot of tongue in cheek and clever stuff buried in there.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

05.19.19 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 3,940 Times in 1,743 Posts

Premium Member

Sums it up

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk