Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Spanking Kids

Just wondering what your take on spanking your kids on the butt when they've acted up? I am talking just hand on the bottom.

I wasn't spanked as a child, but it retrospect, it might have been a good idea?
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I think it's the right thing to do, at times.

I don't believe in abuse, but I don't believe in negotiating with kids, either. Or making idle threats of consequences.

And no, I don't have kids.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.10 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was spanked as a child. Borderline abused but I was a pretty wild and determined boy. I have a daughter that is almost five. As soon as she was old enough to know better, we started to discipline her. I started with a stern voice and gradually to spanking with my hand. It's true what they say, " this is gonna hurt me nore than it's gonna hurt you." So about two years ago, we were watching Dr. Phil ( I know, you don't have to say it!) And he suggested taking away something that your child likes instead of spanking. A movie adn favorite toy a trip to the park etc. to "alter" the kids behavior to a favorable outcome. IT WORKED. Try it and see if it will work for you because hitting your child will only make it alright for them to hit others.

Last Online

01.13.07 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was spanked when I was little. I really didn't get it and I still don't! It didn't effect how I act now that much, just kinda showed me not to do this or that. I dunno if, when I have kids, I'll spank them or not. If they're as bad as I was at times, maybe.
    Last edited by evhslilhottie; 03.01.05 at 02:59 PM.
    So you broke down, trying to leave town, I broke down crying on your return. You left me feeling hopeful, I'll never see your face again. You made for a bad lover's liver. You stole all the covers and busted my head. You made me such an asshole, I wish we'd never met. I'm tired of being bored. I'm through with the headaches. Hiding my hands that tremble like earthquakes. Under the table, under the daytime sky, Good Fucking Bye- Good Fucking Bye, Alkaline Trio

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Nice post, jimmy. My thoughts are--

"Spare the rod, spoil the child."

"I got me a hankerin' for some spankerin'." Homer J. Simpson

If it's controlled and solely for the purpose of punishment, I say yes. I was spanked as a kid and (I think ) came out just fine.

I would only disagree if the parent cannot control their emotions and spanks while in a fit of anger.

-m
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Am the One
    Last Online

09.20.05 @ 06:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was spanked as a child and when I was in my teens my father use to hit me in the mouth. When I talked back to him. But I think its wrong to hit a child. I could never do it.
    EVH The King of guitar EVH

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Not a big fan of it, but I use it.
    I guess I'm just a big ol' wimp though, my Mom would hit me with her brush and that was usually enough to get me back on course. With mine I yell, scream, spank, threaten (and do) to take the X-Box privileges away for a week and it seems to phase 'em for all of five minutes...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Default could go on all day about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Red
    I think it's the right thing to do, at times.

I don't believe in abuse, but I don't believe in negotiating with kids, either. Or making idle threats of consequences.

And no, I don't have kids.

I agree with what you've said. I am not a parent but have been a teacher of 5-yr. old children for the past 10 years. Here's my take as a child from a loving home and my take as a teacher:

I was spanked once as a child. At the earliest age, I was taught that "no" meant "no" and there was no negotiating if my parents felt strongly about something. My parents were the parents. The reason I was only spanked once is that that's all it took. From that point on, all I needed was a look...not because I was scared of my parents but because I had a healthy respect for them (THEY were the parents, not ME). As a teacher, I see too many parents who are struggling with discipline b/c they waited too long to start it when their children were young. I think anything can be overused. For example, "time-outs", taking away priveledges/toys, spanking, etc. can all be worthless if used everytime a child acts in an inappropriate way. You've got to pick your battles...children are not going to be perfect all the time (they're children and everything is a learning and teaching experience). Redirection can be a very good tool but with all discipline, you can't wait until your child is 2 or 3 yrs. old to start. I believe that you have to start early letting your child know that you are the parent and there are certain things that are non-negotiable. Spanking, in my opinion, should be a last resort and used very rarely if needed. You don't want your children to be afraid of you...that's not a healthy relationship, but they do need to learn respect. I also see too many children in my school who flat out will not follow directions. For example, you ask a child to do something, he/she doesn't do it, you ask again, etc., etc., etc. It's very frustrating for teachers when parents have not taught their children to respect adults. I would like to see parents give an instruction, give a "warning" (i.e. I need you to do this because...and if you don't this is the consequence) and then follow up with the consequence. The empty threats are complete b.s. That's a classic example of a child being the parent. Do and mean what you say or children will learn at a very early age what buttons to push and will play you like a puppet. Just my $.02 worth from a teacher's perspective.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Last Online

03.10.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

im not a big fan of spanking.

the only times when i was spanked, was when i opened my mouth and said something that my father didnt like. now, my brother is younger than me, and he now thinks it is ok to hit me when i say something he doesnt like because he saw my dad do it.

i personally think that taking something away like a video game or toy or something the child really adores, is just fine. thats what my mom thinks works best, and it does work for me, so i dont do anything that my mom doesnt like. my bro on the other hand, aknowladges that he is punished from lets say going out side or he has a curfew, and still doesnt pay attention to it.

spanking, if done in a household with female and male children is a very bad thing because the spanking of the female by the father is proving to the male child that hitting females/ female siblings is the correct way to act.

that is just my opinion and please dont bash me about it.
    [On the House Un-American Activities Committee] "They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem."- Humphrey Bogart
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".- George Carlin
    "I just think people should be very free with sex. They should draw the line at goats." - Elton John
    "I'm just trying to figure out why you donít have any clothes on," the deputy said.

"Me too," Krauss replied.

"Donít forget! One sperm can ruin your whole day!"

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 6 1/2 year old and a 3 year old - both boys. We rarely have to spank them, but when taking away a toy, TV time, play time with friends, etc. doesn't work, we do do it. I was spanked as a child and so was my wife. That's just part of being a kid, IMO - you do stupid stuff and get spanked occasionally. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it's a "last resort" and doesn't become a chronic abuse type thing.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Middle of Tornado/earthquake alley.... so confused!!!
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

07.22.17 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ktgiles
    I agree with what you've said. I am not a parent but have been a teacher of 5-yr. old children for the past 10 years. Here's my take as a child from a loving home and my take as a teacher:

I was spanked once as a child. At the earliest age, I was taught that "no" meant "no" and there was no negotiating if my parents felt strongly about something. My parents were the parents. The reason I was only spanked once is that that's all it took. From that point on, all I needed was a look...not because I was scared of my parents but because I had a healthy respect for them (THEY were the parents, not ME). As a teacher, I see too many parents who are struggling with discipline b/c they waited too long to start it when their children were young. I think anything can be overused. For example, "time-outs", taking away priveledges/toys, spanking, etc. can all be worthless if used everytime a child acts in an inappropriate way. You've got to pick your battles...children are not going to be perfect all the time (they're children and everything is a learning and teaching experience). Redirection can be a very good tool but with all discipline, you can't wait until your child is 2 or 3 yrs. old to start. I believe that you have to start early letting your child know that you are the parent and there are certain things that are non-negotiable. Spanking, in my opinion, should be a last resort and used very rarely if needed. You don't want your children to be afraid of you...that's not a healthy relationship, but they do need to learn respect. I also see too many children in my school who flat out will not follow directions. For example, you ask a child to do something, he/she doesn't do it, you ask again, etc., etc., etc. It's very frustrating for teachers when parents have not taught their children to respect adults. I would like to see parents give an instruction, give a "warning" (i.e. I need you to do this because...and if you don't this is the consequence) and then follow up with the consequence. The empty threats are complete b.s. That's a classic example of a child being the parent. Do and mean what you say or children will learn at a very early age what buttons to push and will play you like a puppet. Just my $.02 worth from a teacher's perspective.

KT, I am with %100! My 7 yr old daughter is being brought up the same way you were KT. I have only had to spank her a few times. SNIC takes off her shoe and spanks the bottom of her foot. I know it sounds strange but it worked and he didn't have to spank her butt! Anyway, she KNOWS that no means no. We have never really had any problems out of her. I have seen plenty children who are lacking in the discipline department. I too have been a teacher for 12 years, 10 of those pre-school! Now I am in an elementary school, and let me tell you, I wish more parents would put their foot down! It does make it hard on us as teachers. There is only so much we can do at school! I say do whatever works best for your child.
    http://www.myspace.com/texaschic22
    It's private.. but if you at least say who you are from VH links I will add ya!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Yes, I do believe in spanking children if the situation warrants it. I am the father of 4 children. I have spanked all of them at various times. When I mean spank, I mean a swat on the hind end. I have never "hit" my kids.

Spanking has always gotten their attention and has shown them that we mean business. Their mother and I do not make idle threats (there is nothing more pathetic than a parent threatening their children with a spanking or other form of discipline and then not following through - kids need to know that they can trust their parents - even if it means discipline).

Anyways, I believe they have learned that there is a limit to how much you can get away with. If you cross the line, there will be a consequence. I think this is a good life lesson. A spanking is a good way to reinforce this. Sending them for a time out is a good trick to use, but sometimes, if the situation warrants it, a good spanking will reinforce who the boss is and that "when we law down the law, that's exactly what it is"!. Do I like spanking my kids? Hell no! I feel awful, but I want to be their Dad, not their friend. Its my responsibility to teach them right from wrong. And you know what? I think they want a Dad too.

Also, if you spank them, take the time later to sit down and talk it over with the kid. Hugs and kisses are powerful motivators as well as a swat on the backside. They need to know that you were angry with their behavior, but you still love them.

It's true! Parenting is not for Cowards!

Look out Dr. Phil...here I come!
    "Everything comes to me while I'm sitting on the pot." - EVH

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

I use the minimal amount of punishment to change behavior. Sometimes it does come to spanking, so yes.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Spare the rod, spoil the child is damn right..

I was spanked during my childhood days and I plan to do the same for my child, however it does take a responsible, mature adult to know not to go over the line of correctional spanking to abuse.

I've seen just with my own family and their kids which ones act up and which ones don't...it's amazing to see how a little spanking will go a long way.
    Last edited by rrussou812; 03.01.05 at 04:24 PM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As a bachelor there are two things I hate to see, a child being spanked and a child not being spanked.

I'm in an interesting position because I was spanked as a small child by my father (twice) and my mother (maybe four times). I also got the shit beaten out of me by my scumbag, ex-con, stepfather. Nothing irks me more than people who equate spanking with abuse. My parents loved me and I could be a handfull at times and it broke their hearts to spank me and my brother. My step-scumbag-father was simpley an evil man who took pleasure in inflicting pain. Thankfully the marriage was short,but the damage was perminant. He died a few years back and I couldn't be happier.

I don't know that I'll spank my own kids should I ever have any. But this is my own choice that I make for my own family. I make no judgement on parents who do or don't spank their own kids.
    Last edited by Axxman300; 03.01.05 at 04:41 PM.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300