Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Attenuators?

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Attenuators?

Looking for something to bring the volume down on my 5150. Has anyone ever used the THD Hotplate or the Weber Mass? Do these things affect your tone at all?

Last Online

10.24.09 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default THD Hotplate

I have a Hot Plate on my 1979 50 watt Marshall combo. I love it! It has seperate treble/bass boost switches which come in handy at lower volumes. Since I jam at home, the Hot Plate was a must. And you know what I mean if you've ever used a Marshall combo - those beasts are louder than hell!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:12 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I would say it depends on how low you want your volume. If you are talking bedroom volume, then I wouldn't use an attenuator. I have a Weber Mass, and at extreme levels of attenuation, the tone is horrible. I was running it with a DSL 50, and at bedroom levels all I got was fuzz and buzz and a sound that seemed as if my cabinet was under water. I had better success with the direct out on the unit in to the front of a small 30 watt Marshall combo. It was better but still not great. There are a lot of good practice amps out there now, so if you want low volume you would probably be better going that route. I've had my heart set on tube amps for a while, but for the volume I need they are not practical for me.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.06 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use a THD 16 ohm Hotplate with my non-MV amps, (Super Leads and Peacemaker). I really like it and would recommend it. It also has a line out. I have not used a Mass or equivalent, but generally speaking, I prefer attenuators and non-mv amps to MV's. That said, if volume is a real issue, having a master volume amp available is not a bad idea. Not sure why you would really need it with the MV 5150 though

Last Online

10.24.09 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

^^^

My Marshall combo has a MV. And I use a Hot Plate. I like it becuase it allows me to CRANK the master volume and run the preeamp much lower. That way the distortion is much smoother and ballsy. Totally different sound than cranking the preeamp.

My $.02