Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 05:28 AM
    Liked 23 Times in 8 Posts

Default 5150 Combo problem updates, need advice

I posted not long ago that I just bought a 5150 combo off EBAY. I notice that after about 10 minutes of it being warmed up it starts going crazy. Makes all kind of static noise and it comes and goes. Today I had some time to take the back of and check some stuff out. I took the Preamp tube covers off and reseated each tube. I noticed I have one tube socket that is a little loose but I don't have a screw driver small enough to tighen it. However I wiggled that tube around with the problem acting up and it had no effect on the problem. I wiggled all the tubes around it didn't seem to have any problem as well. I also unplugged the amp and removed each tube and inspected them, no cracks or glassy envelopes. I then made sure each tube was seated good. Has anyone had any problems with capacitors in these units?

Also can anyone give me directions (best way possible) to remove the chassis from the combo to get access to the electronics?

Does anyone think it could be a bad power tube? The past owner claimed the playing hours on it was low but who knows.

Anyone run into similar problems?
    Last edited by Dave King; 02.26.05 at 10:57 AM.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave dont take this the wrong way. But if you dont know how to take off the chassis you shouldnt even be thinking of poking around inside an amp. WAY too dangerous. Some caps (filter caps?) store enough juice that, even after the amp being shut off and unplugged for a long time, if you touch them you could get electrocuted. Take it to a good amp guy, it isnt worth the risk.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

It sounds like one of the preamp tube sockets is loose. See your tech. See your tech. See your tech.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Sorry maybe I just came across wrong. I am an electronic tech, I know how to discharge a capacitor, I used to work on TV's and a TV tube is the biggest Capacitor that you'll ever see. I was just a little overwelmed as the chassis looked tricky to get out at first glance. After I wrote this I quickly realized that it was only 4 bolts holding in the chassis and was able to get it out relavitely fast. With the chassis out I was able to see that the tube holder was loose not the tube socket itself. All tube sockets are in good condition and show no signs of cracks at all.

I did notice that Peavey used a "TON" of glue on the caps that aren't in the Power supply. Glue is not good for capacitors and can cause them to fail quicker if they are near any of the leads. I think their reasoning was to keep them from moving from vibration. But the glue has definetely ooozed a bit on some of them.

Because this cracking sound comes on no matter what input, channel or control is on I'm thinking it might be a Power supply cap. I see one cap's cover start to crack and that might be signs that its leaky. The thing that sucks about this is this I"ll have to take the reverb plate off to get the power supply board out.

Has anyone had any issues with the power supply caps? If so which one? Where can I get factory replacement caps. The local Peavey service center said they wont sell parts. I can get cross matched caps but I'd like to keep the amp circuitry the same.

If anyone has any experience with replacing any of these caps please let me know.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it turns out to be a cap, then a cross matched cap shouldn't be a problem. The amp's not a collector's item and the gain is so high a different cap should have no effect. It might even make it sound better.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave go to mouser.com. They have so much electronic stuff its unbelieveable! I've bought caps from them before. It might take a while to find what your looking for because they carry so much stock, but more than likely they have it.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Thanks for the resposnes. I appreciate them. I did contact Peavey and they sold them to me directly. I bought all the power supply caps for $40 bucks. I just plan on doing all 5 and being done with it. IT's better than taking the chassis out, unbolting the reverb and PS board and testing each cap.