Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default First SIRIUS and now XM

looks as if I'll be dumping satellite radio as a whole...

XM Satellite Radio Lifts Monthly Fee by 30 Pct

Mon Feb 28, 2:32 PM ET Technology - Reuters

By Franklin Paul

NEW YORK (Reuters) - XM Satellite Radio on Monday said it would raise the monthly fee for its nationwide radio service by about 30 percent in April and would add some premium features to its basic plan, putting it on par with smaller rival Sirius Satellite Radio .

XM, whose shares jumped 13 percent, said the monthly subscription for its basic plan will rise to $12.95 from $9.99, effective April 2. For XM, the leader in the nascent pay-radio market that offers more than 100 channels of music and talk programming, it is the first price increase since its national launch in 2001.

Washington-based XM said the change will not result in a significant near-term revenue increase, because it is offering existing subscribers a chance to lock in long-term contracts for up to 5 years at current rates.

"But over the long term we do expect it to have a revenue benefit for us," said XM spokesman Chance Patterson.

XM, which currently has about 3.2 million subscribers, said it now expects to exceed its goal for 20 million subscribers by 2010, allowing it to lower the price of its satellite radios, which are sold for automobiles and as portable units.

Under the new pricing arrangement, XM subscribers will receive the XM Radio Online Internet service at no extra cost, compared to the current fee of $4 per month. They will also get "High Voltage," a channel featuring ribald radio hosts Opie & Anthony, which now costs $2 extra each month.

XM's racy "Playboy" radio channel will continue to be offered for an additional $3 per month.

Sirius also lets its users listen to a version of its channels over the Internet, and says it will not charge extra for the program of raunchy disc jockey Howard Stern when it debuts next year. Shares of Sirius, which has about 1.24 million subscribers, rose 8 percent.

Analysts said potential customers will likely accept XM's higher price, but said XM risks losing market share if consumers perceive Sirius' lineup of channels and sports programming as a better value.

"The only potential risk is at the retail level, by having them both at $12.95. But if XM keeps the (hardware) pricing lower than their competitor, then they may not have any loss in aftermarket share," said analyst April Horace of Janco Partners.

CIBC World Markets analyst Jason Helfstein raised his rating on XM shares to "sector outperformer" from "sector performer" and raised his share price target to $55 from $41.

Shares of XM were up $3.68 at $32.41 in afternoon trade on Nasdaq, while Sirius rose 43 cents to $5.58.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

XM Satellite Radio Lifts Monthly Fee by 30 Pct.

Are you Sirius?
    Ha ha. Sometimes I kill me.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I won't understand why anyone would want to pay to listen to the radio. That's what CDs are for.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen
    I won't understand why anyone would want to pay to listen to the radio. That's what CDs are for.
    As a truck driver XM or Sirius are life savers. The candy and the meaning. When you spend the majority of your time on the road, away from home and doing the WKRP in Cincinatti deal, satellite radio is awesome.

*You don't have to try and find something to listen to.
    *No losing the station while your favorite song from H.S. is on that you haven't heard on commercial radio...SINCE H.S.
    *The ability to have it on in the background, literally for hours on end, never hear the same thing twice in a day, let alone in a week.

Those are just 3 of probably a thousand reasons that I really enjoy XM. I haven't had it since I came off the road and I really miss it.

Oh, it's a tax write off for me when I'm in the truck. It's classified as a write off because I use it for business purposes. It stays in the truck, that's what I got it for and that 120-150/year, it's a beautiful thing.
    Last edited by RRMB; 03.01.05 at 05:53 AM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy
    As a truck driver XM or Sirius are life savers. The candy and the meaning. When you spend the majority of your time on the road, away from home and doing the WKRP in Cincinatti deal, satellite radio is awesome.

*You don't have to try and find something to listen to.
    *No losing the station while your favorite song from H.S. is on that you haven't heard on commercial radio...SINCE H.S.
    *The ability to have it on in the background, literally for hours on end, never hear the same thing twice in a day, let alone in a week.

Those are just 3 of probably a thousand reasons that I really enjoy XM. I haven't had it since I came off the road and I really miss it.

Oh, it's a tax write off for me when I'm in the truck. It's classified as a write off because I use it for business purposes. It stays in the truck, that's what I got it for and that 120-150/year, it's a beautiful thing.
    I agree. while I cant put it in my truck, I do enjoy it in my car and at home. Check out O&A if you can redrockin..they're hilarious. Tons of truckers listen to the show. They're on High Voltage 202 ($1.99/mo)
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

I'm with you.

And now with CD players that can play MP3s in the car, one cd can hold tons of songs.....

I'm sure XM is cool as hell, but I would never pay for it. And I listen to Stern every day, but once he's on Sirius......good luck Howie....see ya I'm not paying.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

CD's and such get stagnant after awhile - same ol'. I've heard new stuff on Sirius to the point of me emailing the DJ's to find out what it was (Jazz artists). To my surprise, they actually responded! I've been finding new music that is just fantastic (things I'd never hear on my local stations). In fact, I'm heading out to Border's at lunch to pick up the CD I emailed the DJ about. Plus, when I get tired of music, I'll switch it to some comedy or Maxim Radio for a little bit. I haven't listened to local radio since I got satellite radio. I'll listen to CD's once in awhile when I'm aching for some of my favorite stuff.

PS-I can listen to it thru the website, (minus the talk stations right now) so I have access to it at work and in the home.
    Last edited by TheresOnlyOneWay; 03.01.05 at 08:27 AM.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think if you've got widely varying interests, satellite radio is a great way to go. For me, I've got a lot of music, so I mostly just listen to my iPod. There are only really two radio programs I listen to, and they're both on at such odd hours of the day. I download all of Phil Hendrie's shows from his site, and I catch Art Bell when I can. On long drives, I'll sometimes listen to NPR. It's never too hard to find them.

If I spent my working hours driving, you can bet I'd have satellite radio.
    Last edited by MikeL; 03.01.05 at 08:30 AM.

Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

once you try it you wont go back.
    yeah i was in the same boat.... why pay for radio?
    well
    1. howard stern!!!!!!
    2. Nfl
    3. Hair nation - 023
    4. Maxim Radio

i truely love my sirius. i too have not listened to local radio since i signed up.
    i have been hearing tons of great old 80's hair band songs. brings back a lot of memories.
    i have an mp3/cd player in my car too. i made an mp3 cd of every van halen album. i can listen to it when i want, yet i get giddy when ever the reminder tells me van halen is up next.
    its good stuff.

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The same questions were asked years ago when cable TV first came around. Why would anyone pay for TV, when it's already free? It all came down to programming, and having a wide variety from which to choose. Why confide yourself to just three major networks and a few local TV channels that anyone can get with a set of rabbit ears. Today, you'd have a hard time arguing that pay cable channels such as Showtime and HBO have much better programming than the FCC ruled networks. For me, XM is my HBO. I love that I don't have commercials. I love the top quality programs. I love that I took a 1800 mile roadtrip and never once had to search and search for my favorite format. I also love the high quality audio. XM...no static at all.
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com